autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

I've used plenty of regular clay in the paste ranging from fine to aggressive. I've also regularly used Nano's ranging from fine to medium the past couple years.

I can say for sure that the clay bars are more effective on heavily contaminated cars. Even the medium nanos can't get rid of everything. For anything up to moderately contaminated cars, I go for the nano because I can just blitz the car in a fraction of the time it takes to use a clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

OP here. One more question:

Does synthetic clay also strip off sealant and wax? I know clays and ISP do not completely strip off wax and sealant, but I still would like to know whether synergetic Clay is effective at removing wax somehow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrq0604 View Post
    OP here. One more question:

Does synthetic clay also strip off sealant and wax? I know clays and ISP do not completely strip off wax and sealant, but I still would like to know whether synergetic Clay is effective at removing wax somehow
    I’d say it does. I’d also say claybar removes sealants & waxes. Enough to where I consider them no longer there.

4. Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am planning to use synthetic clay bar for the first time.

I was wondering whether there is a significant difference between Nanoskin and Mothers in terms of how well it picks up contaminants. I can just buy Speed Clay at local store while I have to order Nanoskin...

Furthermore, are there things I should be aware of as a first-time synthetic clay bar user? (Scratches, etc?). Are there any disadvantages compared to actual clay? I've heard of people complain about synthetic clay's reluctance to conform to car's curves and contours. What are some tips for using synthetic clays?

Thank you
    Make sure you remove the protective coating before first use

6. Thanks kandes thanked for this post
    Likes mrq0604 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OP here.

Some more questions about the procedure:

(1) How many times can the synthetic clay be re-used? I've read that it is good for 10 cars, and it just needs to be washed in laundry machine. Is that true?

(2) Does laundry-washing turn the synthetic clay into "brand-new" synthetic clay? I am asking this because cleaning contamination off of synthetic clay is important before re-use (just like we fold clay before moving onto new panel).

(3) My weekend car is barely contaminated. Even if I use clay, I barely see contamination pick-up. The car is driven less than 3000 miles per year, and never driven in snow/rain. Should I break in the synthetic clay on glass panels first, or should I clay another car (rather heavily contaminated) to remove the protective layer?

(4) I found a local detailing shop where I can purchase Nanoskin, but it is "Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack", which includes:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Fine Grade
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Medium Grade

What is the difference between "mitt" and Autoscrub?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by E93to View Post
    OP here.

Some more questions about the procedure:

(1) How many times can the synthetic clay be re-used? I've read that it is good for 10 cars, and it just needs to be washed in laundry machine. Is that true?

(2) Does laundry-washing turn the synthetic clay into "brand-new" synthetic clay? I am asking this because cleaning contamination off of synthetic clay is important before re-use (just like we fold clay before moving onto new panel).

(3) My weekend car is barely contaminated. Even if I use clay, I barely see contamination pick-up. The car is driven less than 3000 miles per year, and never driven in snow/rain. Should I break in the synthetic clay on glass panels first, or should I clay another car (rather heavily contaminated) to remove the protective layer?

(4) I found a local detailing shop where I can purchase Nanoskin, but it is "Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge Combo Pack", which includes:

Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Fine Grade
    Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge – Medium Grade

What is the difference between "mitt" and Autoscrub?

Thanks
    The Nanoskin synthetic clay towel/mitt/sponge can do well past 10 vehicles.. I’ve found that alot of its longevity depends on how you care for it.
    1st of all, never ever wash it in the washing machine, you’ll ruin it.
    Don’t use any sort of unapproved chemical to try and clean it because it’s not solvent resistant.
    Don’t leave it in direct sunlight for extended period of time because it can and will melt.
    Don’t leave it outdoors for too long or it will attract dust & debris that will stick to it, which will effect the way it works i.e. you might notice it will suddenly begin to marr paint.

Proper care is imperative to its longevity and effectiveness without marring paint, as is using plenty of claylube. Do those 3 things and it is completely possible if used correctly to go from Nanoskin directly to lsp even on black paint. I’ve done it many times... I’ve also allowed several claymitts to die a premature death due to being lazy and leaving them out or simply not caring for them the way I should’ve.

Rinse/dunk them clean with water or rinseless wash solution, or if you want the very best way to clean them get yourself some of this Blackfire Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner.

Use as directed then allow the mitt/towel/sponge to air dry, preferably indoors in a clean environment. I like to place my mitt over a spray bottle and “hang” dry. The important thing is to not forget about it and promptly return it to its place where it’s kept dry and protected, but also vented and untouched. Follow that advice and your claymitt will live a long and prosperous marr free life.Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

-And no, don’t break it in by claying your neighbors ugly car... You break it in on your exterior glass. Usually all it takes is a good claying of your windshield. I like to go ahead and clay all the exterior glass on the vehicle I’m working on just to be sure it’s completely broken in. There’s nothing more to it.

9. Likes SWETM, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The Nanoskin synthetic clay towel/mitt/sponge can do well past 10 vehicles.. I’ve found that alot of its longevity depends on how you care for it.
    1st of all, never ever wash it in the washing machine, you’ll ruin it.
    Don’t use any sort of unapproved chemical to try and clean it because it’s not solvent resistant.
    Don’t leave it in direct sunlight for extended period of time because it can and will melt.
    Don’t leave it outdoors for too long or it will attract dust & debris that will stick to it, which will effect the way it works i.e. you might notice it will suddenly begin to marr paint.

Proper care is imperative to its longevity and effectiveness without marring paint, as is using plenty of claylube. Do those 3 things and it is completely possible if used correctly to go from Nanoskin directly to lsp even on black paint. I’ve done it many times... I’ve also allowed several claymitts to die a premature death due to being lazy and leaving them out or simply not caring for them the way I should’ve.

Rinse/dunk them clean with water or rinseless wash solution, or if you want the very best way to clean them get yourself some of this Blackfire Synthetic Clay Mitt Cleaner.

Use as directed then allow the mitt/towel/sponge to air dry, preferably indoors in a clean environment. I like to place my mitt over a spray bottle and “hang” dry. The important thing is to not forget about it and promptly return it to its place where it’s kept dry and protected, but also vented and untouched. Follow that advice and your claymitt will live a long and prosperous marr free life.Nanoskin AutoScrub vs Mothers Speed Clay 2.0

-And no, don’t break it in by claying your neighbors ugly car... You break it in on your exterior glass. Usually all it takes is a good claying of your windshield. I like to go ahead and clay all the exterior glass on the vehicle I’m working on just to be sure it’s completely broken in. There’s nothing more to it.

Thanks for your input.

I would love to store the synthetic clay in my house but I am an OCD germaphobe... I can't just put it in my house unless perfectly cleaned and washed.

So can I wash the synthetic clay with hand soap? Or regular bar of soap?

Or can I just store it in the garage away from sunlight (in a plastic container)? Garage temp can reach 90 degrees in summer. And in winter the outdoor temp is usually around 25, and can drop to 0 (Toronto, Canada)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input.

I would love to store the synthetic clay in my house but I am an OCD germaphobe... I can't just put it in my house unless perfectly cleaned and washed.

So can I wash the synthetic clay with hand soap? Or regular bar of soap?
    I leave mine to dry in the washroom [usually on top of the washer or dryer]
    Remember it’s clean at that point, it’s simply hanging out to dry where no dust can land on it.

No don’t use bar soap... No girly hand soap either. Use your car wash from your bucket. Water from the hose nozzle works fine as well, just don’t go crazy and shoot it on Jet setting. Lol. Use the shower setting and give it a good rinse.

Also keep in mind that the way synthetic clay works is by “shaving” the contaminants off the surface, whereas traditional claybar picks it up and hangs onto the contaminants. That’s why you never have to nead the claymitt, because it’s not exactly accumulating all the contaminants the same way you’re used to with claybar. It still could use an occasional rinsing as you go along, but nowhere near how the claybar needs neading.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I leave mine to dry in the washroom [usually on top of the washer or dryer]
    Remember it’s clean at that point, it’s simply hanging out to dry where no dust can land on it.

No don’t use bar soap... No girly hand soap either. Use your car wash from your bucket. Water from the hose nozzle works fine as well, just don’t go crazy and shoot it on Jet setting. Lol. Use the shower setting and give it a good rinse.

Also keep in mind that the way synthetic clay works is by “shaving” the contaminants off the surface, whereas traditional claybar picks it up and hangs onto the contaminants. That’s why you never have to nead the claymitt, because it’s not exactly accumulating all the contaminants the same way you’re used to with claybar. It still could use an occasional rinsing as you go along, but nowhere near how the claybar needs neading.
    Thank you.

One more question

You and another poster mentioned rinsing the synthetic clay after a couple of panels. Can I use the synthetic clay even when it's wet?

13. Thanks kandes thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

One more question

You and another poster mentioned rinsing the synthetic clay after a couple of panels. Can I use the synthetic clay even when it's wet?
    Using it while it’s wet is the absolute most important thing you better be doing when using the claymitt. Preferably dripping wet while also spraying the panel with a separate spray bottle creating its own soaking wet situation of the panel and then spraying a bit more as you go along... Yea, that’s how you use a claymitt and survive without having any marring. I do it all the time and I’ve been asked by other detailers why I use so much claylube? My reply is because my goal is to not marr the heck out of the paint like you do. [not you] Lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast