autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test

Seems like expectations were made too high. Good results would probably have to be made in reference to the expectations. I didn’t have high expectations and I think it’s good, but nothing special. I compare it to BF SiO2 Spray or Reload. I like it more than Reload. I like BF more than it (applies better).

Post Thanks / Like

I saw you washed and preped with only N-914 before application of the CMX is that right?

If so a little defence to CMX is that it's depends on a very clean paint. And at least a claying would be needed if it's not done for some time. The flat panel beside seems it could be unprotected for some time too.

These very hydrophobic products has the better water behavior and self cleaning ability the cleaner the paint is. It depends on create a structure when it's cured to get the lotus effect. Some are better than others to build up this layer of structure too. And since mostly count on the carriers to get some extra cleaning that is useally not enough. Like the older waxes that was heavy with solvents and also sometimes added cleaning ability from them. And also the way it building up on the surface is different. Even if you would have a little deeper marring it can be enough to interfear with the water behavior. I think most of the negative reviews you can see from Meguiars HCW is one problem with too many and deep defects on the paint to get it to work as effective as possible. I have a car I maintain that has not been polished yet and has it's share off defects on it. When useing different spray on rinse off products like Wet Coat and Hydro2 lite and Sonax Spray and Seal on it. I don't get the extreme water behavior after first application. But after applyied monthly I saw a big difference in better water behavior on the paint.

And I don't claim that CMX is what it was expected as it's been to many disappointed users on the forums. Will be interesting to hear how Mothers goes forward with this as they promised a whole lot from this product. It sounded like it would be up there with Gyeon CanCoat and IGL Premier. But it has not even been close to that if not there are many users out there that has it working for them. Since it's not been out so long it would not be reported so many problems with the longevity and failing way to soon or degrade maybe is the right word.

Post Thanks / Like

Cmx is just mothers version of reload or cure. If you accept it’s just that I’m sure it’s a fine product. Definitely not a coating or coating light.

For apartment dwellers with no hose accessibility look into the works hydroshot. Not a pressure washer but good for what it is. Can pull water from a 5 gallon bucket. Klasse uses one and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Couple days ago?!Mothers CMX vs Sonax Polymer Net Shield long term durability test
    Yes was applied April 1. Truck had not been washed in almost 10 or more months, is parked outside 24/7 sees rain, snow, sun.

You can see the grime on the windshield trim and under the wiper assembly. I did a quick wipedown outdoors with the N914 to all surfaces and applied it. Apparently its doing well on vertical panels.

Its parked on the street and had a layer of dust the day after I applied CMX due to construction and demolition nearby. I think some of that coupled with the neglected paint (I personally think it hasnt been washed in a year) is causing the bead shapes. It definitely needs a full decon wash, Ironx, clay and polish. It did amazing on the front plastic cowl as you can see and rear bed trim. For only wiping it with N914 and no scrubbing or APC.

5. Likes acuRAS82, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This looks blurry but was not photographing well. Passenger side rear bed trim.

Drivers side trim with CMX

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to add, Mothers has been very receptive and communicative with me. Forrest reached out to me and passed me the information of thier brand director.

I had a great chat with Shane from Mothers, who took his time with me. They were aware of the thread and so are thier chemists. He was very open to my feedback and input, in understanding my process and what I was seeing. I explained to him my concerns, along with the results other people were seeing on the forums, along with peoples results with CMX on YouTube.

I do understand with a bit more clarity, this being a off the shelf consumer product, certain aspects that just need to "work". How much more difficult this makes producing a consumer level product, especially a Si02 product. With that in mind, I'm sure Mothers had to dial in the formula to have an easy to use product, that is fool proof and still gives good results. For example if the sprayer or bottle hardened after one use, can you imagine the frustration Bubba would have? Or if Bubba sprayed and applied to whole car, then went back to remove and was shocked that they couldn't wipe it off? Now he has to polish the whole car. Or Bubba got overspray all over, saw it later, now its hardened and has to polish out these spots. I do read a lot about this with certain coating light products (can coat, tac moonlight and some others).

After some thinking of my own, I personally think perhaps this is more of a "coating light" product. The name we have been calling these easy to apply Si02 products. When I applied to my friends truck, I remembered how easy it went on and how forgiving it is. The level of gloss, slickness and ease (can apply to glass, trim and paint safely). It is also half or one third the price of most coating light products it seems.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, but I appreciate the honesty and openness I got from Mothers. I did let them know I am willing to test any new formulations they have and give my honest feedback. It seems a lot of the harsh chemicals used in the snow heavy areas, seem to impact CMX more.

As AcuraRas82 mentioned, this is more inline with Reload and other Si02 products that are coming out. Most people seem to be ok with shorter durability with these types. If that's the expectations we set, then I dont think PNS is a fair comparison. Since PNS is one of the longer lasting sealants.

9. Thanks acuRAS82, Diner, oneheadlite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff, Hemi. Thanks for the updates and glad to hear Mothers is keeping on top of this, not all companies would be this proactive and caring. It’ll be cool if you get to test any beta upgrade versions!

11. Likes 392hemi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Seems like expectations were made too high. Good results would probably have to be made in reference to the expectations. I didn’t have high expectations and I think it’s good, but nothing special. I compare it to BF SiO2 Spray or Reload. I like it more than Reload. I like BF more than it (applies better).
    My expectations were based on what Mothers marketed and it hasn't lived up to hardly any of it. My son's Jeep was my test mule and it was compounded/polished prepped and then layered with more than a few coats of the product over the course of a couple weeks. Even from the get-go the product while beading water, never performed like a coating. It was at best a regular sealant. The only aspect I might give it over a sealant was less dust attraction but that's pushing it. Needless to say after just a few washed and a few weeks of sitting outside (vehicle is not garaged) I had to re-do it with PNS.

. "Introducing Mothers CMX™ Ceramic Spray Coating, an affordable, user-friendly, professional grade, ultra-durable, super-hydrophobic protection formula. Just spray on and wipe off, with this game-changing SiO2 (Silicon Dioxide) and TiO2 (Titanium Dioxide) blend. This powerhouse combo provides ultra long-term protection from the elements and relentless water beading, without sacrificing true optical clarity, extreme depth and that signature ceramic glass-like liquidy-gloss appearance. Use as a stand-alone product, or as a booster over your existing sealant or ceramic coating. Washing and caring for your vehicle has never been easier. "

I was intrigued by being able to have a product with both SiO2 and TiO2 in it. I don't see ultra long term protection nor relentless water beading. I also wouldn't use it as a "booster" over a traditional coating as the water behavior of it isn't even close.

I hate to sound as if I'm bashing the product, as I'm not. I'm simply stating the reality from someone who has detailed cars with countless products over the years and my own experience with it. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the rest of the product but it won't be part of my use any further unless there's a significant formula change. Even as a topper the only product I've found worthy that performs well short-term is BeadMaker.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes SWETM, 392hemi, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

April 7, 2019

Today is day 50.

Got some light rain earlier while out and passing rains. Got some very very heavy downpours today. Went driving in it for science and you guys.

Current observations CMX is still there and beading, just that it's become irregular on some panels. Before I applied both products paint had 0 beading or sheeting. So you can tell it is still there on all surfaces (glass, trim and paint).

CMX side earlier today before the rain. PNS side looked pretty much identical. I miss my red car.

CMX rear fender earlier in day after on off rain

CMX trunk

PNS trunk

You can see panels have a lot of dirt and grime from the rain and constant dust and construction debris.

Hood, left CMX, right PNS

Front windshield, with CMX after numerous rain and snow storms, wiper use and washer fluid.

Rear windshield with Griots glass sealant

Rear trunk after driving in heavy downpours. Yes that's a fricking hair on the trunk!!! Disgusting streets lol

PNS after heavy downpour drive

PNS hood after heavy downpour

CMX hood after heavy downpour

PNS top hood

CMX top hood

15. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean it isn’t PNS but it’s not doing horrible. I’ve noticed the vertical panels don’t hold well with the crud. Hydro blue is gone after 4 weeks for me. I don’t expect cmx to be a coating but I think the fact it still beads means it’s working. It may not be to our level like a coating but let’s be honest here. For something designed for jo blow at the store doing this in his driveway maybe every 6 months I think they would be happy. I mean really if we didn’t know better could we tell a difference? Could 100% of folks walking up off the street? May not be all we thought itd be but I think it’s doing ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Thanks 392hemi thanked for this post
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast