autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How often do you wash - what about LSP degradation

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    I've been thinking about this lately because I wash 1 to 2 times per week always using Reset. 2x a week is excessive, and I'll likely cut it down to 1x per week going into fall.
    YIKES! 2x within a 7 day period? Does the paint really merit a full cleaning that frequently? Especially with such an aggressive soap.

2. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL sometimes but not always. This week I just hit it with Ech20 QD. I definitely am guilty of touching the paint too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

One time a week sounds like it would work better. Using a detail spray for a quick wipe down instead a full on wash helps as well. Use Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Spray Wax anytime to bring back that just-waxed shimmer. Contains real carnauba wax in a easy spray formula.
    Nicholas • Customer Service
    Phone: 772.247.3420
    Nicholas@palmbeachmotoring.net

5. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    I've always wondered this. How often should I wash a truck that sits outside, driven maybe twice a week and either has a wax/sealant or coating on it.

I usually wash once a week and use something as a drying aid, such as aquawax, sonax BSD, Echo/Reload mix etc

Could this be the reason the waxes / sealants don't last as long as any others on this forum? Am I washing too much?

Am I washing too hard possibly? Any pointers? Yes I use the double bucket method.

I believe there is a STRONG correlation with contact washing and wax/sealant durability.

That physical part that occurs through hand washing, towel drying and towel buffing or anything where some sort of abrasion occurs on the surface of the paint, no matter how soft the towel is, or how light the pressure is, or how lubricated it is, contributes to the wear of the paint protection.

Manufacturer durability claims are mostly derived from a 1 wash per week basis. That's because the method of a consistent washing/drying schedule can determine the rate of wear that occurs through this process within reasonable accuracy.

So the more frequent you wash, the shorter the lifespan of the protection. Of course this is assuming there are NO toppers added. Just soap and water.

Adding toppers adds some complexity to this. Because if you add a topper once a week at EVERY wash, well then I suppose you continue to rejuvenate the protection indefinitely. So then it doesn't really matter what your base layer of protection is because your just continuously adding on top.

Since I've added Meguiars HPC to my truck I've been on a strict schedule of washing every 7 days (no toppers). My situation is much like yours, my truck is parked in the driveway 24-7 and I drive it a few times a week (it mostly stays parked). I have now switched my wash schedule to every 10 days because the truck stays very clean so I don't feel its necessary to wash so frequently based on the usage of the vehicle. If I drove every day, and drove a lot of miles then I'd probably stay on a weekly schedule. But as of right now, I'm going to keep it at 10 days and I probably won't go much farther out than that.

7. Likes CleanIT, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our cars sit under trees and get dirty quickly. I was always a once a month person but the more I started getting into trying new products I started washing more frequently.

Ech20 has been a great QD for Can Coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    I believe there is a STRONG correlation with contact washing and wax/sealant durability.

That physical part that occurs through hand washing, towel drying and towel buffing or anything where some sort abrasion occurs on the surface of the paint, no matter how soft the towel is, or how light the pressure is, or how lubricated it is, contributes to the wear of the paint protection.

^^^Nothing could be more true than this.^^^
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes CleanIT, evo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the main thing that degregates any "wax " , detail spray or just about any LSP is what's used in your wash bucket.
    Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions-- Winston Churchill
    The difference between genius & stupidity is genius has limits-- Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

My car sits outside 24/7 so I wash it twice a week, I like a clean car. I vaccume once a week.

13. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if ONR washes are less harsh on LSPs. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanIT View Post
    I wonder if ONR washes are less harsh on LSPs. Thoughts?

Still involves wiping of the paint so I would say no.

16. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast