autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gyeon Wetcoat: maintaining and topping?

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    If useing as drying aid they recommend to dilute it at 1:2 useing destilled water. N914 is great as not leaving anything behind but if you want some sio2 to waterless wash or rinseless wash get carpro Ech2o.
    I'm glad you mentioned this. Because I've been debating on getting Ech2o instead of N914+Cure Combo for cost efficiency. They appear to both do the same thing which is clean and add a minor layer of sio2. It wasn't until I realized that I have not been able to find anyone that carries the smaller 100 ml or 250 ml bottles as Gyeons website shows. Only the 400 ml. And since supposedly a little goes a long way when using Cure, it doesn't make sense to commit to such a large amount. Especially if I don't know if I'll be pleased with the results.

I think that they have tested to dry applying Wet Coat. Think they didn't get it to work out as well. I have read about a hybrid method of dry and wet application when useing gyeon wet coat and did it twice. After the final rinse of the car soap you leave it wet as useally. Then use a damp mf towel or sponge and spritz this 1 time and then 2 spritz on the panel. Start at where you sprayed at the panel and spread it out to the whole panel and then pressure wash it off. This gave me to use less product and have had no problem with streaking or that some parts is failing before others. That I have read and heard about have happen to some. The longevity has been 7 weeks with no degrade of it which I think is great in the climate environment I live in. This is with none washing between so no topping. It was some detailer in UK that came up with this application. So no more than 2-4 sprays depending on the size of the panel. Just wring out the application media when saturated and use nitrile gloves.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing this method. I love the idea of stretching a product so that you can maximize your dollar. The spreading with an applicator for more panel coverage seems to be a better alternative versus more spritzes on a panel. I still can't grasp the chemistry magic of how 2-3 sprays on a panel will protect the entire surface because the water rinses and sheets the sio2 down.

Post Thanks / Like

I was more refering to a Ech2o plus cure mix that some have had success with to not alter the look of Wet Coat with Ech2o reload mix. But I would use n914 neat and Ech2o neat for drying aid or QD also. Understand that you hesitate to get the 400ml cure. And use Wet Coat every 3e or 4th wash and n914 or Ech2o in between.

The chemistry is magic with those spray on spray off products. And I have heard about streaking when useing to much of product and hard to rinse it clear off.The problem with uneven failure I think is from when useing less product than needed. This way made sense to me to get an even spreading of the wet coat and it strechted the product alot for me. Not more than 100ml on a mid size station wagon so 10 application and easy 2 months longevity. If you did get cure as a drying aid or dry application easy 3 months longevity. Then it's depends much of how long you drive your car which longevity you getting. Lsp for me has failed on the lower side panels first. And it's outside 24/7 and have to say that the self cleaning ability has been great this winter. Last year protection from the dealership I had a much much dirtier car. And the difference I see to other cars is alot.

Post Thanks / Like

Although it could be used as a standalone, I would not suggest using the silica sprays as a standalone coating product. In my personal experience and testing, they don't last as long as the manufacturers suggest in real world scenarios. Having said that, I have Wet Coat, Hydro Blue and HydrO2 and use them all the time as toppers for my cars that have definitive coating products on them. Cure has essentially the same amount of SiO2 as does Wet Coat, but durability of Wet Coat is stated to be longer...Cure also has a narrower range of pH tolerance and more wetting capacity (less beading).

Frankly, if you're gonna go the Wet Coat route, I'd apply a base of wet coat and wash your car weekly with EcH2O (rinseless) or with Bathe+ and reapply Wet Coat every month. It takes longer to apply Cure, and I'm not sure what real enhancement it provides to Wet Coat. YMMV.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

4. Likes Klasse Act, CleanIT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I already applied Wetcoat to the wife's vehicle about 3 weeks ago and my car 1 week ago. The main reason was for its effortlessness. The salt and road grime were sticking to the paint like a magnet (Megs UFF applied late fall wore off) and I needed some quick protection to hold me over until weather warms up.

I just want to be able to stretch the protection as much I can before I try something else.

6. Likes SWETM, Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have McKee's Hydro Blue Sio2 spray on coating on my wife's Mazda 6 right now. It was applied New Year's Day, so about 2 monthes in right now and it's still beading but of coarse not as tight s say 3 weeks in. I applied it to see how it would hold up on a car that doesn't get the attention mine gets as well as one that doesn't have any protection on it, so far so good.

I agree with what Kevin said and once my car is recoated this spring I will use the spray on coatings I have (Hydro2/WetCoat/secret beta testing product) for a little boost when needed or when I take a trip somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

8. Likes SWETM, kevincwelch liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used WC for the first time today. I picked up their Ceramic Detailer as well to use as a drying aide going forward. Cure may be better, I'm not sure...

To apply WC I did the following: while wet, 2 sprays (no more than that) per panel and one on my wash mitt. Evenly spread it out, hosed off with pressure washer. Couldn't have turned out better. Beading and gloss are fantastic. Zero streaking. Laid down really nice and even this way.

If you follow the directions exactly, it works extremely well. I've watched YT videos of detailers who will say two sprays, yet spray 5 lol. It's not necessary. Less is more and if you spread it out with a wash mitt, it's perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Just did a wash after 2 weeks. Noticeable degradation in beading and sheeting of water, even after a wash to remove contaminates. I followed up with more WC but this time topped with Ceramic Detailer. A bit disappointed in durability, but I go back to the point that if you wash your car every 2 weeks or so, does durability matter? It's so easy to apply and air drying is simple once you treat the paint with WC.

I used Bathe Essence today for the first time. Weird soap. Very watery with minimal suds. I guess it worked ok because the truck came out great. It wasn't super dirty though to really judge the cleaning properties of Bathe.

I don't expect months out of the spray/rinse products. If I can get 2 months out of it, I'd be content. You're really paying for the simplicity and ease of use with a product like Wet Coat.

*I'm curious if Gyeon Cure is a better topper for Wet Coat than Ceramic Detailer......

I wouldn't rely on Wet Coat or similar product to get through a normal winter. Can Coat + Wet Coat is likely needed.

Post Thanks / Like

ECH2O is a nice product but seems kind of steaky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJNinja View Post
    Just did a wash after 2 weeks. Noticeable degradation in beading and sheeting of water, even after a wash to remove contaminates. I followed up with more WC but this time topped with Ceramic Detailer. A bit disappointed in durability, but I go back to the point that if you wash your car every 2 weeks or so, does durability matter? It's so easy to apply and air drying is simple once you treat the paint with WC.

I used Bathe Essence today for the first time. Weird soap. Very watery with minimal suds. I guess it worked ok because the truck came out great. It wasn't super dirty though to really judge the cleaning properties of Bathe.

I don't expect months out of the spray/rinse products. If I can get 2 months out of it, I'd be content. You're really paying for the simplicity and ease of use with a product like Wet Coat.

*I'm curious if Gyeon Cure is a better topper for Wet Coat than Ceramic Detailer......

I wouldn't rely on Wet Coat or similar product to get through a normal winter. Can Coat + Wet Coat is likely needed.
    I believe cure is more durable than WC so would use that to maintain Cure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Thanks CleanIT thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DUBL0WS6 View Post
    ECH2O is a nice product but seems kind of steaky.
    What ratio are you using? At the QD ration of 20:1 I've never had any streaking. In fact, Ech2O is the coating QD product I keep coming back to because I've never had streaks and it's so easy to use.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast