autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Foam Gun Setup

Gunny you have a PM

2. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the MTM sg35 snub nose gun. Works well. Just don’t forget the Teflon tape for fittings. I bought the sudmagic foam cannon and detail brushes from Jeff bezos. The detail brushes are awesome 5 stars. The gun maybe I’m expecting too much but I’m using 2oz of product and the foam is thick enough to blanket the car in white but seems to run off quick. Less than 5 min. If fright all the adjustments and have to highest ratio where it uses full bottle to coat my convertible mustang (minimal surface area). The products I use are CG snow foam and Griots foaming surface wash. The bottle is made right brass Connect on bottle and gun so the threads are brass too, no stripping. Just foam is two runny. Can someone who uses MTM comment on dwell time? Runnyness/thickness of foam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I have the MTM sg35 snub nose gun. Works well. Just don’t forget the Teflon tape for fittings. I bought the sudmagic foam cannon and detail brushes from Jeff bezos. The detail brushes are awesome 5 stars. The gun maybe I’m expecting too much but I’m using 2oz of product and the foam is thick enough to blanket the car in white but seems to run off quick. Less than 5 min. If fright all the adjustments and have to highest ratio where it uses full bottle to coat my convertible mustang (minimal surface area). The products I use are CG snow foam and Griots foaming surface wash. The bottle is made right brass Connect on bottle and gun so the threads are brass too, no stripping. Just foam is two runny. Can someone who uses MTM comment on dwell time? Runnyness/thickness of foam?

How much of water to the 2oz of CG Snow Foam in the bottle?

The max dilution ratio I would go with is 1:10. On the max chemical output setting it's useally dilute it 1:15-1:20. You can measure up what your setup has for the max chemical output setting from the foamcannon. If you fill the foamcannon bottle with 10oz water. And spray it empty in a bucket on the max chemical output setting. Then measure how much water water you get in the bucket. It would be around 150oz-200oz. The amount of water in the bucket divided with 10 and you get the dilution ratio your foamcannon has on the max chemical output setting. If getting let's say 200oz in the bucket you have a dilution of 1:20 from the foamcannon. And say you have 2oz foam soap and 18oz water in the foamcannon bottle. The dilution out from the foamcannon on the max chemical output setting is then 1:200 and if you have it on the minimal chemical mix setting you get 1:600. Depending on the foam soap I use I have 1:1 or 1:5 mixed in the foamcannon bottle and dilute it to be a great foam on the chemical mix setting.

Now the GG Surface Wash is very concentrated and they recommend to dilute it at 1:20 in the foamcannon bottle. I would think you are suposed to be have the max chemical output setting on the foamcannon. So 1oz of the GG Surface Wash and 19oz of water.

Foam soaps useally have a sweet spot. Where it's not to thin or to thick. With a to thick of a foam the foam gets too heavy and run off faster or it can cling to good and don't run off at all. And this is not effective and many think that it's good to be haveing a to thick of a foam. And if you have a to thin of a foam it's runs off to fast. So it's so you have to be testing your way to get a foam that runs off little by little during the dwell time to get it most effective to desolve the grime and lets the loosened particals to run off in the end.

This is when you use a prewash foam without any aggitations with it.

/ Tony

6. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous day here yesterday in DC Area! Took out all my Detail Gear to try out the new 2K Psi Greenworks (Stock) which impressed me. What I do not like (reason I started this Thread, reason going w Full MTM Hydro Pro Kit w New Container) ,,,,is that the Foam Cannon is over a foot away - at end of the Stock Wand / Gun Housing , thus making a good technique slim to none. (Sans Model #s) I will have the Stubby Gun, New Container and a more rubber hose by Spring for this thing!!

Answering this "Can someone who uses MTM comment on dwell time? Runnyness/thickness of foam?" - Not impressed with the Thickness, Foam Quality, or Dwell Time during yesterdays Full Detail. Never thought to "timeit" to see, but Im going for the seriously white colored, Old School Style "Shave Foam" look fo sure!!!!

**Yeah I know- it didn't happen unless I have pics. But it did happen, and drove it into DC/Work this am sleeeeeek!

8. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Fitz View Post
    Gorgeous day here yesterday in DC Area! Took out all my Detail Gear to try out the new 2K Psi Greenworks (Stock) which impressed me. What I do not like (reason I started this Thread, reason going w Full MTM Hydro Pro Kit w New Container) ,,,,is that the Foam Cannon is over a foot away - at end of the Stock Wand / Gun Housing , thus making a good technique slim to none. (Sans Model #s) I will have the Stubby Gun, New Container and a more rubber hose by Spring for this thing!!

Answering this "Can someone who uses MTM comment on dwell time? Runnyness/thickness of foam?" - Not impressed with the Thickness, Foam Quality, or Dwell Time during yesterdays Full Detail. Never thought to "timeit" to see, but Im going for the seriously white colored, Old School Style "Shave Foam" look fo sure!!!!

**Yeah I know- it didn't happen unless I have pics. But it did happen, and drove it into DC/Work this am sleeeeeek!
    Have you been out on MTM's website? They have some new kits available with quick disconnects and better hoses than stock..

10. Thanks Gunny Fitz thanked for this post
    Likes Gunny Fitz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Artdnj View Post
    I haven't opened it yet, very cold here. It's a green works gpw 1800 cheapy, looking to get something other than my gas pressure washer to make life easier. I appreciate the help and we'll look at the connection when I get an opportunity
    I’m sure there are other options out there, but if you’re looking for fittings to connect your stock gun (minus “nose”/bayonet extension wand), just last night I saw Menards has a kit with a bunch of the different adapters like SWETM showed. Looks like it converts to 1/4” male pipe thread, so I guess you’d have to figure out adapting to your foam gun from that.

Confession, I’m lazy and just use my foam gun at the end of the stock Ryobi wand. I’ve got upgrading the hose and gun on my to do list, but for now it works fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve gotta chime in and say I’ve really been liking the Griots BOSS foam cannon, Surface Wash, and Poly Gloss.

The foam cannon just plain works for me, even with the cheap Ryobi 1600psi/1.2gpm pressure washer. Still running the stock orifice in the Boss cannon; I debated getting the MTM 1.1mm one, but the foam has met my expectations in consistency, and totally works for dropping grit/abrasives off. Wash bucket is noticeably cleaner after switching to the Surface Wash for step one (AG confession: My cars generally go too long between washes to get away with going non-contact; especially in the middle of winter now). I’ve got a review thread here on AG somewhere, I’ve got a slightly more involved one on the sister site.

Favorite part hands down is not having to futz with soaps/mixing/etc.
    Thread surface wash bottle on cannon. Foam, dwell, rinse.
    Switch to included cannon container with plain water to flush gun.
    Quick wash.
    Thread on Poly Gloss. Foam, dwell, rinse.
    Flush gun. Done.

True to Griots claims, it looks like only about 1 oz of juice to do either of my cars. I’ll be restocking when I run out. Really want to try the Surface Prep, but since it’s only available in a gallon at the moment, I’d have a lifetime supply.

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I’ve gotta chime in and say I’ve really been liking the Griots BOSS foam cannon, Surface Wash, and Poly Gloss.

The foam cannon just plain works for me, even with the cheap Ryobi 1600psi/1.2gpm pressure washer. Still running the stock orifice in the Boss cannon; I debated getting the MTM 1.1mm one, but the foam has met my expectations in consistency, and totally works for dropping grit/abrasives off. Wash bucket is noticeably cleaner after switching to the Surface Wash for step one (AG confession: My cars generally go too long between washes to get away with going non-contact; especially in the middle of winter now). I’ve got a review thread here on AG somewhere, I’ve got a slightly more involved one on the sister site.

Favorite part hands down is not having to futz with soaps/mixing/etc.
    Thread surface wash bottle on cannon. Foam, dwell, rinse.
    Switch to included cannon container with plain water to flush gun.
    Quick wash.
    Thread on Poly Gloss. Foam, dwell, rinse.
    Flush gun. Done.

True to Griots claims, it looks like only about 1 oz of juice to do either of my cars. I’ll be restocking when I run out. Really want to try the Surface Prep, but since it’s only available in a gallon at the moment, I’d have a lifetime supply.
    That is really great how little juice that you need to prewash foam a car. Cause generally prewash foam has a little higher price and you often needs more concentrate. Above 3oz is what I use with the different prewash foams. This is a product I think that will be changing the opinions on prewash foams. The one thing I noticed most is something I rave about always when I describe how I use prewash foams. Is the live video description that first came out. And when he from GG clean rinsing it off from the bottom and worked his way up. Maybe not so much of difference know in the winter months but when the higher temps are coming it can be usefull to follow that direction. The thought behind it is that when start from the top and work your way down. That dirty rinse water sticks to a dirty surface easier than it's runs off a clean surface. Then it's also easier to see where you have rinsed with the water pressure from the PW. So you use the cleaning ability from the PW too. There I noticed they really have this thought through. And the foamcannon setup with both stock foamcannon bottle and you can use their solution bottles with the dilution tips is just great.

Would very much want to test out the Surface Wash and the Surface Prep. And see how they stand up to some effective TFR prewash foams I use. I think only from what I have read about it so far they will be doing great. Just wait until it's warming up and you can be doing touchless washes with it.

Post Thanks / Like

SWETM - I've been meaning to check in with another local (repair) shop/friend that sells Griot's stuff in his store front area to see if he's got the Surface Prep on the shelf. Might be able to bribe him to let me purchase a small bottle's worth instead of having such an overstock. With the Surface Prep, even with road grime it might be enough to go full touchless.

Summer months I was able to confirm that if I were to be able to wash weekly, I could do Surface Wash touchless wash, Poly Gloss, then dry.

I really want to play around with Poly Gloss in a non-foam cannon use case (like as a drying aid) - it's got good behavior in my book, especially considering it's been used on a car that hasn't had a proper paint correction yet. (Long commute/time with 4 year old have put taking the cars to full Geek level lower on the priority list)

16. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Dislikes Walshman disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post
    I’m sure there are other options out there, but if you’re looking for fittings to connect your stock gun (minus “nose”/bayonet extension wand), just last night I saw Menards has a kit with a bunch of the different adapters like SWETM showed. Looks like it converts to 1/4” male pipe thread, so I guess you’d have to figure out adapting to your foam gun from that.

Confession, I’m lazy and just use my foam gun at the end of the stock Ryobi wand. I’ve got upgrading the hose and gun on my to do list, but for now it works fine.
    Ryobi hose seems legit 40$ on HD online (exclusive).

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast