autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum activity

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forum activity

Yep, forum guy here as well. I don’t have a Facebook account, never have and don’t plan on it either.

Post Thanks / Like

From a newb perspective, I'm fairly new to "properly"(...aka not using dawn soap with a dish towel and drying with a bath towel) detailing my cars and I credit this forum and all of the AGO members as well as Mike P. If it wasn't for the forum and how helpful EVERYONE is, there is no way that I could've learned the proper technique and confidence to "touch" my car, I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell that I would've learned what I've learned in the time that I've been part of this forum on facebook.

Mike and the rest of the members help me so much when I, not anyone else, marred the crap out of my entire black acura. It's also when I learned not everything you watch then buy from a youtube video "guy" pushing his new AIO that there are outstanding abrasives and crappy abrasive. I learned the hard way but when I was finished I was very proud of my work...I think a lot of other members on AGO have been in similar situations and they/we want to help others, that's what AGO is about...helping others. Facebook...not so much.

I left facebook probably 7-8 years ago because it's a free for all, people hiding behind their keyboards, trashing everything you say or think....I value my time more than that. This forum, and I like to refer to it as a "Community" since everyone is try to help everyone. You'll get the occasional spat which is fine and sometime entertaining especially when they get on the topic of beadmaker(!!!)

Today's interesting topic that seems so inconsequential to the average person, is how to get dog hair (embedded hair removal) off the seats. As of 3:50 CDT, they have been 150 views and 11 replies...and all of them helping out, giving different ideas and eventually finding a solution! I haven't been on facebook in looong time but I would guess someone would pop-off with some smart-ass response and then turn into a free for all, all the while AaronE is still trying to find a solution to the hair!

Sorry to rant but I really enjoy being part of this community!

Jay

3. Likes PaulMys, acuRAS82, mc2hill, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

life happens and people move on with family and work. some may not have the interest anymore (into other hobbies/things) as well. it happens. btw, i joined facebook many years ago and decided to delete my account within a few days of doing so. i haven't looked back, not really my cup of tea...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    life happens and people move on with family and work. some may not have the interest anymore (into other hobbies/things) as well. it happens. btw, i joined facebook many years ago and decided to delete my account within a few days of doing so. i haven't looked back, not really my cup of tea...
    If you feel the need to be in contact with everyone you have ever met in your life, plus about 10,000 others sharing pics of the most mundane aspects of life and then criticizing you on everything, then FB is for you!!
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    Queue Mike Phillips and his “Can’t get this info on FaceBook”...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the difference,

You can't share that kind of detailed information in a Facebook post.

You can add your text, then add some pictures but the text is in one place and the pictures are just in a clump of pictures.

Like the saying goes,

It is what it is....

Score! **Checks off box on Autogeekonline Bingo Card** (Hey, I was pretty dang close. )

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

If you feel the need to be in contact with everyone you have ever met in your life, plus about 10,000 others sharing pics of the most mundane aspects of life and then criticizing you on everything, then FB is for you!!

Or....

If you like to see what your friends ate for dinner last night....

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Here's another example of what you cannot do on a Facebook Group. That is share tons of how-to info in a linear format.

Text
    Pictures

Text
    Pictures

Before & After - 1961 Plymouth Fury Barn Find

Using the Tornador Blowout Gun to blow-out iron remover and waterless wash

The entire write-up is full of how-to information, (education) and it has impact because you can place text before or after a pictures.

On a Facebook Group, you just can't do this. So to me, it's a substandard media for substantial how-to information. Now if you just want a one-liner, then it works.

11. Likes Leon Sidursky liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll continue to participate exclusively on the forums for this type of information. I do have Facebook, but use is very limited and focused. Nothing like what I come here and other forums to accomplish.

For me forums provide an ability to pass information in a format which can't be matched on other social media platforms which were designed stictly for causual conversations. I also think when people come to a forum they are naturally more thoughtful and convey information more carefully than social media platforms where everything flows without a second thought or any filtering. I also think the more formal interface makes posting a more dilberate effort compared to Facebook where someone may causually lob a nonsensical comment about a detailing topic in between surfing through silly meme's and passing though pictures of their parent's latest vacation.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes Jayfro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I go in waves on here... sometimes I'm jut really busy in life and don't have time to look at forums.

But I am 100% forums... never had a FB account, never will.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@DedicatedPerfection View Post
    Seeing this thread is getting a bit more
    activity than I thought it would gather.

Good to see.
    Unless otherwise instructed:
    I’m going to keep on posting to this forum—
    take it to the bank—if for no other reason than
    trying to keep abreast of the ‘accuracy rebuilding’
    events that plagues my AGO forum account on a
    regular basis.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast