autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating single stage paint - should you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the actual deal...

If the coating you use requires you to use a panel wipe (solvent) to chemically strip the paint before applying the coating, with OLD single stage paint like solvent-evaporation lacquers and enamels - the act of chemically stripping this type of paint with a solvent can DULL the paint down.

If it's NEW old school type paint or NEW modern URETHANE single stage paint - no problems.

This question comes up from time to time. The first thing I do is what I did? Ask the TYPE of paint you're working on.

Condition is a factor too with old school paints. There's a difference between the ORIGINAL dried out paint on a 1952 Chevy and the single stage paint on a 1952 Chevy that was REPAINTED in 1978 and then maintained.

Clear as cloudy clearcoat?

At least I know it CAN be done......not that I'm going to try it anytime soon, though

Post Thanks / Like

Does the Megs #7 treatment have any benefit to a MODERN single stage paint? I thought it was only for the OLD SS and oil enriching process won't benefit modern urethane paint, SS or not. I have a poorly maintained 2006 Toyota Tundra which I believe is a modern SS urethane and I was planning on going straight to polish. But, I do have a bottle of #7 if it'll benefit the oxidized and neglected paint. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanktm View Post
    Does the Megs #7 treatment have any benefit to a MODERN single stage paint? I thought it was only for the OLD SS and oil enriching process won't benefit modern urethane paint, SS or not. I have a poorly maintained 2006 Toyota Tundra which I believe is a modern SS urethane and I was planning on going straight to polish. But, I do have a bottle of #7 if it'll benefit the oxidized and neglected paint. Thanks in advance.
    If its pure white, it's single stage paint. Compound and polish would be my guess.

4. Likes seanktm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish it like normal. Just have plenty of pads ready.

6. Thanks seanktm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Polish it like normal. Just have plenty of pads ready.
    The last single stage car I worked on was Red. It turned all my white polishing pads "PINK". LOL

8. Thanks seanktm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psnt1ol View Post
    The last single stage car I worked on was Red. It turned all my white polishing pads "PINK". LOL
    Ah, I heard about this. Was this permanent staining? Should I put these pads aside for single stage jobs only? I will be using 6 brand new Uro-Tec Yellow Polishing Pads (or Maroon Cutting). Maybe I should've ordered some cheap B&S flat pads for the single stage job? Any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

The pads are still in use.

After cleaning, they still have a light pink tint but they are still working fine. I normally set up a bucket of pad cleaning solution and throw the used pad in to soak for easier cleaning later. I didnt do it that time and didnt get back to them until the following day. This was mainly the cause of the staining.

When people ask me why my pads are pink these days, I just tell them they are designers. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

@seanktm

Don’t know if you have seen this video that Mike and Yancy did. There is a brief discussion, towards the end. Makes for a good watch and learning..

It’s been a few years ago now but a friend of mine has a 1st generation WHITE tundra. We did a test spot on a rear “chalky” panel. I’m actually drawing a bit of a blank right now but we used either Megs or Sonax Polish with really good success without using Megs 7
    Unfortunately, he let the paint go again and a few years later, it was back to chalky.
    Steve

Mike Phillips

Was this permanent staining?

Should I put these pads aside for single stage jobs only?

I will be using 6 brand new Uro-Tec Yellow Polishing Pads (or Maroon Cutting). Maybe I should've ordered some cheap B&S flat pads for the single stage job?

Any tips?

Tips?

Wash and re-use forever or until they disintegrate. The staining has zero effect.

From this recent detailing class

Pictures: 2020 September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class

Here's one of 17 cars this class detailed.

Here's the single stage paint on some of the pads the classed used before I throw them into the washing machine.

Here I've laid them out to the best of my ability like you see in the BEFORE picture above in post #16

Been detailing cars for over 30 years and over this time I've worked on a LOT of single stage paint. It's no big deal. Wash the pad, dry them use them again and again and again.

I actually met a detailing personality this year that told people you had to throw them away.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I heard about this. Was this permanent staining? Should I put these pads aside for single stage jobs only? I will be using 6 brand new Uro-Tec Yellow Polishing Pads (or Maroon Cutting). Maybe I should've ordered some cheap B&S flat pads for the single stage job? Any tips?
    I forgot to post this. This FJ has modern day single stage. Normal polish and coating. As I mentioned have plenty of pads if it is heavily oxidized. Pads will not be stained.

2008 FJ Cruiser TRD Trail Teams Edition Polished and Ceramic Coated

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast