autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Applying LSP with DA

I also apply all sealant and LSP using a gray LC pad on speed 4 with my PC. Only way to go in my opinion

Post Thanks / Like

Odd, i apply collinite and powerlock and others all the time with a pc on speed 3, 5.5" pad. Plenty of rotation, which helps keep the pad gliding, like mike said. Applies super thin...

Post Thanks / Like

I used the same set up a couple nights ago. 5.5" Blue CCS pad / Surf City Nano Seal. I used tried speed 3, but felt exactly what Mike was describing - in that I wanted the pad to spin. Nano Seal is a thicker consistency, kind of like GC liquid, thus I needed to bump up to speed 4 to get the rotation. To add to that, this particular Blue CCS is a couple millimeters thicker than all my other CCS pads. I had also used this pad on a speed setting of 5 with ColorX, further illustrating Mr. Phillips' point.

Post Thanks / Like
    For all those talking about extension cord length and gauge, check the PC manual. It has a chart that tells which gauge is required for which lengths.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr View Post
    Odd, i apply collinite and powerlock and others all the time with a pc on speed 3, 5.5" pad. Plenty of rotation, which helps keep the pad gliding, like mike said. Applies super thin...
    I believe I've experienced the same with my HF DA. I've applied 845 with my DA on speed 2~3 and it works great. Spreads everything nice and even. The rotation is slow, but it does happen.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Pad rotation is not important all as far as applying and spreading out any finishing wax or finishing sealant, that is any non-cleaning LSP to a polished surface.

It has no effect at all as to the application of the product.

Having the pad rotate a little helps you to move the pad over the surface. With the Porter Cable, you need the speed setting to be the 4.0 to the 4.5 to get the pad to rotate a little while move the polisher over the surface. With the G110v2 I'd have to check but probably the same range. With the Griot's Garage probably around the 2 setting.

Here's the deal... using the Porter Cable as the example. If you have the speed setting below the 4.0 speed setting, say the 1, 2 or 3, when you try to move the polisher over the finish it will feel like the polisher is lagging or dragging behind. That's because the pad has too much grip to the paint.

By speeding up the polisher just enough so that the pad is rotating a little, you'll find the pad and thus the polisher in your hand, will more easily glide over the paint and this is what you want when trying to quickly spread out a thin, uniform layer or wax or sealant.

So pad rotation isn't important for the actual application of a non-cleaning LSP but it is helpful to make the pad glide over the paint easier.

Make sense?

I asked this same question back around 2004 or so to Mike Pennington at Meguiar's and it was he that shared the above with me as his experience when machine applying Gold Class Wax. Due credit where credit is due.

I tried the 4.0 speed setting like Mike Pennington said he used and I found he was correct so I 've been sharing that little tid bit on speed recommendations ever since.

As far a cleaning wax, that is a Cleaner/Wax or a Cleaner/Sealant, or a product that,

1. Cleans
    2. Polishes
    3. Protects

Because you're relying on the chemical cleaners and/or the chemical cleaners plus abrasives to do the cleaning and abrading aspect of the one-step process, NOW pad rotation is necessary.

In fact, without pad rotation on a dual action polisher like the PC "type", when using a one-step cleaner/wax or AIO as some like to call them, you won't get any work done.

We go over both styles of machine waxing in my detailing boot camp classes. That is we always apply our waxes by machine and we do both type, machine waxing with a non-cleaning wax and with a cleaner/wax as I cover both show car detailing and production detailing.

Show Car Detailing = Machine applying a non-cleaning wax.

Production Detailing = Machine applying a cleaner/wax

Shared here,

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1687158

7. Thanks Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN thanked for this post
    Likes Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123