autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about Iron Removers

Eldo have you tried the DUB in a different spray bottle?

I used it once as an iron remover on my brothers white Forester XT.
    I didn't like the foamy, blob spray pattern with that much surface area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Wondering what's in your pina colada since finick think it's smells like the rotten eggs from an iron remover LOL.

The only hazardious chemical in DUB wheel cleaner is Sodium Mercaptoacetate in the SDS. So seems to be a great choice to use on the paint too. As I think if it where anything that would be damaging materials on the car. It would be hazardious for us humans. A great find Eldorado2K and a cheap option for an iron remover. As they useally is pricey if they are effective.
    I can guarantee you he’s wrong. Lol. There’s no way this stuff smells like rotten eggs. It smells like strong artificial Pina Colada. I’m not saying it’s the most pleasant scent in the world, because I was wearing a long sleeve t shirt and the chemical ended up in my wash bucket so my sleeves ended up smelling like the overpowering scent of pina colada and after a while it’s about enough to make you sick of it, but there’s no comparison to rotten egg fart scent. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    Eldo have you tried the DUB in a different spray bottle?

I used it once as an iron remover on my brothers white Forester XT.
    I didn't like the foamy, blob spray pattern with that much surface area.
    No I’ve never tried pouring it into another bottle. I think trying to do so might result in a possible mess so I’ve never attempted it.

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    I can guarantee you he’s wrong. Lol. There’s no way this stuff smells like rotten eggs. It smells like strong artificial Pina Colada. I’m not saying it’s the most pleasant scent in the world, because I was wearing a long sleeve t shirt and the chemical ended up in my wash bucket so my sleeves ended up smelling like the overpowering scent of pina colada and after a while it’s about enough to make you sick of it, but there’s no comparison to rotten egg fart scent.
    Hey I just said it smelled rancid, I never specifically said rotten eggs.

I’m willing to admit my nose is weird. I think Wolfgang Uber rinseless smells terrible, and it’s probably the reason I don’t reach for it even though I enjoy using it. ONR smells divine, as does m37 n-914.

You can make fun of my tires, but I won’t stand for you calling my nose a liar!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try meguiars ultimate wheel cleaner on paint? Work like DUBS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Is Sodium thioglycolate 46% used in the Sonax Wheel Cleaner Plus and Ammonium thioglycolate used in Carpro IronX the same chemical?
    If the thioglycolate anion is that compound doing the work, then yes. Since iron is cationic, then it probably is.

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Yvan Lacroix clays the car with the iron remover. He uses Ferrex and a clay towel. I don't know if you can do the same with other brands.

One thing I know is that the iron remover won't replace the claying. There is usually iron particles left after the iron remover is used and it won't do anything for other bonded contaminants.
    I would never do this. I can't imagine that the "clay" is going to hold up as well over time. Thioglycolate is a pretty strong acid (first pKa = 3.8). Although the solution should be relatively neutral in formulation, I'm always hesitant outside of a lab to use varying compounds on subtances I can't get chemical information on (like the clay alternative substance on these towels). Considering how cheap a thioglycolate would be to formulate (wouldn't require an expensive R&D process) I think a company like Nanoskin would have developed a clay lube with it in there and marketed it as safe with their towels and they would have sold a crap ton of it to people like us.

Either way, if you wanna pay for the clay towels though, then I guess it really doesn't matter.

Post Thanks / Like

3D has a wheel cleaner concentrate that looks like it's based on muriatic acid. Won't change colors and may be not for use on paint but the 13:1 dilution is good for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Tested Adam's Wheel Cleaner yesterday.

The product doesn't react much with the iron particles. After 5 minutes it barelly shows any signs of bleeding and removing the spots with the nano skin speed prep sponge was about the same as without using the fallout remover. On the other hand, it works well as a clay lube for the sponge so that's good.

Will have to try it a few more times before I decide if I like it or not but for now, I am not impressed.

12. Thanks Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I reached out to Griot's Garage about Iron & Fallout Remover.Their reply wasn't what I expected.
    "If you are going to use our Ion & Fallout Remover – there is no need to Fine Surface Prep Mitt, they both do the same thing….removing the contaminates off the vehicle".
    Since when the clay (mechanical decontamination) does the same thing as Ion & Fallout Remover (chemical decontamination)? I'm puzzled!

Post Thanks / Like

Iron x takes most of the iron out but I use a fine nano clay towel after as you can still feel some bumps on the paint.
    Could be sap or other contamanation but the better the prep the better the finish after polish.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast