autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using a rupes 15

I still don’t use the Rupes blue pads even though I know to “warm” them up a bit. Microfiber pads just make things so much easier. I need to sell my blue ones on eBay or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll chime in here. Some good advice above.

First thing is to get a little time behind the machine and that only comes from using it.

Secondly.... hone you technique to the point where the pad is ALWAYS rotating. This again takes some time under your belt until you get a feel for it. Once you are holding the polisher properly, it will rotate the pad.
    I don’t apply much pressure to a long throw DA as the large orbit doesn’t require as much pressure as a typical short throw DA.
    Curved areas can be tricky but are doable. Always try to keep the curve centered on the pad and you will get rotation. There are even instances where the polisher may seem to reverse rotate when edging and that is actually ok as it is still rotating.

Personally I prefer a rotary or forced rotation machines for cutting/compounding and a DA style machine for finishing. That being said, a long throw polisher is certainly capable of doing all processes, it just takes a lil time and experience behind the machine.
    Jim

3. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you guys tested to prime the Rupes blue and green and grey pads as they recommend?

You hold it on the same spot for 25-30 seconds I think it was. So you warm the pad up and also saturate the foam a little. Then reload the pad with little polish before starting your section passes. This says to help with both slinging polish and the stiffness the pads has to be more following on the paint. Even helps with the durability of the pads and especially the green rupes pad. Think it was in a The Rag Company video where Dylan IIRC showed this. Could help with a better experience with them. The yellow and white foam pads you don't need to be doing this with.

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those green pads are firm.I put the green pad in the palm of my hand with pressure & warm it up. It only takes a few seconds & it’s ready to go.
    This fix was so easy & quick, using green pad with green rupes medium gel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes dlc95, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Have you guys tested to prime the Rupes blue and green and grey pads as they recommend?

You hold it on the same spot for 25-30 seconds I think it was. So you warm the pad up and also saturate the foam a little. Then reload the pad with little polish before starting your section passes. This says to help with both slinging polish and the stiffness the pads has to be more following on the paint. Even helps with the durability of the pads and especially the green rupes pad. Think it was in a The Rag Company video where Dylan IIRC showed this. Could help with a better experience with them. The yellow and white foam pads you don't need to be doing this with.
    Once I saw that demonstration I immediately incorporated it into my approach, and it has made those pads very usable for me.

Since I started doing things that way, I also find the pads take longer to exhibit signs of wear.

9. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    Those green pads are firm.I put the green pad in the palm of my hand with pressure & warm it up. It only takes a few seconds & it’s ready to go.
    This fix was so easy & quick, using green pad with green rupes medium gel.

Looks great!

Post Thanks / Like

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. I really learned a lot from this Autogeek forum. 40 years ago I was waxing cars for extra cash. And I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing. I’ve learned more in the last 2 years here than the past 40. Thanks to Mike & all the talented members here.
    Carlo

12. Likes dlc95, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to be honest. I really learned a lot from this Autogeek forum. 40 years ago I was waxing cars for extra cash. And I didn’t have a clue as to what I was doing. I’ve learned more in the last 2 years here than the past 40. Thanks to Mike & all the talented members here.
    Carlo

It's a whole new world.

I started in the infancy of the internet - 1996. I wouldn't get a computer until 2004.

So much information, so many tools, products and accessories since those days.

14. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried a Rupes 15 MKii for the first time today and stalled horribly on curves. So much so that I gave up and used the G6 to finish the SUV.

It came with the Gray backing plate and I read that it was not a good backing plate, so I purchased the Blue backing plate. Unfortunately it came in after I finished the SUV, so I didn't get a chance to use it.

I have a G21 & had a G15 and they dont stall anywhere near as much as the Rupes. Will the Blue backing plate make a difference in stalling? I greased up the shroud and the backing plate, anything else I should try?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    I tried a Rupes 15 MKii for the first time today and stalled horribly on curves. So much so that I gave up and used the G6 to finish the SUV.

It came with the Gray backing plate and I read that it was not a good backing plate, so I purchased the Blue backing plate. Unfortunately it came in after I finished the SUV, so I didn't get a chance to use it.

I have a G21 & had a G15 and they dont stall anywhere near as much as the Rupes. Will the Blue backing plate make a difference in stalling? I greased up the shroud and the backing plate, anything else I should try?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    The issue with the grey plate was vague. Some say it was a "bad batch", but more likely is was user error.

I'm guessing it was the heavy pressure some enjoy using, overcoming the hook barbs on the grey plate. The extra pressure creates a lot of heat, possibly melting the thinner hooks, resulting in reduced, or inability to hold on to the loop material on the pads.

The difference between the blue and grey plate is how hard it holds on to the pads. Everuthing else should be the same.

It took quite a while for me to get the hang of using Rupes tools as intended. I had to switch back to the PC 7424xp many times because I just couldn't get the hang of it.

Once I did get the hang of it, it became a very efficient and effective ally in polishing and correcting paint.

Does your G15, and G21 have the washers installed?

Be careful with the grease. Too much will actually restrict rotation. Just need a very thin film on the contact platform on the backing plate.

17. Thanks DETAILROOKIE thanked for this post
    Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast