autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IT'S OBVIOUS FLEX DOESN'T WANT YOU TO USE ROTARY???

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Bingo.

And I think you will agree with me here, John......

If you have ever used a DA sander on wood, you will much better understand what kind of "touch" the paint polishing process takes.

Does one "Mash Down" on the wood sander trying to remove all of the fine saw marks with 80 grit paper?

Of course not. So why would this technique work on paint with essentially the same tool??
    Exactly!

2. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    I somewhat disagree... Obviously, it does take some pressure to remove defects but how much is very subjective. I rarely ever use more than the weight of the machine.

Polishing paint is a finesse operation, not a grinding operation. Slow and steady is my preferred approach.

On any given job, especially towards the finishing end of the operation, my hand is usually under the polisher, lifting, rather than on the polisher pushing.
    I somewhat agree....low speed and slow arm movement works best for me to (but the man that taught me how to polish paint went at it full speed and moved quickly), and I suppose you could build up heat eventually by using just the weight of the machine (can also achieve this using full speed and fast arm movement). For me I am always looking for the fastest way to achieve any chore. By applying pressure (not my full body weight...not sure how many ft pounds either) I m able to build up heat alot faster. You do have to pay attention though or you can screw up fast.

Another problem that I see using only the weight of the machine is that it can get away from you before you'll have time to react.

As far as your final approach (lifting up on the machine) I don't get that at all. Makes 0 sense to me, but if it works for you then that is all that counts.
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    For me I am always looking for the fastest way to achieve any chore.

Not a bad thing always, but more prone to mistakes some ways.

As far as your final approach (lifting up on the machine) I don't get that at all. Makes 0 sense to me, but if it works for you then that is all that counts.
    I guess you have never sanded a fine woodworking project.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

5. Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I somewhat agree....low speed and slow arm movement works best for me to (but the man that taught me how to polish paint went at it full speed and moved quickly), and I suppose you could build up heat eventually by using just the weight of the machine (can also achieve this using full speed and fast arm movement)...

... By applying pressure (not my full body weight...not sure how many ft pounds either) I m able to build up heat alot faster. You do have to pay attention though or you can screw up fast.
    When I said slow and steady... I wasn't referring to arm movement or tool speed... What I meant was to allow the machine/pad/product some time to do the work rather trying to force the issue with excessive pressure. I feel that 2-3 lighter passes will result in a better finish than one hard pass.

As for the heat generated... Why would you try to build it up? Heat is a by-product of the polishing process, not necessarily something to strive for.

For me I am always looking for the fastest way to achieve any chore.
    The only time I'm looking for the fastest way is when it's something that I don't want to be doing... Or when I'm on a racetrack

Otherwise, I'm usually looking for the best result. If it takes me a little longer - so-be-it. Within reason of course.

Another problem that I see using only the weight of the machine is that it can get away from you before you'll have time to react.
    Never been a problem for me. I'm not saying a polisher has never walked or bobbled on me, but there are many reasons other than pressure applied that can cause that.

That has always been my practice for any polishing, by hand or machine. I always finish with very little, near zero, pressure. It is my opinion that is the way to the best, most refined, finish.

We all have our own experiences and develop/refine our processes accordingly, and there's no doubt that those processes will vary from person-to-person.

7. Thanks PaulMys thanked for this post
    Likes Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I somewhat disagree... Obviously, it does take some pressure to remove defects but how much is very subjective. I rarely ever use more than the weight of the machine.

Polishing paint is a finesse operation, not a grinding operation. Slow and steady is my preferred approach.

On any given job, especially towards the finishing end of the operation, my hand is usually under the polisher, lifting, rather than on the polisher pushing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mark;1762771[B
    ]I don't somewhat disagree, I just plain disagree....no offense intended though..[/B]..nothing personal, just talking methods here, not sayin' you're kids are ugly or anything....

I use a G8 and a G9.....with both machines, regardless of the pad, and the polish or compound my best results come when I am using a very light touch

there are two areas I feel I need to be careful

1. How much product am I using? Too much ruins a pad for me, and too little just doesn't create enough of that surface film of product I like to work with.
    2. How hard am I pressing? for me the sweet spot is that point where my foam pad is gliding over a thin film of product, without slowing down....very rarely do I even use the full weight of the machine, but like the man says, i find myself lifting occasionally....full contact and full speed is the goal

even when i'm using hard pads, like a hard white boss pad.... the light touch is enough to reap the benefit of them being a stiffer pad, but I'm not relying on any kind hard pressing

for me the 'tip of the spear' is the thin film of product
    Lance. You basically said everything 2black1 did

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I guess you have never sanded a fine woodworking project.......
    No I haven't but wouldn't mind learning
    “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Post Thanks / Like

When I said slow and steady... I wasn't referring to arm movement or tool speed... What I meant was to allow the machine/pad/product some time to do the work rather trying to force the issue with excessive pressure. I feel that 2-3 lighter passes will result in a better finish than one hard pass.

As for the heat generated... Why would you try to build it up? Heat is a by-product of the polishing process, not necessarily something to strive for.

The only time I'm looking for the fastest way is when it's something that I don't want to be doing... Or when I'm on a racetrack

Otherwise, I'm usually looking for the best result. If it takes me a little longer - so-be-it. Within reason of course.

Never been a problem for me. I'm not saying a polisher has never walked or bobbled on me, but there are many reasons other than pressure applied that can cause that.

That has always been my practice for any polishing, by hand or machine. I always finish with very little, near zero, pressure. It is my opinion that is the way to the best, most refined, finish.

We all have our own experiences and develop/refine our processes accordingly, and there's no doubt that those processes will vary from person-to-person.
    I don't want to argue with you brother. We agree on more things then we disagree

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to argue with you brother. We agree on more things then we disagree
    Likewise. I'm just clarifying my position based on your comments. No argument here.

Post Thanks / Like

Lance. You basically said everything 2black1 did
    yup, i think you misread with whom and to what I was agreeing and disagreeing

all good though, both you and 2black1s are fellas i pay attention to when you have info and advice

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234