autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing Polish For A Beginner

Thanks again for everyone's advice!! I'll update this thread as soon as it gets consistently warmer out. Getting the drag radials mounted on the new wheels this Saturday and then the cars getting dropped off to have the tune finished on it, March 5th.

Post Thanks / Like

If you'll be getting the Menz 3500 anyway you might want to try a test spot on a section you worked the Last Cut on to see if you can see a difference in gloss/shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read the whole thread, but if you're going to spend the time, attention, and money to do it right you should buy more pads. At least 6 for compounding and 6 for polishing. Pads are most efficient when they are clean and cool. A GG6 will give you more than enough machine, and a much more forgiving place to start. Plus you'll be able to buy plenty of pads with the money you save over a rupes.

That car will be one of the best looking at Gateway, if the weather ever improves around here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    If you'll be getting the Menz 3500 anyway you might want to try a test spot on a section you worked the Last Cut on to see if you can see a difference in gloss/shine.
    That's the plan. Have 2 different test panels and use the MF cut pad and the blue cut foam pad with the last cut and see what looks best. Then go over both with the orange polish pad w/ 3500 and see how it works

Post Thanks / Like

So one last question, how would you guys suggest cleaning foam and microfiber pads by hand? As in, after a job and getting them ready for the next vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pchang978 View Post
    So one last question, how would you guys suggest cleaning foam and microfiber pads by hand? As in, after a job and getting them ready for the next vehicle.
    After each pad is used, I spray the face of the pad with McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner, agitate with a pad brush, then I place them face down in a bucket with some 3D Towel Kleen dilution.

After I am completely done, the pads wash out in the sink beautifully.

Other guys/gals might use different products and/or methods, but this works very well for me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

7. Likes dlc95, derass liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    After each pad is used, I spray the face of the pad with McKee's Polishing Pad Cleaner, agitate with a pad brush, then I place them face down in a bucket with some 3D Towel Kleen dilution.

After I am completely done, the pads wash out in the sink beautifully.

Other guys/gals might use different products and/or methods, but this works very well for me.
    I do this exact process but with different products... works beautifully. Finishing Polish For A Beginner

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    There's a number of great polishing systems out there today made by numerous manufacturers. Optimum, Griots Boss System, and numerous others.

Quite likely as has been rumored, the Wolfgang line, and probably other Autogeek PBMG brands have polishes manufactured by Menzera.

Their selections of polishes may not be as vast as Menzerna though. That can be confusing too. Menz 3500 will be an optimal last step polish for getting every last little bit of gloss from the paint. Usually such polishes as this are intended to be used with the least aggressive pads. 3500 is not particularly intended for deeper RIDS (Random Isolated Defects) removal.

In the Wolfgang line-up, probably what would be closely similar to 3500 would be WG Finishing Glaze.

Wolfgang Uber is sort of in a class of its own, a sort of "hybrid polish", consisting of both SMAT (Super Micro Abrasive Technology) and DAT (Diminishing Abrasive Technology)

Uber starts out acting like a more aggressive "compound" and the larger abrasive clusters break down and diminish, getting finer and finer as the product is worked. It then mimics a very fine finishing polish as it breaks down and is worked.

Besides Menz 3500, if this is the one you will choose, I might also consider one that's slightly more aggressive to also have on hand within their line-up.
    I believe the Wolfgang Uber is based on Menz400, which features agglomerated abrasive clumps that basically break down into a "smat" style abrasive.

Todd discussed the abrasive orientation of 400 here:
    Meguiars M105 Ultra Cut Compound vs. Menzerna FG400 Fast Gloss Compound

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the article I referenced above. Was kind of thinking someone would have and could have done the super sleuthing and found it...

The ghosting footprint and the actual footprint - Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polishers

And the above ties back to this...

Flex 5 inch 8mm throw polisher!!

Mike, when I clicked on it in my Google search, it took me to a spam page!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Mike, when I clicked on it in my Google search, it took me to a spam page!

Yeah I'm not sure why that happens?

It happens to me too. I hit the back button and then it either automatically takes me to the right page or it takes me back to where I started and then when I hit the link a second time it goes to the correct page.

I know there's a reason or explanation for how someone is able to hi-jack a link but it's out of my area of expertise and ability to type out an explanation but I'll try to find out what the deal is?

Oh yeah...

Hoping for an update from Pchang978

12. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast