autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 303 Graphene

Mike Phillips

Re: 303 Graphene

***Subscribed***

Interesting to read all the comments so far.

Please share links to all the substantial reviews in this thread, especially from the "influencers".

I know for myself, I'd like to see what everyone else is saying.

2. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
    I'm wondering how reduced surface temp helps with water spotting. Water droplets containing minerals or other atmospheric debris are still going to leave spots whether they evaporate slower with reduced surface temp or faster with higher surface temps. The amount of debris deposited on the paint doesn't lessen or increase with surface temp. The droplet contains X amount of contamination and that's what gets deposited.

I didn't know that was a Graphine selling point. It's so far fetched it looks like a typo to me.
    I don't pretend to understand the science; here's a bit from one of the minds behind a Graphene coating released last year:

"A little bit from Alfred Yow, the mind behind the Art d’ Shine/SPS coatings. Kinda clarifies the role of the Reduced Graphene Oxide component in the coatings. From a Facebook post regarding graphene coatings. Seems like a bit of a ‘helper’ to the PDMS portion of the formulation:"

" To add on some answers to the article on Graphene,
    The polymer used in Artdeshine’s product, PDMS has very low thermal conductivity, absorbing less heat when exposed. And if heat has been absorbed, the better dissipation and thermal conductivity ability of reduced Graphene Oxide (rGO) will help to negate. What we do not want is all that heat absorbed to be trapped. To say it simply, this is a case of using rGO to reduce the insulation (keeping heat) properties of PDMS.

Artdeshine has never touted using flames in any of our tests or marketing materials. This serves no purpose to demonstrate any capability of our coatings. We are not making fire-proof/retardant materials. And again, we are not touting thermal insulation as a beneficial property, we are trying to negate insulation.

Water repellent capabilities do not come from the use of rGO and can be seen in our marketing materials and information. A very high polymer (PDMS) content is used to achieve the better water-repellent effects. The polymer has been functionalized to provide much better water repellent capabilities."

4. Thanks JustJesus, dennis b thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, PaulMys, tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh, 1001 years? How many new products have have been introduced since early 2019, Can you even count them all? Just Meguiares alone has introduced at least five and that's just one company. Wolgang grew by three or four. DP came out of nowhere with at least four or five Si02 coatings. If I tried everything new that came out in the last two years I'd be two thousand dollars poorer and for the most part disappointed with the results. IMO in just two years, twenty years worth of products have been released. All these new product are nothing more that a money grab.

It's not the typo it's the B.S.hype. Guaranteed 303 doesn't last a month even under idea conditions.

Look at Chicago Auto Pro's video. 3 of the 4 failed on the first wash and the 303 wasn't far behind. That's real world results with all these new products.

At least I haven't fallen for the BS since early 2019.

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating vs Ceramic Coatings - YouTube
    That was a really good video, as was their hour-long one with the chemist/founder of Dr. Beasley's.

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I saw it as a nice way to add a sacrificial layer over an existing coating. Would something like this compete with Elixir? I know this 303 product is a coating and not a quick detailer, but....

6. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vaca22 View Post
    That was a really good video, as was their hour-long one with the chemist/founder of Dr. Beasley's.

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I saw it as a nice way to add a sacrificial layer over an existing coating. Would something like this compete with Elixir? I know this 303 product is a coating and not a quick detailer, but....
    Well one of the components in Elixir is Reload. In the video Reload failed on the first wash. I've never used Elixir but I imagine it would offer protection if you apply weekly, every time you wash. 303 is probably a little better durability wise than Elixir. 303 made it through the first wash. It took an application of APC to kill it.

The big problem will Elixir is that it's expensive. Your wallet will take a hit if you use it weekly.

Here's my recipe for a sacrificial coat that I apply weekly as a drying aid. I mix a quart at a time in a Meguiars spray bottle. It has good lubricity, doesn't streak and leaves good protection (nice tight perky beads) even when driving multiple times through the rain. Costs about $2.50 a quart to make.

30 oz. distilled water
    1.5 oz. Ultima Acrylic waterless wash
    2 oz. Ultima Acrylic spray wax
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

8. Likes tmdals0213 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt there is enough graphene added to reduce surface temps by more than a couple degrees. That sounds like hype.

10. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huh, 1001 years? How many new products have have been introduced since early 2019, Can you even count them all? Just Meguiares alone has introduced at least five and that's just one company. Wolgang grew by three or four. DP came out of nowhere with at least four or five Si02 coatings. If I tried everything new that came out in the last two years I'd be two thousand dollars poorer and for the most part disappointed with the results. IMO in just two years, twenty years worth of products have been released. All these new product are nothing more that a money grab.

It's not the typo it's the B.S.hype. Guaranteed 303 doesn't last a month even under idea conditions.

Look at Chicago Auto Pro's video. 3 of the 4 failed on the first wash and the 303 wasn't far behind. That's real world results with all these new products.

At least I haven't fallen for the BS since early 2019.

303 Graphene Nano Spray Coating vs Ceramic Coatings - YouTube

Just playing with you. You said (post 6) about being on the CMX bandwagon since early 1019.

Making fun of your typo while you were making fun of their typo.

Jim

12. Likes PaulMys, dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Just playing with you. You said (post 6) about being on the CMX bandwagon since early 1019. Making fun of your typo while you were making fun of their typo.

That's the way I read it, Jim.

Got a vision of Monty Python's "Holy Grail" cast with detail products.

CMX is actually 910 in Roman numerals, so not so far off. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Just playing with you. You said (post 6) about being on the CMX bandwagon since early 1019.

Making fun of your typo while you were making fun of their typo.

My bad for getting defensive. AG can be a tough crowd sometimes.
    Mythos Black C7.5 S6 (sold) / 2022 Camry SE (Ice Edge)

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My bad for getting defensive. AG can be a tough crowd sometimes.

All good.

Not a tough crowd here. I’d label most here as “passional detailers”

Opinionated... Yes!

It was all in fun my friend. If you read thru my few thousand post, I like to have some fun here while trying to as honest and helpful as possible. We’re all a giant team here.

But I got my eye on you!!! Lol. Jk
    Jim

17. Likes PaulMys, DMiglio, dennis b liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah years ago serta had a mattress called Directions that used graphene because of it’s super heat conducting properties. I believe 303 meant to say it reduces surface temps.

If worked wouldn’t know but Serta don’t use graphene no more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast