autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inside Griot's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCarBlues View Post
    I have a graduate degree in bioinformatics, so I am no stranger to geeky! I’ll check out that video
    Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    Oh well then you will thoroughly enjoy that video because I have just a high school diploma and a lot of the stuff they were saying was flying very far over my headInside Griot's Garage
    I've got a 2 year tech degree for fixing cars; I had to google "bioinformatics"

Hahaha. I prefer turning bourbon into confidence Inside Griot's Garage

The only thing I can speculate on how Griot's has been slow with ceramic/alternate technology is just knowing how Griot's big emphasis is having products that are easy to use, regardless of your skill level.
    Knowing that your entry level enthusiast likely just buys a bottle and proceeds directly to overapplying it to their paint, I'd imagine them going straight to the socials to tear down Griot's if now they've got high spots/etc. (Yes, I have very little faith in a lot of the population...).

2. Likes Klasse Act, dgage, PaulMys, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I watched the video and wrote this post simultaneously.

The lab manager (from 303/Gold Eagle) with 3 degrees (chemistry, biology, and biochemistry) stated that the main difference between a ceramic coating and a graphene coating is the reduction in water spotting. He also said they stand behind everything they claim about their products. One thing they claim is a reduction in surface temperature which leads to the reduction in water spotting. He was completely unable to explain why the surface temperature is lower and how they test that it is in fact lower — he completely danced around the answer and kept referencing “because thermodynamics.” He ends up stating that the surface temp is lowered by tenths of a degree rather than whole numbers, when you spray the product on a hot surface (29:14). You don’t need to be a scientist to realize that tenths of a degree don’t make any difference in actual use.

Sounds like most of his job involved getting as much graphene oxide into solution (dissolved in the carrier solvents) as possible within a ceramic spray (35:54).

Theoretically the graphene oxide forms a layer of “carbon chain mail” (37:25) in addition to how we already know the ceramic component fills in the valleys of the clear coat… In my mind this entire extra component should be doing something measurable and effective above and beyond the base ceramic product, otherwise it’s complete snake oil (title of Pan’s video is “Are graphene coatings snake oil?”).

Also interesting is that 303’s minimum of 1 year durability claim is backed up by them washing a bumper 28 times with car soap and water (48:39)… No heat cycling? No introduction of traffic film or things you might reasonably expect to see on the road?

The rest of the video really didn’t have any pertinent information specific to graphene or graphene oxide implementation.

I know I came into this video with a bias, but to be honest I’m even more skeptical now. I’m all for progressing the field of detailing and using the scientific method, but in my opinion any claim that graphene or graphene oxide (in it’s current implementation) is making detailing products better is unfounded and baseless. Are there good products that have graphene/graphene oxide in them? Yes. Is it because of the graphene/graphene oxide? I’m far from convinced.

I hope I’m wrong and that this post doesn’t age well. Or I hope some lab finds a better way to implement graphene/graphene oxide… or hell some other buzz-wordy chemical/molecule! Doesn’t really matter what chemical it is. I just want good products from honest companies. I don’t want ineffective additional chemicals in products which allow the company to charge more for no reason — doing so completely undermines the market and slows advancement of things that are actually worth researching and implementing. For that reason, for now, graphene/graphene oxide is snake oil as far as I’m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes oneheadlite, CleanIT, dgage, PaulMys, opie and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like 2022's Teflon. Remember the hype surrounding that?
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes CleanIT, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So I watched the video and wrote this post simultaneously.

The lab manager (from 303/Gold Eagle) with 3 degrees (chemistry, biology, and biochemistry) stated that the main difference between a ceramic coating and a graphene coating is the reduction in water spotting. He also said they stand behind everything they claim about their products. One thing they claim is a reduction in surface temperature which leads to the reduction in water spotting. He was completely unable to explain why the surface temperature is lower and how they test that it is in fact lower — he completely danced around the answer and kept referencing “because thermodynamics.” He ends up stating that the surface temp is lowered by tenths of a degree rather than whole numbers, when you spray the product on a hot surface (29:14). You don’t need to be a scientist to realize that tenths of a degree don’t make any difference in actual use.

Sounds like most of his job involved getting as much graphene oxide into solution (dissolved in the carrier solvents) as possible within a ceramic spray (35:54).

Theoretically the graphene oxide forms a layer of “carbon chain mail” (37:25) in addition to how we already know the ceramic component fills in the valleys of the clear coat… In my mind this entire extra component should be doing something measurable and effective above and beyond the base ceramic product, otherwise it’s complete snake oil (title of Pan’s video is “Are graphene coatings snake oil?”).

Also interesting is that 303’s minimum of 1 year durability claim is backed up by them washing a bumper 28 times with car soap and water (48:39)… No heat cycling? No introduction of traffic film or things you might reasonably expect to see on the road?

The rest of the video really didn’t have any pertinent information specific to graphene or graphene oxide implementation.

I know I came into this video with a bias, but to be honest I’m even more skeptical now. I’m all for progressing the field of detailing and using the scientific method, but in my opinion any claim that graphene or graphene oxide (in it’s current implementation) is making detailing products better is unfounded and baseless. Are there good products that have graphene/graphene oxide in them? Yes. Is it because of the graphene/graphene oxide? I’m far from convinced.

I hope I’m wrong and that this post doesn’t age well. Or I hope some lab finds a better way to implement graphene/graphene oxide… or hell some other buzz-wordy chemical/molecule! Doesn’t really matter what chemical it is. I just want good products from honest companies. I don’t want ineffective additional chemicals in products which allow the company to charge more for no reason — doing so completely undermines the market and slows advancement of things that are actually worth researching and implementing. For that reason, for now, graphene/graphene oxide is snake oil as far as I’m concerned.

That's where I'm at with it. It has been said that in a lot of these Graphene products, the Graphene isn't even doing what many think it is (water repellency etc.). Unfortunately there is a lot of garbage in the detailing world and unless you're a chemist, there is very little to go off of in terms of how these products actually work.

There was a chemist on here (PiPUK) that would cut through a lot of the BS out there in the detailing world. He hasn't posted in quite some time.

8. Likes BlackCarBlues, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Sounds like 2022's Teflon. Remember the hype surrounding that?
    "Never wax your car again"

*disclaimer*...must come back once a year for maintenance Application...$250/Year to avoid warranty void

10. Likes Klasse Act, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BlackCarBlues....well said thereInside Griot's GarageInside Griot's Garage I read it and all I can say is that you sound like your making legit points to me.

I find it odd that 303 adds color to their spray coating whereas Adam's doesn't, they even have upgraded their graphene spray coating alreadyInside Griot's Garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

12. Thanks BlackCarBlues thanked for this post
    Likes BlackCarBlues, chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inside Griot's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    That's where I'm at with it. It has been said that in a lot of these Graphene products, the Graphene isn't even doing what many think it is (water repellency etc.). Unfortunately there is a lot of garbage in the detailing world and unless you're a chemist, there is very little to go off of in terms of how these products actually work.

There was a chemist on here (PiPUK) that would cut through a lot of the BS out there in the detailing world. He hasn't posted in quite some time.
    I agree. A lot of BS. I kinda view detailing products like Mexican restaurants. It’s all the same ingredients, just mixed different ways and in different concentrations to create something with a different name — and a lot of times that’s all you need to do to make a product work well in a different application! But I really wish I could see the work the chemists at these companies do, because from the outside looking in it feels like it’s a lot of pseudo-science. A lot of “throw it at the wall to see what sticks” rather than true research and innovation.

I’m not saying real breakthroughs never happen or real research never takes place — high-solids ceramic coatings come to mind… and perhaps that’s the equivalent of adding a deep fryer to the Mexican kitchen so that you can have burritos (paint sealants) and also chimichangas (ceramic coatings). In this analogy, graphene/graphene oxide would be like adding a new spice you can’t taste to a taco and charging extra for the taco because it’s now a fiesta taco!

14. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT, Bosko, dgage, opie, chilly and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. A lot of BS. I kinda view detailing products like Mexican restaurants. It’s all the same ingredients, just mixed different ways and in different concentrations to create something with a different name — and a lot of times that’s all you need to do to make a product work well in a different application! But I really wish I could see the work the chemists at these companies do, because from the outside looking in it feels like it’s a lot of pseudo-science. A lot of “throw it at the wall to see what sticks” rather than true research and innovation.

I’m not saying real breakthroughs never happen or real research never takes place — high-solids ceramic coatings come to mind… and perhaps that’s the equivalent of adding a deep fryer to the Mexican kitchen so that you can have burritos (paint sealants) and also chimichangas (ceramic coatings). In this analogy, graphene/graphene oxide would be like adding a new spice you can’t taste to a taco and charging extra for the taco because it’s now a fiesta taco!

Love the analogy! Adding chorizo to Chile con queso would be like adding a sealant to a carnuba wax!

Jay

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

16. Likes chilly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a resident of Chicagoland I can ASSURE you that all Mexican restaurants ARE NOT the same with the same ingredients. I know your being funny here but as a foodie I couldn't resist.

BlackCarBlues...I'd like to send you to Armondo's in Mexicantown and then report back to the group, I really miss being able to go there whenever I wantInside Griot's Garage

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

18. Likes BlackCarBlues liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    As a resident of Chicagoland I can ASSURE you that all Mexican restaurants ARE NOT the same with the same ingredients. I know your being funny here but as a foodie I couldn't resist.

BlackCarBlues...I'd like to send you to Armondo's in Mexicantown and then report back to the group, I really miss being able to go there whenever I wantInside Griot's Garage

So what you're saying is that Armondo's is the Swissvax of the Mexican restaurants?

EDIT: Damn... now I really want Mexican food for dinner!

Page 55 of 71 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast