autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are My Microfiber Towels History?

Because of the money spent on towels like that, I would have to spend some time decontaminating them. I'm frugal (er...cheap) like that!

After doing what i can I would do the ole CD test i.e. wipe the shiny side of a CD and see if they marr. If they do, relegate them to the dirty jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got some towels that have been to hell and back and are still safe to use on paint... I honestly can’t think of a single microfiber towel that I’ve ever owned [not including ones that were super cheapo towels to begin with] that I can point to and say “don’t use THAT towel, because it scratches paint”. IME microfiber towels are pretty resilient, and while stains may set in sometimes, it doesn’t necessarily render a towel unsafe to use.

Now I’m not saying that I reach for my grade D towels when I’m polishing a car or anything... But if for some reason I had no other option, I wouldn’t consider having to use my batch of Freshly Washed grade D towels a dealbreaker because I’ve never seen them scratch paint.

3. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I screwed up my wax towels by washing them with the microfiber t0wels I clean interiors with,I use cheap ones anyhow but try to keep them seperate to get the most mileage out of them I can.

I always have new ones folded up in the bottom drawer of my toolbox and a couple of good ones I keep in zip lock bags .

everything else is thrown in box and used for interior cleaning or other dirty work
    “I have trouble with names and faces, but I never forget a car.”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farmallluvr View Post
    I screwed up my wax towels by washing them with the microfiber t0wels I clean interiors with,I use cheap ones anyhow but try to keep them seperate to get the most mileage out of them I can.

I always have new ones folded up in the bottom drawer of my toolbox and a couple of good ones I keep in zip lock bags .

everything else is thrown in box and used for interior cleaning or other dirty work
    Personally, I would consider your wax towels as okay, considering what you've said. However, I wouldn't use any of your interior towels on inside glass anymore. I think the wax contaminated the interior towels, instead of the interior towels contaminating the wax towels.
    I say, put them to use just as you did before, but get yourself dedicated glass towels that you keep seperate, wash seperate, and only use with clean hands. Personally, I do this and I keep a pair of disposable gloves in the glass towel bag for when I need them.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

6. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheKonquerer View Post
    Hello Autogeek,

I was working on removing some stubborn residue off of my paint this week and ended up going through the majority of my higher-quality towels I use for buffing, drying, and gentle wipe downs. Since none of these towels really hit the wheels or lower areas of the car, I decided to throw them in the wash together. However, I didn't realize that my wife had just run a fine-fiber rug through the wash and it had shed some of its fibers into the dryer bin (probably the washer too). I do inspect the dryer for chunks of cotton/lint before I throw the MF Towels in, but since this rug is so fine, I couldn't see the tiny fibers in the bin during my cursory inspection. Unfortunately now all of those MF towels that went through that dryer load now have rug particulate embedded in them.

Is there a way to get those finer fibers out of my prized MF towels? Or are these towels headed for general use around the house?
    I am curious. Can you post a picture of the infected towel.

I find it very hard to believe they can't be revitalized. Like someone said, brush them out.
    Those towels are expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just be careful what you used them on for awhile. Sometimes after you wash them a couple times it cleans out bad stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I stand corrected... I was down to my last usable microfiber towels this afternoon and had to use these plush ones that are my least favorite of all the ones I have.

You can’t really see them in the pic, but there was tons of little twigs, rocks, just a bunch of stuff stuck in those towels. Supposed to be a clean towel but I guess the debris wasn’t able to come clean during the wash & dry. Those towels are too plush for their own good. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe fly07sti will chime in... He’s the Master of All Microfibers.Are My Microfiber Towels History?

11. Thanks fly07sti thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the fibers are what I think they are, they will never totally clean out of your towels. Might still be ok to use though. I am a little paranoid about my towels and especially the ones that are used for paint. I also use a lint roller whenever I want to double check how clean my towel is. Most importantly, I’m a HUGE advocate of having a lot of MF’s just in case a towel or two falls on the ground or whatever.

13. Likes Farmallluvr liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12