autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Car Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Car Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    If any lsp requires more than 1 layer you know its not all that good. CQ,CSL one layer works.
    Well, it depends just what your're looking for in a coating aside from 'performance', whatever that is anyway; appearance (and 'feel') plays a role in the finished product as well. And in the mutli-component or multiple layers of differing products scenario, each can lend a subtle little something to the final result. Whether or not you're willing to go that far for subtle changes is a subjective and personal decision.

Among all the coatings I've used, all look good, none really prevent all bu the lightest scratches but some do stay cleaner with little effort than others. The main point being, if you line up 16 cars, all the same color, all coated with different products, some single-layer, some multi-layer, from 20 feet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in looks alone. Walk up to them and run a finger across the hood, you'll begin to notice differences. Stand out in the rain watching them bead and sheet, and more differences will become apparent. Live with them daily and notice how light reflects and bends off of body line transitions, curves and flat surfaces and things will begin to stand out even more. SOme coatings are 'good enough' on their own for most people, some folks want a little more complexity and some just plain believe that more is better. Regardless, the statement that "If any lsp requires more than 1 layer you know its not all that good. CQ,CSL one layer works." is painting with a pretty broad brush. For me, neither of those products on their own 'work' for me. As for multiple coats of a single product, it too is personal preference. Heck, if nothing else it insures I didn't miss something during 1st coat application when the rolling stool got a wheel caught on a polisher cord, tipped over and left me looking at the ceiling, wondering "Did I miss a spot?".

Take Cquartz for example; it has a pretty poor 'feel' after application unless topped with Reload or similar, somewhat 'less than slick'. Is Reload another 'layer'? Yet despite this, it looks and performs rather well even with no real maintenance over a 9 month period of 20k miles.

My personal cars have 2 layers of coating W, 1 layer of coating X, and occasional application of hybrid product Y, all topped with maint product Z. Products X and Y produce subtle shifts in gloss and depth that I find particularly pleasing, while product Z provides me with an easily method to maintain the hydrophobics and self-cleaning. It's a personal choice, one that I've arrived at through much testing, time and $$. But at the end of the day, it makes me smile and works the best for *my situation*. Like a rather well respected pro says, "Find something you like and use it often".

While 1 layer of CSL certainly will 'work' (and the term 'work' means differnt things to different people, I found that it alone does not give me a particular aspect of a coating that I consider important, that being the best hydrophobics and self-cleaning characteristics I can get. CSL alone does not excel in that area (in my experience) and many others apparently feel the same way as CSL + EXO is a popular combo for Gtechniq fans. The CSL provides the solid base layer and the EXO increases the water behavior significantly.

I think that Mohs alone is a very solid choice, but it lacks the 'feel' and water behavior that most judge a coating by, even though at the end of the day it's self-cleaning abilities are still pretty good, although I really can't explain why. The addition of something like Gyeon Booster will add the water behavior that is pleasing to the eye and touch, but with that combo you're approaching $200; but credit to Gyeon, they are giving you slightly less potent approximation of their pro-only Durabead offering...but it ain't gonna be cheap. As for Syncro, they are again offering you and approximation of one of their pro-only offerings, in this case Duraflex. The Syncro combo addresses one of the shortcomings (perceived or real) of Mohs alone, that being feel and eye-pleasing water behavior. For one, I'm glad they offer this in kit for as opposed to 'Buy Mohs and then buy Skin' which would likely be back up in the near $200 range if sold individually. Additionally, they are avoiding the possibility of brand incompatibility that might be a result of allowing Skin to be dropped on top of any other coating out there, although at some point people will give it a go anyway with Skin leftover from a Syncro kit. I wasn't present in the lab when they developed Skin but I'd hazard a guess that in some areas, it's specifically formulated to work best with Mohs.

Witness some of the remarks recently now that Gliss has been out and used by many; some find it fantastic, others are questioning it's longevity with respects to it's most apparent benefits. To make a true determination, one would need to look at the actual usage condition of the vehicle (climate, garaged or not...stuff like that) and then look at miles driven as opposed to 'time since application' as a better barometer of performance. Additionally, it would be interesting to see the performance of Gliss relative to the coating it is sitting on top of. Will it work better on CarPro coatings...I would think that would be their primary consideration with allowances for off-label use.

The only thing I really know is:
    1. There is way more I don't know about this stuff than I do
    2. Item#1 will always be true
    3. There are no universal absolutes with this stuff so any declaration of such, while maybe the case for your individual needs/wants, applies only to a very small segment of interested parties.

2. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My issue with multilayer products are always is the dual layer application really needed or if it's just to ensure money keeps being made. And I don't use reload on top of c quartz uk. I've played around with some stuff on a panel here and there to experiment but not because it was needed. If one company can make a single layer product that works great all around, that's the choice for me. That's why I stated earlier I use UK. It performs great and it works great and all I need to do is one layer.
    You're right though, the whole point of these products is because of personal preferences. You can use gyeon One or you can use mohs, or Prime. I see Gliss as kind of pointless because the water contact angle is still 110. To me if you're going to make a topper product, 140 or 150 degree contact is what's needed, something that improves upon it. Not.. The same contact angle and lasts only 6 month to a year or so. Whatever topcoat is there should last with the base coat.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

4. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying anyone’s getting duped, but they’re definitely teasing the product by forcing everyone to who wants it to have to spend more.

I read the description just now.. It says 2 layers of mows must be layed down before it can be applied meaning a total of 3 layers to complete the deal and only then it’s completely done & ready. Does 3 coats sound normL or is that a bit over the top? Don’t most coatings claim the results with 1 layer of coating? IMO It seems like overkill is required in order to live up to its claims.

In all seriousness, I hope this multi step process for lsp doesn’t become a new trend across the board.
    It's all about how they are generating more sales/revenue. They can't survive as well on a one and done product so I ansticipate the trend continuing. Coating wise, I always layer to coats of any product and it's a solid performing system for me. Gliss and Skin, etc. are just sacrificial toppers I suppose that instead of adding hardness like the actual coating, add a layer of gloss and hydrophobic properties to the mix.

If after doing my wife's new car, if I have enough skin left over, I'll play with it on my car. I may even just open it and layer it on what I have to see how it performs and bonds. Can't hurt. Even if I Do half my hood this weekend, it will prove interesting.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TTQ B4U View Post
    It's all about how they are generating more sales/revenue. They can't survive as well on a one and done product so I ansticipate the trend continuing. Coating wise, I always layer to coats of any product and it's a solid performing system for me.
    Well, I guess they gotta keep coming up with new ways to generate revenue. One trend I've noticed in the last few months is the morphing of what used to be defined as coating 'boosters' (Gteqchnic C2V3, Reload and the like) into stand-alone sealants. Certainly widens the audience for that product segment.

As for layering, I just usually keep applying product until I can't get another coat out of what's left in the bottle. Call it the 'foam cannon method' of product application; perhaps of dubious value, but it can't hurt (unless mfg says so) and it adds a bit of fun to the mix.

7. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I somewhat agree the toppers seem more like a Sealant as a product but more like a coating at price point. Instead of 30 mls for a topper these company’s could increase ml to 300 it would be fair to consumer. Hold the comments I already know it is not likely

9. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    I don't know anything about coatings and have never used one bit the forensic detailing channel on the youtubes did compare the new synchro to CP and GTec...all 3 of which were multi step. It was interesting to say the least.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edit: reason I say that is because I'm looking to try my first coating but I can't decide between gtechniq carpro Geon for McKee's. Price really doesn't matter the durability really doesn't matter as far as length of the time it's supposed to last ease-of-use doesn't really matter I'm just looking for a really good one I just can't decide. Realistically it seems like the keys is about the easiest one to maintain and that has some of the deciding factor so all the stuff you need to go about doing it and then maintaining it that list gets long in hurry without even realizing. But that's my two cents and they're not very awesome so take that with a very large grain of salt
    The main thing about coatings is what real protection it gives you from resisting to chemicals, acids, minerals, solvents, salts etc.. i think in the test video Forensic detailing has dont you can see clearly who out-performed the best. the Gliss is NOT second step!! Reload as well, we never did 2 step coats. its marketing tricks which we leave to others. Gliss made for topping coated cars to get refreshing hydrophobic effect, gloss, anti water spotting and other contaminants. to be used after you see drop back beading effect from your existed coat. it wasnt meant to be super durable either , just super easy to use , quick and effective. any of our coating can be used alone without second step and with 1 layer as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    My issue with multilayer products are always is the dual layer application really needed or if it's just to ensure money keeps being made. And I don't use reload on top of c quartz uk. I've played around with some stuff on a panel here and there to experiment but not because it was needed. If one company can make a single layer product that works great all around, that's the choice for me. That's why I stated earlier I use UK. It performs great and it works great and all I need to do is one layer.
    You're right though, the whole point of these products is because of personal preferences. You can use gyeon One or you can use mohs, or Prime. I see Gliss as kind of pointless because the water contact angle is still 110. To me if you're going to make a topper product, 140 or 150 degree contact is what's needed, something that improves upon it. Not.. The same contact angle and lasts only 6 month to a year or so. Whatever topcoat is there should last with the base coat.
    Same as i wrote above, Gliss meant to refresh coated cars which start to loose the water beading contact angle, to give protection against salts and other chemicals, doing a coat with above 110 deg CA is impossible with high transparency , who ever will promise you that just lie.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Avi@CarPro View Post
    i think in the test video Forensic detailing has dont you can see clearly who out-performed the best. the Gliss is NOT second step!! Reload as well, we never did 2 step coats. its marketing tricks which we leave to others.
    People get overly consumed with wanting to try so many products and before you know it things that are optional suddenly become “optimal” or recommend for best results when in reality it’s just based off 1 guy who satisfied his itch to try his brand new products all at once.. And before you know it everyone’s doing stuff that was never actually recommended by the manufacturer. [i.e. immediately topping a coating with a product like Reload]

I’ve read so many posts that describe stuff like that. The same way there’s been many posts [not as many as there used to] with people using a spray wax/sealant immediately after they’ve just applied a dedicated liquid sealant.

I think the main excuse I read is that the coating alone doesn’t leave the paint as slick as they hoped, so that’s where Reload comes in and “voila” we’ve got the advice for best results when it’s actually not. Lol.

13. Likes GEM65 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet theres still people who say if 1 coat gets me 2 years, 2 coats will get me 4 and 3 coats gets 6 year durability. The same people also claim they get more gloss with more coats, the internet is full of clowns.

15. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But reload is accually recommended to apply after cquk. To get a layer over cquk so it can fully cure for the week it takes. And to prevent water spotting during this time. Think it has to do with the high content of sio2 in cquk that takes it time. The cquk comes with a kit that reload is in it. I agree after the application of coating I would not want to use toppers that degrade the coatings behavior. And coatings is not suited for all cause that is those that like changing there lsp from time to time. The coating maintance is rather straight forward but there is not so many ways to go as some wants. Then it's those that want as long of durability of there lsp. And maybe not want to do it every 3-6 months then the ceramic coatings is a very good option. So their is a place for waxes and sealants and coatings I think. It's just about find out what suits your way to protect and give your the look you like.

I have seen that there is a hint of a new version of cquk. That carpro UK wrote on the Forensic detailing chanel. Will be intresting to see when it comes.

Post Thanks / Like

Car Pro

For past few years, i've tried coatings & toppers from a few big companies brand.
    IMHO they have pros and cons as with others car care products but they do have their place though...
    i had my wheels coated with carpro dlux ^^

Since i'll be washing my car once or twice weekly and repair any defect & contamination, i leaning more towards easy application product like a spray on sealant.

Can't resist the temptation to lay down something after wash... Lol

18. Likes TTQ B4U liked this post
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.