autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: IronX and IronX Clones - Fun Facts

I don't feel like starting a new thread since this one is already out there but I have some questions about this. Iron X is crazy expensive. I have a local shop that also has a Iron X knock off product and they supply local car washes. They want $90 a gallon for the knock off Iron X.

I googled the active ingredients listed above and cannot find a supplier for them. They must be EPA regulated or something until they are diluted out for a product like Iron X. But come on guys, there is no way Iron X or the Iron X knock offs are that expensive. Can't I buy a gallon of the active ingredient and mix my own Iron X?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 3D BDX at about $0.62/ounce vs. CarPro Iron X at about $1.07/ounce. Your local source is at about $0.70/ounce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    • Here is an article regarding rust removal, has anyone tried using IronX to remove rust? JSTOR: Access Check
    It works well enough for *ligh* surface rust that is somewhat fresh. Didn't do so well on a well-aged rust cancer spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul A. View Post
    I use 3D BDX at about $0.62/ounce vs. CarPro Iron X at about $1.07/ounce. Your local source is at about $0.70/ounce.
    Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is another option at <$10 for 24oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Iron-X paste will work better on rust spots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    I don't feel like starting a new thread since this one is already out there but I have some questions about this. Iron X is crazy expensive. I have a local shop that also has a Iron X knock off product and they supply local car washes. They want $90 a gallon for the knock off Iron X.

I googled the active ingredients listed above and cannot find a supplier for them. They must be EPA regulated or something until they are diluted out for a product like Iron X. But come on guys, there is no way Iron X or the Iron X knock offs are that expensive. Can't I buy a gallon of the active ingredient and mix my own Iron X?
    Looks like ammonium thioglycolate is available for ~$60 per liter in a 70% solution. Most products that use this or the sodium variant seem to have them at 20-50%. Assuming they're using a 100% solution for the 20-50%, that would explain the cost. Fisher Scientific.

Duragloss wheel cleaner uses Oxalic acid to remove iron oxide. I don't know if it's less effective than the thioglycolates, but it's certainly less expensive. Would be good to do some testing and see how much shows up with IronX after using the DG wheel cleaner.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Oxalic acid you can often buy in powder and mix with water and gets very economical. It's has a longer reaction time so it needs to dwell alot longer than ironx products. Many boat owners use it to take off some oxidation and or cleaning the waterline dirt after a season. The benefit of carpro ironx is it's safer on plastic panels and glass. Be carefull when applying oxalic acid on those parts as you can discolour them and stain them and etch the glass. Spray it on a clean surface and spread it out with a sponge or a mf pad or a mf towel. To spread out to the edges. Work in small sections first times so you get a feel of the area you get away with applying it on. Be carefull so it's not drying on the surface. Work in normal temperature and if lower temps you need longer dwelling time. And rinse off thoroughly and wash it afterwards to neutralise the acid.

8. Likes RippyD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the OTC wheel cleaners are using oxalic acid. The Eagle One wheel & tire cleaner is one of them. Some of the Megs Hot Rims wheel cleaners are too. Bar Keepers Friend cleansing powder uses oxalic acid too if you've ever heard of that before. It used to be a popular glass water spot remover 15 or so years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Oxalic acid you can often buy in powder and mix with water and gets very economical. It's has a longer reaction time so it needs to dwell... <snipped>
    This is great info. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    A lot of the OTC wheel cleaners are using oxalic acid. The Eagle One wheel & tire cleaner is one of them. Some of the Megs Hot Rims wheel cleaners are too. Bar Keepers Friend cleansing powder uses oxalic acid too if you've ever heard of that before. It used to be a popular glass water spot remover 15 or so years ago.
    So far I've only seen two: Duralgloss and Eagle One, which I just learned about from you. The Hot Rims cleaners don't appear to have oxalic acid per their MSDSs. If I'm reading this wrong or you know of others, please let us know.

About a year ago I was looking for wheel cleaners that had flourides so I could avoid them. Then I couldn't sleep one night and it turned into this spreadsheet of wheel cleaner info. There are no doubt more I could add. If I ever get a free hour I'll try to get the rest of the Eagle One wheel cleaners added and whatever others I can find.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

11. Likes dwaleke, SixZee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a nice list, man you get involved in stuff .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast