autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: 10-month ceramic coating update! + Chemical torture test!

I would say that probably 90% of the cars that I put coatings on do not get any toppers by the owners. Most people are not 'Geeks' like mentioned. They have the coating applied and they will wash it. That's it. So understanding the durability of the coating all by itself is very useful information to many people.

2. Likes RZJZA80, OrangeVee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeVee View Post
    Hhahaahh. Yup. Some haters just never stop. I'm actually entertained by this.
    I don't know if hater is fair. Ceramics are not a slam dunk, and there is plenty of room for debate when considering cost and ease of application relative to results when compared to traditional sealants and waxes.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

well the rest of this thread was interesting lol.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't top my coating. The reason for that is I don't think any topper is as good as Syncro by itself. I don't want to cover that awesome water behavior with an inferior product in order to make the coating last longer. What good is it if it lasts longer but I don't get its true benefits? I'd rather have to re-do the coating say around 18 months but having actually enjoyed it than say it lasts 2 or 3 years but then I had results that weren't as good.

I tried Bead Maker on my wife's car which has a coating approaching its end and that was never as good as Syncro. Bead Maker disappointed me. It sure makes the paint glossy and slick but beading is not what it does best. And it doesn't last more than a week or two. I will re-do her car soon with UK 3.0 + Gliss v2 and then use the good old Ech2o + Reload mix as drying aid.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I would say that probably 90% of the cars that I put coatings on do not get any toppers by the owners. Most people are not 'Geeks' like mentioned. They have the coating applied and they will wash it. That's it. So understanding the durability of the coating all by itself is very useful information to many people.
    We can agree to disagree. All the cars I coat are from passionate owners (let's face it, getting a coating job isn't the cheapest service, so you have to like your car) and I personnaly instruct the owners on how to take care of their own rides, which includes applying a topper every 2-3 months and how to do a proper maintenance wash to keep optimal performance. So from my point of view, it's actually very very important to show real world conditions which can include a topper.

But all this fuss around the video, when you think about it, with the two Power Clean steps and the fact I didn't apply a topper for 2 months prior, there was probably no topper on the car left anyways... So the discussion is going sideways for absolutely no reason.

Some are interested of seeing the pure coating performance. I get that. But some are also interested of seeing how a coating performs in the real world, with maybe a topper on top too. I also get that. I respect both camps. There isn't a right or wrong here.

I don't understand the obsession of trying to prove someone wrong in this forum...

7. Thanks Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to add that these discussions are taking place on a known quality ceramic coating like CarPro CQuartz UK 3.0. Even the previous version, CQUK Edition, lasted 2 years with no issues. And with nearly 240,000 subscribers on my channel, and many more watching, we have very big sampling of people being able to report on durability, chemical resistance, ease of application, gloss, water spotting issues, etc. So wether the coating is bare or topped with a silica spray sealant or anything else, the bottom line is still the same. Durability is there.

If I had done a video where it was just the coating that had never been topped, then I would have had other people criticizing that "Oh well that doesn't represent real world conditions! People use toppers as directed!" Do you see where this never ends? At one point, you have to take videos and threads for what they are at face value. If it doesn't apply to you or to your tastes or preferences, then you just move on, or create your own videos and threads to showcase what ever you think is important. I am here to share my thoughts and experiences on topics. Everyone is free to start their own threads and/or channels and talk about what really matters to them.

9. Thanks Klasse Act, Coatingsarecrack thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we are in as much disagreement as you think.

I also instruct my customers on how to maintain the coating and provide with Echo detailing spray. I would love to think that they carry out my instructions correctly, but I know that's not happening.

If people were so into their cars like you say then they would be doing their own detailing like the members of this forum.

I agree that the OPC surely removed whatever toppings were on the Cquartz too.

However you are presenting a coating that has had several LSP's sitting on top being the interface with the environment. So it's not quite the same as a bare coating. You have to agree with that.

You're right about probably being criticized if you did bare coating tests too. I don't think the test is the issue. Just asking for full disclosure on such things so that one can take the information you kindly provide into consideration. Not because you have sinister motives or anything like that.

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack, Belo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    No I get it. The layman gets a detail washes every so often and comes back for more. Most pro coasters:detailers will however recommend a topper. The 30 yr (exaggeration) ones will require a maintenance which I bet includes a topper. You want to know what the best coating is for the person who doesn’t care and can get 2yrs with out touching. I don’t think theirs a coating out their that will make it a year with out maintenance. I don’t know for sure. What I’m saying is that is not this video. It’s like watching “chopped” and being mad theirs no recipes. Watching baseball and being mad theirs no Td’s. This doesn’t show what you want to know about coatings just “change the channel”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
    I actually don't top my coating. The reason for that is I don't think any topper is as good as Syncro by itself. I don't want to cover that awesome water behavior with an inferior product in order to make the coating last longer. What good is it if it lasts longer but I don't get its true benefits? I'd rather have to re-do the coating say around 18 months but having actually enjoyed it than say it lasts 2 or 3 years but then I had results that weren't as good.

I tried Bead Maker on my wife's car which has a coating approaching its end and that was never as good as Syncro. Bead Maker disappointed me. It sure makes the paint glossy and slick but beading is not what it does best. And it doesn't last more than a week or two. I will re-do her car soon with UK 3.0 + Gliss v2 and then use the good old Ech2o + Reload mix as drying aid.
    Do you use Ech20 and reload as a drying aid on your car? Cuz if so that would be “topping”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@DBAILEY: You brought good points and have done so in a respectful manner, so thanks for that.

In retrospect, at the beginning of this post, I maybe should have given a bit more background as to what people were going to see in the video. Because on my channel, my viewers obviously know my car and know what has been done to it over the past year, as they follow my videos, so I assume they know. I wouldn't change a thing in my video, obviously as I shot it specifically for that purpose, but on AG posts, as many don't necessarily know about my channel, a bit more info could be valuable.

But again, let's keep having fun detailing our cars!

16. Thanks DBAILEY thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack, Klasse Act liked this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast