autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A topic that has been beaten to DEATH - ONR vs. N-914

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    Is using the same ratio for the wash good enough for the pre-soak, or should I make it a little stronger?
    Good enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSnoop View Post
    Does that mean you'd rank Griots BFRW after ONR?
    No, just ranking what OP posted. If it had a better dilution i might put it ahead of 914. It requires double the amount tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ended up with a BRS and ONR, had fun assembling a new bucket with a grit guard and a couple of gallons of distilled water. I filled a spray bottle with a little bit of the mix as a pre-soak. My car wasn't dirty at all, jusy covered in those yellow-green water spots. I was surprised to see how quickly the solution loosened up the stains, I don't think the Ultimate Waterless was able to do it as effectively.

I don't have thr best drying towel but it's not trash either, it was pretty soaked by the time I was done. I wondered how much of the 2 gallons would be used, I was surprised to see that about half was gone after I was done. I must have left a good amount in the sponge, I thought that having more in the sponge would be better than having less.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with the experience! I don't have my technique down but it'll be fun figuring that out going forward.

Is using the same ratio for the wash good enough for the pre-soak, or should I make it a little stronger?
    You could use the same ratio, or bump it up a bit. Or use Opti-Clean. Opti-Clean was streaky to me though as a waterless wash.

Take a look at the scratch test done by TFDC. Pretty interesting.

Waterless Wash Scratch Test | The Best Waterless & Rinseless Wash - YouTube

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    ONR works better with distilled water per Dr. G.

I love Griot's RW. Flashes fast and leave zero behind.

They are all great but each has their unique feel to them. According to Yvan what makes ONR unique is that it's "zwitterionic". Are the others? Don't know and don't know if it matters.

Forensic Detailing Channel did a scratch test between ONR, Megs and a few others (not Griot's) and ONR produced the least amount of scratches. That could be why ONR is a tad more streaky as it contains more polymers. Just a guess.

"The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles."

"
    Softer water cooperates well with ONR. ONR's actives bond to the minerals of hard waters, therefore you may add more ONR to harder waters. DI/distilled water have no such minerals and the cleaning/protecting power of ONR can be exploited without weakening. These kind of waters will feel slimier than tap water."
    I was intrigued by "This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles." My garage queen was mainly dusty from dust/pollen, and maybe a little dry road grim from driving. I ended up adding ONR to my foam cannon along with my current choice of soap, GFS. I'd say I added about 2ml of ONR to the 3ml of GFS, then added DI water up to about 600ml. I like how this turned out. It foamed really close to how GFS foams by itself. I can't say definitively that it lifts dirt better, but I liked the feel of my washing pad across the paint. I guess we'll have to see over time if any swirls come to light. I thought I'd share. If it does increase the protection from scratching the paint during washes, mark me down to use it regularly as an add in.

7. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Azure View Post
    I was intrigued by "This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles." My garage queen was mainly dusty from dust/pollen, and maybe a little dry road grim from driving. I ended up adding ONR to my foam cannon along with my current choice of soap, GFS. I'd say I added about 2ml of ONR to the 3ml of GFS, then added DI water up to about 600ml. I like how this turned out. It foamed really close to how GFS foams by itself. I can't say definitively that it lifts dirt better, but I liked the feel of my washing pad across the paint. I guess we'll have to see over time if any swirls come to light. I thought I'd share. If it does increase the protection from scratching the paint during washes, mark me down to use it regularly as an add in.
    The latest version of ONR works really well. Cleans extremely well IMO. They improved the lubricity. I've been bouncing back and forth between ONR and Ech20.

9. Likes Azure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The latest version of ONR works really well. Cleans extremely well IMO. They improved the lubricity. I've been bouncing back and forth between ONR and Ech20.
    Is this the batch with the gold "New Formula" sticker on it? I was a newbie last fall when I first tried it...now I feel like I'm a pro. I think I've done a traditional soap and water wash maybe 3 times this year...and a rinseless wash at least 3x as many.

11. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is this the batch with the gold "New Formula" sticker on it? I was a newbie last fall when I first tried it...now I feel like I'm a pro. I think I've done a traditional soap and water wash maybe 3 times this year...and a rinseless wash at least 3x as many.
    Yeah gold sticker on it. Rinseless washes are great and can be a QD, wash and drying aid. I love ONR and Ech2o. Using Ech2o more lately.

13. Likes vaca22, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah gold sticker on it. Rinseless washes are great and can be a QD, wash and drying aid. I love ONR and Ech2o. Using Ech2o more lately.
    Have you tried N-914 or Feynlab Pure Rinseless? If so do you like ONR better?

15. Likes CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I haven't tried those. I thought about it though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

I've tried all of the above. Started with N-914 and moved through the rest, and still have some of each on the shelf.

In my own experience I find the new formula ONR to be the best for standard rinseless wash duties. It has better surface wetting capabilities and appears to encapsulate better, as in it actually sticks to the surface and clings onto dirt and debris. It also has plenty of lubrication, and is the easiest to dry as the formula seems to flash the drying streaks away nicely, without drying too fast like N914 or FPR. It cleans pretty well too, but doesn't handle grease as well as the others. I don't really use N914 as a rinseless wash anymore, I feel it's best as a waterless wash and as a clay lube. Feynlab Pure Rinseless (and now ADG Fuzion) has replaced it as deep cleaning rinseless washes for me, both of which are similar with FPR being chemically the most aggressive.

ONR definitely wins in the idiot-proof category though, it's just so easy to use and gets great results. A lot of people say they have moved on from ONR but I think it still is top tier rinseless. It just lacks the flexibility of the others. I don't like it for anything but rinseless.
    Colin Lang
    @DimensionalShine <- My Detailing IG Page

18. Likes CleanIT, DFB liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast