autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Musings after attending a car show

It's kind of funny to see this post. I grew up in Metro Detroit, and saw the same thing...major car guys who were content to just wash the car and when they went all out they might throw on some tire shine. I love cars and have been lightly modding them for as long as I've had them, it was my love of cars that sent me down the detailing path. When you have a black car that started off shiny and gradually became swirled, how can you not notice that? I sure did and started learning how to take care of the car's paint too.

Having said that, sometimes detailer enthusiast me, fights with car enthusiast me. Track the car versus "heck no, all that rubber and dirt on the paint?"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post

Most car guys, are NOT detailing guys. They just think they are.

100% aggree.

Here's a question for you all....

The guys you see on TV on all the "Car Guy Shows".

Do you think they're detailing guys?

Do you think they know the difference between a Swirl and a Squirrel?

I'd LOVE to here your thoughts - so reply with what you think.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

I'm always amazed at how poor the paint is on most of the cars....even the Corvettes.

I have taught a ton of classes for Corvette clubs in my life. Also worked at and been to a lot of car shows in my life.

And I'll just say I agree with you and leave it at that.

4. Likes Ed Abbondanzio, Craig Encinitas, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have to get the word out about Autogeek to these car guys so that they can preserve their vehicles the way they ought to be.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

6. Likes Big Dave liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

We have to get the word out about Autogeek to these car guys so that they can preserve their vehicles the way they ought to be.

We tried with 2 TV shows.

Here's what I've come to do - I divide Car Guys into 2 groups.

1: Bolt-on Guys

2: Finish Guys

Bolt-on guys simply bolt cars together. They will look right at a swirled-out car and say to themselves,

That looks nice!

They just don't see it. They don't get it.

Finish Guys will bolt or "build" a car and then make sure it's finished out right. When they look at a car, they not only look at the fitment of the body panels and everything else - they look to see if the paint finish quality matches the build-quality of the car.

I'd say Finish Guys are far and few between.

8. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say Finish Guys are far and few between.

What a pity.

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking out loud here... what if you could show these people who are not interested or don't know about detailing?
    Not saying this is 100% thought out and input and brain storming is encouraged.
    Some of the bigger shows have vendors, why not get a vendor space, along with your favorite AIO products, a selection of pads and towels and offer to do a small 2x2 area to show them how you can make their paint better?

Find a good spot on the car that will represent before and after such as the hood, trunk or spoiler?
    Mark out an area with a good examples of swirls, scratches or whatever, do that area then let them see the difference for themselves.
    Seeing is believing, and some may not even have noticed the swirls or scratches because it was never pointed out to them.
    A good example of this is my wife, she did not see those things until I started pointing them out. Now she sees them and points them out.

I know some car guys are not going to let anyone touch their car but themselves, but with a few good demos, the news will get around fast.
    Once you do that one area it's going to stick out like a sore thumb and they are not going to want that there so they will come back asking for more.

I know there are more details to work out on how to approach this,things like worrying about damaging someones paint while doing this but i think if you use the Mike approach of do no harm and start out with least aggressiveness you would be pretty safe. I think any improvement you can show someone they will be convinced.

Spend a little money for a vendor space, use a good product, don't charge for the demo, you would be out some time, product, labor but if done right it would end up making you money.

Some of you will read this and say "boomerman" you are a silly newbie, this will never work, and that may be true but maybe as a collective we all give input and figure out why it may not have worked the first time and make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

It might be an uphill battle. Autogeek and Meguiar’s do rent tents at shows and events to demonstrate defect correction yet the overwhelming majority of car guys still don’t see swirls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    It might be an uphill battle. Autogeek and Meguiar’s do rent tents at shows and events to demonstrate defect correction yet the overwhelming majority of car guys still don’t see swirls.
    I am talking about the smaller ones not the big mega ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread !

Im also floored at people that can't see the dull, scratched, swirled surface of there vehicle.

I do find that a short conversation and a few pictures usually at least makes them aware.

Kind of like teaching someone how to do a magic eye so they can see the image.
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast