autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Re: what's your weather currently like?

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I'm starting to get very worried now. Water is creeping it's way through the streets now, pushing up through the drains. The main street that mine joins onto is starting to flood at the river end, homes are still fine, and they were last time this happened 30 years ago.

The flood map suggests we will be ok. I'm told that catholic churches are always built on high land, well I have two within a 1-minute walk of my home. How true that is I don't know.

I'm also starting to worry about my cars. If the water comes in through the drains, it will lead into the garage. Our home is well raised, we will be fine, but those cars mean the world to me. I have the ability to put the XR8 on jack stands if needed, the others? I have also never put a car up on all four corners before, so I'm worried about that too.

My employers lost the battle to save their parents' home last night, only managing to get themselves home in time. Two of the guys are now stranded at home, the other actually lives in my street. They laid over 250 sandbags in vein.

6000 homes are without power due to substation that is unprotected being under water. The hospital I was in on Friday has just been sand bagged. 7300 homes will be flooded when the rivers peak early Monday. We still have clean, running water at this point. The supermarkets are being stripped, the town is now isolated with no road access in or out. No milk or bread left.

Just a little panicked.
    I understand what you're feeling, when we had our floods, there was a day I wasn't sure I would be able to get home, and my 82 year old mum was home alone with the animals, I stayed home the next day just in case, and the situation stabilised after that.

I didn't click like because I realise the situation isn't good, and there's nothing you can do about it, and there's nothing to like about that. Make sure you and your family stay safe, and I include pets in that, they are family too.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk

2. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DFB View Post
    I'm starting to get very worried now. Water is creeping it's way through the streets now, pushing up through the drains. The main street that mine joins onto is starting to flood at the river end, homes are still fine, and they were last time this happened 30 years ago.

The flood map suggests we will be ok. I'm told that catholic churches are always built on high land, well I have two within a 1-minute walk of my home. How true that is I don't know.

I'm also starting to worry about my cars. If the water comes in through the drains, it will lead into the garage. Our home is well raised, we will be fine, but those cars mean the world to me. I have the ability to put the XR8 on jack stands if needed, the others? I have also never put a car up on all four corners before, so I'm worried about that too.

My employers lost the battle to save their parents' home last night, only managing to get themselves home in time. Two of the guys are now stranded at home, the other actually lives in my street. They laid over 250 sandbags in vein.

6000 homes are without power due to substation that is unprotected being under water. The hospital I was in on Friday has just been sand bagged. 7300 homes will be flooded when the rivers peak early Monday. We still have clean, running water at this point. The supermarkets are being stripped, the town is now isolated with no road access in or out. No milk or bread left.

Just a little panicked.
    We may not be able to physically help you, but you gotta know that we are all thinking and praying for you and all the folks there who might be in harms way

Hang in there bud

4. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope things subside before your home and cars are impacted, DFB!

6. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes dgage, chilly, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today's update from the island of that we live in at the moment.

The Goulburn River peaked today and is now slowly receding or steady according to the BOM. Thankfully, the river didn't reach the predicted 12.2m and "only" reached 12.06m. It is expected to remain at over the major flooding level through Tuesday (above 11m). More rain is expected Thursday through Sunday though, and the water is expected to stay for several days.

I went for a walk this morning to see where the water was........I didn't need to go far. These are of the main street leading to mine and a side street. There is a small corner store/shopping strip where the black car is in the pic, the road completely under water from there all the way back to the main street of town. The water is slowly flooding up through the drains, making its way through the gutters and up onto the grass and into the road.

There is an eeriness to this, it's all completely silent and yet it's potential to change people's lives so potent. There are so many people out walking and checking things out, no one is working, the town completely idle save for those who are rushing around making preparations. People look scared but courteous and calm, a feeling of this is what it is, nothing can be done but wait. There is a strong feeling of isolation at the moment, some more so than others.

I am feeling helpless and guilty for not being able to do anything but sit and wait. I'm told I shouldn't be doing anything due to my procedure on Friday, but I hear all those who are volunteering and working so hard to do what they can for the town. I can only think ahead at what I can do in the coming weeks, what I can sacrifice to help.

The next picture is from one of my employers, his home completely surrounded but thankfully dry. His brand-new shed which he built himself a casualty.

These pics are from a coworker, again the home completely surrounded. The house is dry though, and I'm told as I write this the water is slowly receding.

The beginning -

Last night -

Today -

Three helicopters landed at the Scout Hall this afternoon, a few streets away from me, with essential supplies for the relief centers. There are more than 100 army personal in town to help.

I sort of had a bit of a panic attack yesterday over all this. Things are improving though, and we are safe and dry, unlike many.

8. Likes chilly, Big Dave, dgage, PaulMys, opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chilly View Post
    We may not be able to physically help you, but you gotta know that we are all thinking and praying for you and all the folks there who might be in harms way

Hang in there bud
    It's small victories for everyone in this town at the moment, so those words mean more than you will know.

10. Thanks chilly thanked for this post
    Likes chilly, dgage, Bosko, Big Dave, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our hearts go out to you DFB. Hate seeing pictures that as you said, change lives, and not being able to do anything either. Glad your home was spared. Take it easy and I hope you’re able to assist in the best way you can but take care of yourself.

12. Thanks DFB thanked for this post
    Likes Bosko, Big Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today's update.

Things are getting better, and people are starting to be able to move around again. In no way is it over though, many are still stranded in their homes and the road to recovering has only just begun.

The water flowing into my surrounding streets has mostly receded, and it looks as if the homes were spared in this area. The main road of town is open again in places, but the mess left behind is not pretty.

The Goulburn has fallen down to 11.81 and steady, but still above major flooding level. As I sit here typing, two army helicopters have flown over and are landing at the Scout reserve. The flood waters are now moving further downstream and are starting to effect towns in those areas, they brace for what they know is going to happen.

My role now is to run the family business for my three employers as they direct their attention to recovery of their parents' home. I'm told the whole house had 20cm of water through it, and they are currently gutting everything that has been destroyed. A job no one ever wants to do, and I certainly don't envy them. While I have ran the business before, it's never been under these circumstances, and I am very nervous. However, I will be doing so with my two favorite coworkers, two ladies who have been an important part of my life for a long time now and who I trust will rise to the challenge facing us in the foreseeable future. I want the guys to just do what they have to do and not worry about the business..........I HAVE GOT THIS, WE HAVE GOT THIS.

14. Likes Big Dave, dgage, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, say what you will about the likes of Facebook and the nastiness that lurks within that social platform, but Facebook has been crucial during this time. It's the quickest way of getting information to people who need it, where people can connect while being so isolated.

16. Likes Big Dave, BudgetPlan1, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Winds pretty steady for the last 24 hrs or so @ about 25 with gusts up to 35-40 mph I would guess. Finally getting some rain with it and need it bad as there was ZERO rain in October and combine that with unusually high heat / temps
    So far no damage from "nicky"
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

18. Likes Big Dave, PaulMys, opie, dgage liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The "eye" of the system moved right over us a few hrs ago- very calm with no wind or rain-- now the back side is even stronger than the front

Only got about 2" so far- most welcomed
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

20. Likes PaulMys, opie, dgage liked this post
Page 119 of 157 FirstFirst ... 1969109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129 ... LastLast