autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Experienced opinions needed on this controversial video on car soaps!!!

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Lol. Doesn't matter if the soap if pH neutral or not. Guess what? If you are diluting the soap in 5 gallons of water - the pH of the washing solution you are using is impacted minimally
    I have a pH meter so I will start checking the pH of wash soaps and report.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Kirk Harrod's Mobile Detailing, Frankfort, KY
    Official Detailer of Camarofest 8 & 9
    No one has detailed more Camaros.

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I do use same car soap as shown in video and after washing I use ultimate fast finish..great results..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdSs8Zc4BE

same issue i had when correcting paint once a year...
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

Does he remove the Megs fast finish label so customers can't see they can buy it at Walmart?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    Does he remove the Megs fast finish label so customers can't see they can buy it at Walmart?
    Nope bottle you see in that video was pre production..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl3Uhb5ntY8
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Ran

Post Thanks / Like

I think for what Scott does for a living he needs to remove the road film and then apply protection right away. I mean if he's got a customer base where they like a freshly protected car every 6-8 weeks more power to him. I find his vids entertaining and he seems like a genuine guy, honestExperienced opinions needed on this controversial video on car soaps!!!Experienced opinions needed on this controversial video on car soaps!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is a bit overboard with this, but he has a point. Removing traffic film can be a big deal if you only see the car every few weeks. That soap is a very good wheel cleaner as well.

He has another video where he is using an off the shelf wash and wax when the car is not that dirty. Driving through rain where the paint will be splashed with road film is his main concern.

Overall I like his out of the box thinking, but don't agree with everything.

8. Likes mwoywod liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well he chooses the high road. He is correct but the thing is there's no need to use alkaline cleaner if the car hasn't see any rain, mud build up, snow etc. to collect traffic film on the paint.
    Also if you are reapplying the sealant every 6 months, traffic film is not going to hurt the paint in that time frame because you have to make the car squeaky clean before sealant application every 6 months. Traffic film needs a longer time to be embedded in.
    Besides this menzerna confirmed me that power lock or power protect ultra (eu market, finishing polish with sealant capability) can endure 12+ washes with hard water and strong alkaline car soap. So in the summer, I go with pH neutral if the car didn't see any rain. I use mostly alkaline car soap in the winter.
    Personally I strip with dish soap and super degreaser and reapply power lock (if I need light polishing I'll go with power protect ultra). I'm doing this 3 months apart in the winter and 6 months apart in summer. Which is around January-February (1st application of the year, winter maintenance) April-May (2nd, summer prep) October-November (3rd, winter prep). I've seen a great success with protection, cleanliness, ease of care and overall beauty of the car whole year.
    Long story short, use the cleaner that suits your cars need. Reapply the sealant when it wears off. If you want to take the harder way he is correct.
    FYI: You have to adjust the frequency of applications with waxes. They will wear off much easily, almost one wash with alkaline soap of any kind.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, a protect all product. reminds me way back in the early autopia days before ONR came out many were using the quick & easy rinseless wash. oh the memories...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    wow, a protect all product. reminds me way back in the early autopia days before ONR came out many were using the quick & easy rinseless wash. oh the memories...
    Omg !!!! You remember this stuff as well? I just finished up a bottle by adding it to my wash water to help soften it up. I remember the QEW days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

12. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has some great trix that are good but I don't agree with him on everything. And I don't think anyone has the perfect system. You can get inspiration to get your own system from alot of the detailing pros and enthusiasts who is share their thing. So I don't buy in everything they do but some seems interesting and I try it out. It's a way to get information on what can work for me. Then you have certain environment and in what scale you do it in and what quality you get.

As for this video and use of car schampo. I use a schampo that doesnt leaves anything behind and has the lubrication that feels most save to touch the car with and cleans. The ph balance is not that importened and I think it's not only that who does it if it cleans well or not. The different chemicals is what does that and the big guns use different chemicals that is on the both acid and alkaline side to have a product that is neutral in the end dilution. And even if it is alkaline you water it out to almost nothing I think.

In my situation where I live I use a alkaline based prewash. I use it from a foamcannon or pressure bottle to apply apply it. Apply on a dry car and let it dwell for some minutes and don't let it dry. When rinsing I start from the bottom and work my way up to get the most out of the product. The pressure wash work like a wash media and use the spray pattern to clean it with. This helps the to clean the most of the car without touching it. What is left the mf wash mitt and the car schampo takes care of. In the winter after the prewash I useally needs to use a tar remover which is solvent based degreaser. The road grime here is a PIA to get clean. Sure it takes on the protection but it's worth it for me since I want as little as possible of dirt left when I touch the paint. This is a common way to wash your car in Sweden. And the thing about it is that different chemicals cleans different kinds of dirt.

The protection with UFF is intresting to test out. Why I'm not sold in it is that in Sweden it claims up to 1 year of longevity and you can tripple the price on it also. So it's in a range of price that other products are more intresting to test for me. In mid of april I did 2 coats Ultima paint guard plus and toped that with different QD in either drying aid or after drying which I did the most. Got me easy through august and swich to gyeon wet coat after that with a QD every other wash. A WOWA or a spray rinse product would work for him aswell I think.

Ohh I just rambling on like him

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast