autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Opti-Coat Hyper Seal

Yes it was over 24 hours. For some reason it didn’t bond well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    I was using Optimum Car Wash. I even went back over it again and it was dead. Even before the wash the hydrophobics were very poor. I must not have done something right. I did a full decon, strip with OPC, polish and paint prep with Gyeon Prep. I did put a second layer on 8 hours later, which per OPT is fine. Only needs an hour to set. I'm debating on whether to give it another shot or just use something else I have on hand.
    What polish did you use? Could have left lots of oils behind which Gyeon prep did not remove. Also, did you apply a lot (liberally wet the whole surface) of Gyeon prep and let it dwell? You need to make sure you are getting all polishing oils off. A one year sealant shouldn’t last 2 days. The fact that optiseal only lasts 3 weeks for you also makes it seem something is off about the whole process.

3. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Griot’s Polish. I followed the same process I always do but I suppose there could be more to it. I don’t know. Opti-Seal doesn’t last long for most people I have talked to.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had optiseal last 6 months so 3 weeks seems like a bad bond to me.

Since you’ve already polished, why not wash it a few times with your optimum car wash, then use gyeon prep again, then apply hyper polish like a wowa, and leave it alone, dry, and untouched for 24 hours other than initial wipe off of high spots.

See how the beading is and how long it lasts after that.

6. Likes CleanIT, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang View Post
    I’ve had optiseal last 6 months so 3 weeks seems like a bad bond to me.

Since you’ve already polished, why not wash it a few times with your optimum car wash, then use gyeon prep again, then apply hyper polish like a wowa, and leave it alone, dry, and untouched for 24 hours other than initial wipe off of high spots.

See how the beading is and how long it lasts after that.
    Lot of people out there with bad process then. Read a-lot about opti seal not lasting anywhere near 6 months.

8. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used Griot’s Polish. I followed the same process I always do but I suppose there could be more to it. I don’t know. Opti-Seal doesn’t last long for most people I have talked to.

If your process last for your Megs CQD and GC3-1 then your process should be fine for Hyper seal.

I do agree with washing after or before Prep to make sure your working with a clean slate before you write it off as mediocre.

10. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    Lot of people out there with bad process then. Read a-lot about opti seal not lasting anywhere near 6 months.

One thing I noticed about wowa sealants is that they also need a good cure time before allowing any moisture to touch them including evening dew. Some of those spray and wipe sealants may not be as sensitive. But Ultima PGP (and likely optiseal) I found were very sensitive. If you let it cure 24 hours in a garage it was multiple times more durable and with better water beading behavior than if you put it on at the end of the day while daylight was going down. The difference was huge.

So, ninja, those 24 hours with no water contact, was it also inside a garage or someplace not susceptible to dew?

12. Likes CleanIT, dlc95, Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcwang View Post
    One thing I noticed about wowa sealants is that they also need a good cure time before allowing any moisture to touch them including evening dew. Some of those spray and wipe sealants may not be as sensitive. But Ultima PGP (and likely optiseal) I found were very sensitive. If you let it cure 24 hours in a garage it was multiple times more durable and with better water beading behavior than if you put it on at the end of the day while daylight was going down. The difference was huge.

So, ninja, those 24 hours with no water contact, was it also inside a garage or someplace not susceptible to dew?
    It was applied at 11am and the humidity was only 54%. The car was parked outside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    If your process last for your Megs CQD and GC3-1 then your process should be fine for Hyper seal.

I do agree with washing after or before Prep to make sure your working with a clean slate before you write it off as mediocre.

That's what I'm thinking. I didn't have this issue with HCD/GG 3 in 1. Same process used. I don't have an answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Average beading from Hyper Seal.

This is what the beading looked like, which seems to be on par with most sealants and even Opti-Seal when I tried it. I would say at this point it is possible I washed the car too soon and maybe it wasn't fully cured or there was still some underlying residue left behind. Only way to tell is to try it again but I will say I'm hesitant in doing so.

It did feel completely dry and "grabby" though.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast