autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceramic coatings application vs ambient temperature....

Quote Originally Posted by mrmarkmac View Post
    Still solid coating here. Washes and cleans up like it did day 1.
    nice! have you tried any gloss type enhancers? like elixir? what about reload? I'm not looking to increase longevity frankly i would be happy with 12-14mth. tac shinnemax caught my eye due to apex detailing. PA stuff is too expensive!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had a couple of funky (less than expected performance) from all sorts of ceramic topper products applied in March. Unexpectedly poor beading and sheeting from the get-go for my ceramic wax test and partially my Wolfgang ceramics test (at least the Ceramic Spray Coating section). I’ve been trying to figure out what it could possibly be, including myself. But most the products were ones I’ve used before with better results.

Anyways, I was leaning towards temperature being the most likely culprit... these were all applied in mid-50s in my garage with electric heaters keeping the temperature up, but at night time I’m sure the garage temp got into the low 40s during the 24 hour curing process.

Anyways, based on this thread, I can reasonably assume it’s less likely the low temperatures caused poor results in some of my ceramic applications.

Thanks for updating this thread!

3. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    nice! have you tried any gloss type enhancers? like elixir? what about reload? I'm not looking to increase longevity frankly i would be happy with 12-14mth. tac shinnemax caught my eye due to apex detailing. PA stuff is too expensive!
    I think I applied Elixer once but otherwise very little maintenance. Based in performance so far I should be good for at least a year. Other vehicles with same coatings are now well past a year and look great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    My experience with Elixr is pretty favorable, if applied under the right conditions. My experience is it is very temperature sensitive. If applied in temps at/around 50F it doesn't really dry and leaves oily smears which are very hard to remove. Around 60F it becomes easier to remove, but still takes a second pass to buff out properly. I'm still waiting for a day when temps are above 70F to try it out to see if the experience continues to improve. Despite application challenges it does look really good and leaves a nice gloss. My main reason for using it is as a QD spray to remove water spots following a wash, but a little gloss boost is a nice bonus.

All that said, on a car with a coating like CQuartz, which is on all of my cars, Ech2O works just as well as a post-wash wipe down. I find it isn't as temperature sensitive, but isn't *quite* as glossy.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by scv2005 View Post

Better off waiting till spring?
    Yes.

Considering it's not that far away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123