autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Waterless wash or just water

I have a black '06 Shelby Mustang. I drive mostly on weekends as a pleasure car. Garage kept. Of course it is not immune to attracting every piece of dust known to mankind. I'm exaggerating but I think most know what I mean when it comes to black.

My question after a weekend drive, no rain involved, being black, is it best to go with a waterless wash and some AG microfibers or should I just get the hose, rinse it off and dry with my leaf blower. My objective is to avoid inducing any swirls or scratches. Sometimes the dust after a drive makes me reluctant to waterless wash. But was wondering what other black car owners do.

We all know, when it's clean, all be it for 30 min lol, nothing looks better than black.

Open to ideas. Thanks.

Ernie

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Waterless wash or just water

I've had black cars in the past and while I understand what your saying about WW I wouldn't sweat it too much. I mean yes, a simple snow foam/dwell/rinse/blow dry has ZERO touching involved but with proper techniques and QUALITY plush, edgeless mf towels used during a WW, you'll be fine IMO. Pre-treating each panel and not being afraid to use too much product is a great ideaWaterless wash or just waterWaterless wash or just water

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Drying the vehicle with a blower of some sort will not remove every bit of water. You will still need to touch the surface with a towel of some type. A quality plush microfiber with a detail spray will leave the surface completely clean and dry. A proper technique will not leave swirls behind.

4. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to add, not to be disrespectful but it's a car and the act of driving it anywhere can throw ANYTHING at it, just sayin'Waterless wash or just waterWaterless wash or just water

2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

6. Likes DUBL0WS6, Desertnate, goldendodo19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    I would also like to add, not to be disrespectful but it's a car and the act of driving it anywhere can throw ANYTHING at it, just sayin'Waterless wash or just waterWaterless wash or just water

Especially the guy in front of you that turns his windshield washer fluid on at 70 mph.

8. Likes Klasse Act, gorillapr, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an awesome ride!

The problem with just hosing off the car with water is that, IMO, it will not get the paint clean enough. I have seen videos on youtube of guys using pressure washers to hose off their cars. Even with the high pressure, there is still plenty of road grime and dirt left on the car's paint. In order to adequately clean the paint, you need to make contact with the paint.

Of course, the goal is to clean without inducing scratches or swirls. If you use a rinseless or waterless wash solution that gives you lots of lubricity, soft microfiber towels, and, very importantly, the right technique for both washing and drying, you will have clean paint with very minimal swirls or scratches.

10. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act, Desertnate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

•Although water is the universal solvent,
    -I’ve never found it to provide, in and of
    itself, the best of lubriciousness for removal
    of contaminates—no matter their size or type.

•Another thought:
    -Often the LSP, and how long it’s been
    since last applied, will determine my
    choice of cleaning/drying steps.

•Or:
    -I’ll just wait ‘til the vehicle is dirty
    enough to give it the full Monty.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I have a black truck, garage kept, driven moderately in So Cal weather.

Here's what I do... And while my method will make many of you here cringe, it works for me and my truck always looks good and is essentially swirl-free. 100% swirl-free on a driven black vehicle is impossible over the long haul, but periodic light polishing's will refresh the finish to near perfection.

My first step (and here's where the cringing begins) is to remove any loose dust/contamination with a California Car Duster. I then follow with Meguiar's D115 "Rinse-Free Express Wash and Wax" diluted 4:1 (4 parts water to 1 part product) and used like you would use a quik detailer. Mist it on - wipe it off.

This process works good enough for me that I can't even remember the last time I used a hose and did a conventional wash. I do conventional washes occasionally, but generally only when I want to hose off the undercarraige, wheel wells, jambs and the like.

In my opinion, cleaning the loose dust from the vehicle with the California Car Duster before touching the finish in any other way is the safest way to minimize swirling, short of a full, gentle, conventional washing.

I also have two black Harley's that I maintain the same way.

Post Thanks / Like

Waterless wash or just water

I have a black 16 mustang..... I feel your pain. Rinsing and blow drying never cut it. Not a fan of Waterless washes unless it’s Frothe.

I would recommend RINSELESS wash. Basically it’s a bucket full of waterless wash. Dip about 5-10 MF towels into bucket of solution and wipe car down. It’s quick an simple and haven’t had much marring issues.

I use a pump sprayer and pre spray car before doing.

Wolfgang Uber or Uber Sio2 rinseless washes would be a good choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Used a Waterless wash for the first time last week. I decided to use that to clay instead of the rinseless solution I normally use, When came time to dry the panel, a lot of residue was left behind. I had to re-wash with a rinseless to get rid of it... No a big fan so far. Next time il will rinse with rinseless before drying to see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't, I will stop using it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast