autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best APC comparison

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Your best option would be either OPC and a dedicated Interior Cleaner (I personally like Griot's Interior Cleaner and Ultima Interior Shampoo)

OR

Just an APC like D101 or Mckee's APC+

If you are trying to just get one product I'd go with just an APC
    Gotcha

Btw, is OPC considered an APC? Or does it belong to a different category?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm still learning (thanks for your kind patience).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by getgoing View Post
    Gotcha

Btw, is OPC considered an APC? Or does it belong to a different category?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm still learning (thanks for your kind patience).
    That’s a good question. I believe it was created as an All purpose cleaner but when used undiluted or even 3:1 dilution it has unbelievable degreasing abilities unlike other APC’s which tend to suds up more but won’t necessarily do a better job degreasing. OPC can break down bug guts, remove baked on brake dust and clean tires as good as any dedicated bug, wheel, or tire cleaner. It’s truly an all purpose cleaner except when it comes to fabric and carpet. Like suggested in the other thread you started, you could get OPC and pick up a bottle of Folex from Home Depot and call it good.

3. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Likes getgoing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the main advantages you noticed please?

Mainly...better cleaning power....more versatile

5. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a good question. I believe it was created as an All purpose cleaner but when used undiluted or even 3:1 dilution it has unbelievable degreasing abilities unlike other APC’s which tend to suds up more but won’t necessarily do a better job degreasing. OPC can break down bug guts, remove baked on brake dust and clean tires as good as any dedicated bug, wheel, or tire cleaner. It’s truly an all purpose cleaner except when it comes to fabric and carpet. Like suggested in the other thread you started, you could get OPC and pick up a bottle of Folex from Home Depot and call it good.
    Thank you, you seem to have good knowledge of these things, I appreciate that!

Last question
    This is mostly out of curiosity: do we know why OPC isn't good for carpets/fabrics?
    I mean does it not contain a chemical that's needed for carpets/fabrics, or does it have too much power that it would harm the carpet/fabric material?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, you seem to have good knowledge of these things, I appreciate that!

Last question
    This is mostly out of curiosity: do we know why OPC isn't good for carpets/fabrics?
    I mean does it not contain a chemical that's needed for carpets/fabrics, or does it have too much power that it would harm the carpet/fabric material?
    OPC does work on carpets/fabric (I'll even use it to pre-treat spots of oil/grease/coffee stains) but the cleaner definitely needs to be rinsed. A dedicated carpet cleaner or even many all purpose cleaners like D101 which is targeted for interiors can be used on carpets and fabric without rinsing where OPC could potentially lead to resoiling of carpet and fabric if not rinsed.

8. Thanks getgoing thanked for this post
    Likes getgoing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What dilution do you use to clean bugs off paint? From the strength of this stuff how you make it sound, my fear is marring.

Post Thanks / Like

Like suggested in the other thread you started, you could get OPC and pick up a bottle of Folex from Home Depot and call it good.
    How about D101 and Folex. I'm figuring pretreating the stain with D101 then attacking it with Folex if the D101 doesn't do the trick. I am working on a 2004 Sienna with coffee and coke stains and have used Chemical Guys Nonsense diluted 20:1, then 10:1, then full strength (using the least abrasive paint correction mentality here). The carpet does look much better but still not where I want to be. Was thinking about using the D101 and getting some of Meguires D106 but I'll try the Folex since it is right around the corner from me and no need to wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    How about D101 and Folex. I'm figuring pretreating the stain with D101 then attacking it with Folex if the D101 doesn't do the trick. I am working on a 2004 Sienna with coffee and coke stains and have used Chemical Guys Nonsense diluted 20:1, then 10:1, then full strength (using the least abrasive paint correction mentality here). The carpet does look much better but still not where I want to be. Was thinking about using the D101 and getting some of Meguires D106 but I'll try the Folex since it is right around the corner from me and no need to wait.
    It’s actually the other way around.. Pre treat with Folex, and use the D101 as the more broad approach cleaner. You’ll quickly get a feel for how they’re both geared to work that way.

-Further explanation: The Folex can sort of, actually it can do what the D101 can do if you felt like using it to clean the entire carpet of a vehicle, however I would strongly advise against using the Folex in the same method as you would use D101, meaning you don’t spray and agitate/scrub Folex, you instead want to spray, then immediately lightly dab the product into the fabric with your fingers,[I recommend wearing HD nitrile gloves] then immediately blot/dab/mop/wipe clean with an absorbent towel. [IMO cotton terry towels work best]

Basically you want to follow the directions with the Folex, and that means no scrubbing, especially with a brush. It sounds crazy, but you’ll have subpar results if you scrub.

-D101 on the other hand can’t really do, or do effectively or in a reasonable manner what the Folex can and sometimes it’s not even close… For example there’s times where you’d have to use D101 at full strength for it to even begin to remove stains and even then there’s no way D101 would be able to do it without scrubbing the way Folex does. Plus it’s a hazard to use D101 undiluted especially on interiors, let alone trying to breathe through the fumes it would create. Not advisable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    It’s actually the other way around.. Pre treat with Folex, and use the D101 as the more broad approach cleaner. You’ll quickly get a feel for how they’re both geared to work that way.

-Further explanation: The Folex can sort of, actually it can do what the D101 can do if you felt like using it to clean the entire carpet of a vehicle, however I would strongly advise against using the Folex in the same method as you would use D101, meaning you don’t spray and agitate/scrub Folex, you instead want to spray, then immediately lightly dab the product into the fabric with your fingers,[I recommend wearing HD nitrile gloves] then immediately blot/dab/mop/wipe clean with an absorbent towel. [IMO cotton terry towels work best]

Basically you want to follow the directions with the Folex, and that means no scrubbing, especially with a brush. It sounds crazy, but you’ll have subpar results if you scrub.

-D101 on the other hand can’t really do, or do effectively or in a reasonable manner what the Folex can and sometimes it’s not even close… For example there’s times where you’d have to use D101 at full strength for it to even begin to remove stains and even then there’s no way D101 would be able to do it without scrubbing the way Folex does. Plus it’s a hazard to use D101 undiluted especially on interiors, let alone trying to breathe through the fumes it would create. Not advisable.
    Thank you for the information. This is what I’m working with. I created the problem with the spreading on the ends by using the CG Nonsense and a brush and wet vac.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Best APC comparison

Quote Originally Posted by robwoodgto View Post
    Thank you for the information. This is what I’m working with. I created the problem with the spreading on the ends by using the CG Nonsense and a brush and wet vac.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    You need to mop up with clean towels, using a wet vac just isn’t going to get the job done. You could try as long as possible with the wet vac and you’d still easily pull away lots of grime using a simple cotton terry towel afterwards. Best bet is spare the mess you create in the vac and go straight to the towels.

Even rinsing with water would be better than using the wet vac since you have the individual pieces of carpet out of the vehicle. Just make sure you leave them out to fully dry if you do.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast