autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Turtle Wax GRAPHENE Flex Wax

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Some of those products that passed the torture tests with flying colors wear off the car in the same 4-6 weeks of mother nature abrasion as the ones that get wiped out right away.

Unless you are putting those chemicals from torture tests on your car frequently you have to look at them with a grain of salt. Yes I still watch the videos and yes I prefer some of those products that pass those tests.

So many factors go into longevity though.
    Turtle wax seal n shine. Got a month with just 2 BH auto foam washes (alkaline). Does great in torture tests. Just figure either way you get a month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick100 View Post
    unfortunately very few people do those tests, and even then it is very hard to really compared two products. You can only go with what people are saying online , which is even harder because people have different driving habits, some maintain there cars more than others, some leave on cleaner cities than other, the weather could be different too , some people may be even exaggerating the longevity of the product just because they like the product .

Is the torture test a definite answer , hell no, but it is the prefer go to metric that the vast majority goes by and it is technically a more fair test if you were to compare 2 products in one day . I still say the torture test is a test with many flaws but it is still a test that gives you an idea of the durability of a product. I mean , products that are known for bad durability ( beadmaker) tend to do bad on the torture test and in real driving conditions they tend to fail early and products that are known for durability ( seal and shine) and do well on these torture test usually do better in real driving conditions.

There is a trend with the torture test that usually goes with what people are seeing in real driving conditions for the most parts. There may be exceptions , but overall the torture test is not that far from the truth
    I’d have to disagree. The torture test is nothing like real life . Even if stuff if rain grime dirt is somewhat same in PH to the products they use the don’t get agitated in.

Completely different environment

4. Likes KBsToy, Craig Encinitas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I’d have to disagree. The torture test is nothing like real life . Even if stuff if rain grime dirt is somewhat same in PH to the products they use the don’t get agitated in.

So a product that does bad in a torture test with just chemicals is somehow going to do better on a worst environment?. I find it hard to believe that. My experience has been a little bit different, but I m still trying different products so there may be some truth to that

Products like reload, beadmaker , F11, have done terrible on torture tests and we all know there durability is questionable in real life conditions . I personally like reload stuff and it has been my go to sealant for a long time , but I top reload every 2 months. Even on my "garage queen " car reload may last me 3 months at most. I do not know every product though . I can just go by what I tried and what i ve seen .

There are other products that have done fantastic in a torture test like seal and shine, lite coatings, ceramic coatings, and they do somewhat great in real life conditions.

I don't expect more than 3 months durability , even on good sealants , on a daily car that is park outside 24/7 in a Canadian winter environment, even in the summer time there is ton of construction around my area so the car gets dirty quick. If a sealant does bad on a torture tests for me its already a red flag, so unless the sealant is giving me some type of good gloss like beadmaker or tac shinee , or the sealant comes in cheaper than other options like turtle wax products , I do not see the point in buying it . On that particular product I mentioned , you are paying ceramic coating price already

I wouldn't pay premium price for a product unless it is outstanding in one category, by outstanding, I mean a lot better than other products.

But I will give that the product says its environmental friendly, and I think the premium price has a lot to do with that. Which is fine , it is important for a lot of people

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post

Where LSP's in particular are concerned, a 'torture test' is akin to looking at a sunset through a straw and declaring it the most beautiful ever; it's a very, very narrow view of the entire experience. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind their use in the realm of YouTube product testing, that being that nobody wants to read/watch a story with no ending or conclusion and ya can't do 'long term' in a 15 minute YouTube video. So, we come up with the 'torture test' to use a somewhat believable methodology (and I use the word 'believable' very, very loosely) designed to wrap up the entire enchilada in a quick view format. Problem being that it is simply not 'real world' and the real world is a very, very different place that a YouTuber's garage. Although I live in Cleveland where our river once caught on fire and we still do emissions testing because of air quality issues, I have yet to encounter a rainstorm of APC or degreaser...it just doesn't happen.

Polishes, compounds and other such product can be completely evaluated in a short YouTube video and would be a fair and accurate representation but passing judgement on something in 'real world conditions' based on a simulated longevity substitute is, at best, a 50-50 proposition; it will either come out as noted in video or it won't. May as well flip a coin at that point.

A realistic example of this is the above mentioned "Cheap V Expensive' test of Gtechniq C2V3 & IGL Premier. I've used both products (heck, C2V3 was such a downer that I bought a bottle 1.5 years later to try it again just to see if I had somehow missed something in my initial experience with it) and I'll take IGL Premier any day of the week due to how it performed on my test panels. These test panels were the hoods of vehicles that drove around in the weather for a few thousand miles...C2V3 didn't hold a candle to IGL Premier in any measure except cost. I didn't throw any chemicals at 'em or anything like that but rather let the outside world and Mother Nature take care of that.

A short YouTube vid can put something in your head as "Hey, maybe I wanna try that..." but it's a mere starting point for further due diligence as to how it will REALLY do when you spray it on your car. And I'd trust the actual experiences of many members of these forums before I'd make a purchasing decision based on a YouTube 'Influencers' recommendations of their 15 minutes experience with a product, even if they let a school of great White Sharks puke on the test panels (very, very powerful digestive enzymes)...although that would certainly be a video I'd bookmark for multiple viewings.

Just my opinion so YMMV.

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas, PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100$ canadian for a 500 ml bottle is a high price to pay for a sealant... I can get cquartz uk with reload package as a package for cheaper in Canada.

I m all for trying new products, but there is a price point where I need to check more sources... As many flaws as a torture tests can have, the same could be said for online members and their experiences. I can tell you that reload on my daily may last 4-6 weeks , in the winter much less, if its raining season could be less. On my garage queen that sleeps inside 3 months , maybe a bit more . There is just too many variables , it doesnt matter if it is a youtuber or online forum members.

It could be a great product and all. I would personally be much less inclined to try a new product that costs more than a reputable ceramic coating. It could be a great product , but for me it would have to be that much greater to even consider it at that price point.

IGL could even be what I m looking for as a standalone product but putting my trust on a few people experiences with that price point is a 50/50 without some hard evidence to back it up. I like detailing and I probably spend a lot more than I should on equipment but I do have other expensive hobbies and I still want to buy more equipment haha

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    There’s that saying...

Find something that works for you, and use it often.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

100$ canadian for a 500 ml bottle is a high price to pay for a sealant... I can get cquartz uk with reload package as a package for cheaper in Canada.

I m all for trying new products, but there is a price point where I need to check more sources... As many flaws as a torture tests can have, the same could be said for online members and their experiences. I can tell you that reload on my daily may last 4-6 weeks , in the winter much less, if its raining season could be less. On my garage queen that sleeps inside 3 months , maybe a bit more . There is just too many variables , it doesnt matter if it is a youtuber or online forum members.

It could be a great product and all. I would personally be much less inclined to try a new product that costs more than a reputable ceramic coating. It could be a great product , but for me it would have to be that much greater to even consider it at that price point.

IGL could even be what I m looking for as a standalone product but putting my trust on a few people experiences with that price point is a 50/50 without some hard evidence to back it up. I like detailing and I probably spend a lot more than I should on equipment but I do have other expensive hobbies and I still want to buy more equipment haha
    All valid points. Sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice and hope for the best!

Once ya hang around forums for a while, you kinda get a feel for the folks who can judge products accurately, albeit in their particular climates. Heck, I found my favorite coatings from an well-respected Autopia Forum member (Are ya still watching, Ronkh? :angel: ) who suggested I try the maintenance spray and when that did so well, I found a user on an Australian forum who had a lengthy post outlining his long term use of same brand of coatings.

Like the products themselves, research and value can take many different paths and however you arrive at the destination, the journey is part of the fun no matter which road ya take.

13. Thanks Craig Encinitas, PaulMys thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am currently quite happy the standard HS line. I use the wet wax quite often after my washes to maintain the spray coating. I might try the flex wax come spring just to try it.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

15. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle Wax GRAPHENE Flex Wax

So a product that does bad in a torture test with just chemicals is somehow going to do better on a worst environment?. I find it hard to believe that. My experience has been a little bit different, but I m still trying different products so there may be some truth to that

Products like reload, beadmaker , F11, have done terrible on torture tests and we all know there durability is questionable in real life conditions . I personally like reload stuff and it has been my go to sealant for a long time , but I top reload every 2 months. Even on my "garage queen " car reload may last me 3 months at most. I do not know every product though . I can just go by what I tried and what i ve seen .

There are other products that have done fantastic in a torture test like seal and shine, lite coatings, ceramic coatings, and they do somewhat great in real life conditions.

I don't expect more than 3 months durability , even on good sealants , on a daily car that is park outside 24/7 in a Canadian winter environment, even in the summer time there is ton of construction around my area so the car gets dirty quick. If a sealant does bad on a torture tests for me its already a red flag, so unless the sealant is giving me some type of good gloss like beadmaker or tac shinee , or the sealant comes in cheaper than other options like turtle wax products , I do not see the point in buying it . On that particular product I mentioned , you are paying ceramic coating price already

I wouldn't pay premium price for a product unless it is outstanding in one category, by outstanding, I mean a lot better than other products.

But I will give that the product says its environmental friendly, and I think the premium price has a lot to do with that. Which is fine , it is important for a lot of people
    I apologize it seems you read my quote as you are wrong. I did not. I said i disagree which means I have a different opinion. Neither of us can prove what we say we just form opinons on data we gathered and I came up with a different conclusion.

I did a test (you can find it under griots 3-1). And got a month out of seal n shine and it was out performed by 3-1 everystep of the way.

Who’s to say real world is a “worse” environment. I’d think throwing harsh chemicals stacked back to back is way worse.

Also as i said different environment completely with no similarity. We aren’t throwing Apc’s, wheel cleaners and tar removers at out LSP’s daily and rubbing them in.

Just restating what i posted as it was not to start a debate. You formed your opinion and my intent was not to change it but let others who read now and later that I don’t agree (as many other’s) with your statements.

Neither of us have the scientific data to disprove one another. Just giving our opinions.

Lastly as you pointed out. We all will have different experiences based on our conditions. Paint type, preparation, temperature, humidity, weather. Products will perform differently for us all unless anyone hear are neighbors sharing the same garage with the same car, bought from the same place at same time.

And second lastly i would trust someone here using the product in a real world environment possibly similar to yours who bought their product and not making a video for income or possible future income over a youtube video guy.

17. Likes BudgetPlan1, rick100 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lastly not to thread jack but @AcuRAS82 what’s your opinion of IGL premier vs Cosmic Spritz vs Overcoat. I put IGL in the premium topper category and not coating lite’s.

If you don’t feel like posting here or starting new thread, pm me.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast