autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: Remove swirls by hand

Quote Originally Posted by SixZee View Post

I searched the board and most threads assume that you would be using a DA polisher. I can't (no electricity), so what products I can use to do this job?

Simple.

Get a quality AIO normally called a cleaner/wax. Get a few MICROFIBER applicator pads.

Work SMALL sections at a time, like the size of a 16" x 16" microfiber towel.

Use the product HEAVY or WET - this means use a LOT of product, like a QUARTER size drop or even a 50 cent coin size drop of product.

Spread out using an overlapping circular motion.

After you spread the product out - work it over the section in a back-n-forth motion usually in the direct of the length of the panel or the direction the wind would travel over the car if you were driving.

Allow the product to dry then wipe-off.

Repeat to a new section and OVERLAP into the previous section.

The BEST way to do this is to only tackle one or two panels at a time as your arm and hand are going to get tired and then you'll stop doing a good job of rubbing the product over the surface.

By using a one-step product you'll only have to go around the car ONE time. If you do this once or twice a year, each time you do it - and do a GREAT job - the paint will look better and better.

IF you want to do a BETTER job and don't mind going around the car twice - start with a dedicated compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and follow with either a cleaner/wax, (now you're using it like a polish and wax), or follow with a dedicated non-cleaning finishing wax or sealant. More work - better results - but more tired arms.

And there you go.....

2. Likes mdbenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate all the comments.

Apologies for not providing all info in advance. The car that I am trying to work on is 2006 Sentra. We have another 2015 Forester which is in far better shape. If I have to work on Forester, hopefully I will have learned from my mistakes on older Sentra experiments.

Replacing bumper will cost more than what the car is worth. If I can improve something that is failing without too much of trouble, I will like it, hence thought of fixing the oxidization.

I usually work on small areas because I can't stand sun as much due to the meds I take regularly. So the area I can work on is limited by the shadow available to work on the car. It took me almost 2 weeks to prep and apply Klasse twins to this car last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    By using a one-step product you'll only have to go around the car ONE time. If you do this once or twice a year, each time you do it - and do a GREAT job - the paint will look better and better.
    Thanks for the comment.
    @Dr Oldz suggested either 3D HD Speed or Blackfire One Step. Do you have any other suggestion?

IF you want to do a BETTER job and don't mind going around the car twice - start with a dedicated compound like Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and follow with either a cleaner/wax, (now you're using it like a polish and wax), or follow with a dedicated non-cleaning finishing wax or sealant. More work - better results - but more tired arms.
    Do you have any specific suggestions on a cleaner/wax and sealant? I have Klasse twins, will they both fit here?

Mike Phillips

Do you have any specific suggestions on a cleaner/wax and sealant? I have Klasse twins, will they both fit here?

The the Klass AIO is NON-abrasive. It will only clean the surface, not remove any defects.

Get either the 3D Speed, or the BL One Step.

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in the maroon bottle could be used too.

Post Thanks / Like

The the Klass AIO is NON-abrasive. It will only clean the surface, not remove any defects.

Get either the 3D Speed, or the BL One Step.

Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax in the maroon bottle could be used too.

Thank you, Mike.

Before I buy the material, just wanted to show what I am trying to fix. (Apologies for the delay in getting the pictures)

And in what sequence should I use these products?

Cleaner wax, then BF One step / 3D Speed and then Klasse AIO/Twins?

Thanks a lot, in advance.

Mike Phillips

And in what sequence should I use these products?

Cleaner wax, then BF One step / 3D Speed and then Klasse AIO/Twins?

Thanks a lot, in advance.
    The BLACKFIRE One Step and the 3D Speed are the same type of product, so pick one. Both work great. In most cases, both must be ordred online.

The only one-step cleaner/wax that I know of at a retail store that can be used "effectively" by hand would be maybe ColorX by Meguiar's but I don't know if they even make this. My recent experience is the BF One Step and the 3D Speed are currently still the top performing one-steps on the market.

If working by hand - you need EVERYTHING working for you. So pick one and go with it.

As for the Klasse products? If you use either the BF One Step or the 3D Speed you won't need the Klasse AIO. These three products are the same type of product it's just the BF One Step and the 3D Speed will actually remove swirls whereas the Klasse AIO will not. It would be redundant to use Klasse AIO after either of the other two products.

After using either of the two one-steps, then you could apply the Klasse Sealant Glaze. I would either skip this step and just reapply whichever cleaner/wax you choose to the horizontal surfaces on a regular basis, like 2-3 times a year. (each time you do this by hand you will remove the swirls and improve the paint), or get the BLACKFIRE BlackIce Sealant to top the BF One Step or the 3D Poxy to top the 3D Speed.

7. Likes mdbenge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The BLACKFIRE One Step and the 3D Speed are the same type of product, so pick one. Both work great. In most cases, both must be ordred online.

The only one-step cleaner/wax that I know of at a retail store that can be used "effectively" by hand would be maybe ColorX by Meguiar's but I don't know if they even make this. My recent experience is the BF One Step and the 3D Speed are currently still the top performing one-steps on the market.

If working by hand - you need EVERYTHING working for you. So pick one and go with it.

As for the Klasse products? If you use either the BF One Step or the 3D Speed you won't need the Klasse AIO. These three products are the same type of product it's just the BF One Step and the 3D Speed will actually remove swirls whereas the Klasse AIO will not. It would be redundant to use Klasse AIO after either of the other two products.

After using either of the two one-steps, then you could apply the Klasse Sealant Glaze. I would either skip this step and just reapply whichever cleaner/wax you choose to the horizontal surfaces on a regular basis, like 2-3 times a year. (each time you do this by hand you will remove the swirls and improve the paint), or get the BLACKFIRE BlackIce Sealant to top the BF One Step or the 3D Poxy to top the 3D Speed.

Thank you, Mike.

I will give a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Can I suggest a different approach?

You're obviously passionate about the appearance of your car, and are learning how to take care of it, and that is admirable. But your resources are limited - You don't have the location to do the job as well as you'd like, and you don't have the tools. For a fraction of the cost of getting tools that would allow you to do the job well, you might seek out a professional who can satisfy your desire to make your car top notch.

I applaud your desire to do it yourself. But reality might not allow you to do so, at least to the level you want. Seeking out someone who can do it for you might be an option.

In any case, best of luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

@mk9750,

Thank you. The idea behind detailing is not only to keep your car in the best possible condition but for me, it is something to take my mind off regular stuff in life. That is the only reason why I am trying to overcome so many procedural hurdles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12