autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fell for the sales pitch - Griots Garage Orbital

Hey all, my new to me rotary is in the truck. I'm going to start doing some research on compounds. Not stuck on 3m, it's just what I know.

I'm gonna keep the GG, no need to use the rotary every time, but I'm not gonna stop driving through the woods, and I'm not gonna stop having crazy, stupid dogs around. If I come across a killer deal on 3" backing plate and pads I may pick them for experiments.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rduchateau2954 View Post
    Hey all, my new to me rotary is in the truck. I'm going to start doing some research on compounds. Not stuck on 3m, it's just what I know.

I'm gonna keep the GG, no need to use the rotary every time, but I'm not gonna stop driving through the woods, and I'm not gonna stop having crazy, stupid dogs around. If I come across a killer deal on 3" backing plate and pads I may pick them for experiments.

Oh man, check out Menzerna 400, 2500, and 3500. Meguiar's M100, and M205 are also stellar.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted and let us know how all works out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Meguiars D300 Compound. That compound is actually an AIO, it has very good cut but not as agressive as M105 or other super heavy cut compounds.
    D300 is an AIO? I thought D300 was a compound specifically formulated to work with microfiber pads and D301 was their AIO that you followed it up with? If that’s true that’s wild, lol. I had no idea.

On the topic of DAs - I only have a meguiars mt300, which has never really failed at removing anything for me. Just a standard 8mm throw, nothing special.

I’ve compounded out some pretty tough paints, the hardest being a VW Jetta for my friend before she sold it. A microfiber pad paired with some D300 did wonders and probably got her about 85-90% of the way there. I imagine that a 21mm throw machine would absolutely obliterate the defects, which makes me really want to have one (but I don’t need one, lol.)

I’ve also had really good success with Fast Correcting Cream, Ultimate Compound, and Pinnacle Advanced Compound with microfiber pads.

I’d love to see before and after pictures of your truck after you go over it with your rotary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finick View Post
    D300 is an AIO? I thought D300 was a compound specifically formulated to work with microfiber pads and D301 was their AIO that you followed it up with? If that’s true that’s wild, lol. I had no idea.

On the topic of DAs - I only have a meguiars mt300, which has never really failed at removing anything for me. Just a standard 8mm throw, nothing special.

I’ve compounded out some pretty tough paints, the hardest being a VW Jetta for my friend before she sold it. A microfiber pad paired with some D300 did wonders and probably got her about 85-90% of the way there. I imagine that a 21mm throw machine would absolutely obliterate the defects, which makes me really want to have one (but I don’t need one, lol.)

I’ve also had really good success with Fast Correcting Cream, Ultimate Compound, and Pinnacle Advanced Compound with microfiber pads.

I’d love to see before and after pictures of your truck after you go over it with your rotary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, you were right. D300 is a heavy cut compound

7. Likes Finick, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well lemme ask you this; if I'm going for maximum oomph wouldn't a 3" backing plate and cutting pad be the way to go?

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the offer, I'm just trying to limit how much more money I stick into this in case it's all for nought.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Yes a three inch will give you more cut. I wouldn't want to do a whole vehicle with three inch pads. This would give you an option to try something different without having it cost you anything, provided I do have the extra plate, I'm pretty sure I do.

Honestly I haven't tried the 5" boss pads on a machine with an 8 mm throw. Personally I use a rotary for heavy correction especially on harder paints. Also learning to jewel paint with it.

I don't know what kind of vehicle you're working on judging by what you've used and the results it seems to be fairly hard paint. Different size pads and a little softer paint and you may like the results.

If I were able to get a perfect finish on every car with a rotary I may feel the same way you do.

Anyway, if you're interested just shoot me a PM with your information. It would take me a few days to get it shipped out but I would get the stuff to you.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sending him some menzerna to try out. I think he could get most of it out with the 300 SHC. I could be wrong though..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. Likes rlmccarty2000, DaveT435, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Interesting thread...

I use rotary when I need speed and cut.

I use orbital when it's the right tool and the best tool for the job.

Demonstrated how to use the Griot's Garage 6" Random Orbital Polisher as a machine wet sander at the Roadshow Class this last weekend at Griot's Garage - worked like a charm. Used the same tool to show the class how to do a 3-step show car detail.

12. Likes DEwalt, VISITOR, dlc95 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

They got me. I fell for it and feel like an idiot.

No need to feel like an idiot... The Griot's 6" random orbital polisher is a very capable machine. I looked at the pictures you posted, I actually edited your post and put a [BREAK] between each picture so they were not all jumbled up in your post.

The scratches you show are very deep and beyond the capability of ANY free spinning orbital. I doubt they can be 100% removed. The correct tool would be to sand first and then use a rotary to remove your sanding marks. Sanding has to be done VERY carefully because if that's a factory finish then the clear layer is thinner than a Post-it Note.

Keep the Griot's, its a great tool. I buffed out this old 2-door Plymouth using primarily this tool...

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

Used it again on this old 2-door Chevy - in FACT - I chose this tool on PURPOSE to show people they didn't have to buy a $400.00+ tool to do show car detailing.

Review: BLACKFIRE One-Step Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

Packing up ALL the cool tools including the Griot's 6" ROP and taking them and teaching them in all our classes.

Everything starts with abrasive technology but at some point you also need a tool.

14. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, dlc95, Diner, Farmallluvr liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, what products do you use for your 3 step?

I hope to one day enroll in your class. I'm sure it's worth every dollar. What is the closest class around the central KY area.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast