autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are your “go to,” most used products during detailing?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    Whenever a question is asked about best, favorite, go-to, or similar adjective for a product, the answer is rarely Pinnacle or Wolfgang, The exception might be Deep Gloss Sealant and Uber Rinseless Wash. Why are the others in these two lines rarely mentioned? Is it cost, or are they just not as good as competing products sold here?
    Wolfgang has two really stand out products in my opinion that I'm willing to spend the extra money on. The way I see it is everyone values different things. Personally, both WETS (Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant) and Wolfgang Uber are actually able to pay for themselves by increasing my overall efficiency and results.

With WETS, I find it works well on virtually every type of plastic and rubber trim, has a 3-6 months durability, requires very little prep, and a little product goes a LONG way compared to other dedicated trim sealants. This makes it an incredible VALUE which I believe is why guys justify paying a little extra for it up front.

Even though it's a Wolfgang product, Uber Rinseless wash could almost be considered cheap for the performance it provides. I personally use it 3oz. per gallon as a detail spray, Waterless wash, glass cleaner, interior detailer, etc.

Meguiar's D115 Rinse Free wash & wax is the same price per gallon & just as slick and versatile as Uber rinseless. But D115 requires 15-20oz. per gallon to perform like Uber can at just 3oz. per gallon.

Meguiar's D155 Last Touch detail spray is also about as slick as Uber and provides about the same gloss. But 1 gallon of Uber at $79.99 makes 42 gallons of detail spray. 42 Gallons of D155 would cost you over $800. lol

Best thing about Uber rinseless is how slick and easy it is to produce a streak free finish on glass

The point I'm trying to make is that the products people use from Wolfgang are the products that are easy to use, can make you more efficient, can simplify your arsenal, and make you more profitable.

I think the reason most detailers (professional) aren't typically using using Wolfgang's clay lube, Tire gel, Paint Prep, glass cleaner, detail spray, microfiber detergent, carpet shampoo, engine degreaser, spot cleaner, compounds and polishes is because they are terrible values.

Examples:

-3D Towel Kleen is 1/4 of the cost of Wolgang's Microfiber Cleaner and most people will tell you that the end result with either product is clean, soft, towels.

-No professional is paying $60 for a Wolfgang engine degreaser which isn't even dilutable. I'm pretty sure even the people that work for PBMG and Wolfgang know that the only people buying a "dedicated" engine degreaser are people who are new to the industry and don't yet realize that Wolfgang is using smart marketing to create an emotional response. Fear. They use terms that trigger an emotional response especially for those of us that are still naive and afraid that other general purpose degreasers like OPC for example and every other APC/degreaser that doesn't utilize "Wolfgang German polymers" and "smart chemistry" has harsh "caustic phosphates" and "high octane solvents" and will damage your engine.

-They sell a clay lubricant for $40 a gallon. I promise that nobody on the AG forum is spending $40 a gallon for clay lube.lol

-Most guys are aware that Wolfgang compounds and polishes are actually made by menzerna to PBMG specifications. If you are new to machine polishing, I think Wolfgang Uber, Total Swirl Remover, and Finishing Glaze are great options. They have a little bit longer buffing cycles compared to FG400, 2500, and 3500 and they provide a little more ease of use IME. The extended buffing cycle and overall improved ease of use is great, but there are so many other compounds and polishes that provide the same results for a fraction of the cost and without the heavy solvent odor.

These are all my opinions but I hope it helped answer your question.

2. Thanks Gray Bishop, EHV thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1, Eldorado2k, SpaceAce liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    Rinseless/waterless/quick detailer
    -Wolfgang Uber

Clay Lube
    -D114 or N-914

Pads
    -Yellow Uro-tec
    -Maroon Uro-tec
    -uro-fiber
    -Boss Microfiber

Heavy Compounds
    -M101
    -Menzerna SHC 300

1-step Compounds
    -The Last Cut Compounding Glaze
    -Scholl Concepts S3 Gold XXL
    -Boss Fast Correcting Cream

Polishes
    -HD Polish+
    -Scholl Concepts S20 Black
    -Scholl Concepts S30+

AIO/cleaner Waxes
    -HD Speed
    -Boss Finishing Sealant

Sealant
    -FK1000p

APC/Interior Cleaner
    -DP High Intensity APC+
    -HD Total

Degreaser
    -Optimum Power Clean

Microfiber Detergent
    -3D Towel Kleen

Tires & Exterior Trim protectants
    -WETS
    -Carpro Perl

Panel Wipe
    -12% IPA

Towels
    -Kirkland Microfiber
    -245 Edgeless Microfiber (Glass/Interior)
    -300 Edgeless Microfiber (Polish/Wax/Sealant Removal)
    -420 Edgeless Microfiber (Rinseless/waterless/spray wax)
    You consider S20 Black a polish and not a 1-step compound? Interesting.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Not including wash stuff, since that is basic care in my eyes, not detailing.

CarPro ECO2o
    CarPro Reload
    Edgeless plush towels
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    You consider S20 Black a polish and not a 1-step compound? Interesting.
    On porous single stage lacquer paints and softer clears the 1-step compounds I listed perform like heavy compounds that require a second step and on these paints S20 Black performs more like a 1-step or even heavy compound. But on normal & harder paints that require a 2-step correction, I tend to use S20 Black as my "finishing" polish paired with a yellow uro-tec polishing pad. Now that you mention it though I probably should have listed it in both categories.

6. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had NO IDEA Wolfgang had products made by Menzerna. I'm still new to this.
    Like Mwoywod I like Wolfgang Uber. an .88 cents gallon of distilled water with a $16 purchase of Uber Rinseless wash makes me enough detailing spray for months, compared to how much I was wasting money on prior to joining AG buying from ChemGuys on Amazon.

Few other things that i can't live without:

Microfiber Madness Incredipad
    Incrediflair
    DryMeCrazy towel
    Eagle Edgeless towel
    3D BDX for the wheels
    $2 Paintbrush

Post Thanks / Like

As much hate as it may get, I love M105 and M205

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What are some of you using for detail brushes? I saw one guy using a makeup brush kit for interior purposes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
    What are some of you using for detail brushes? I saw one guy using a makeup brush kit for interior purposes.
    These are the only detail brushes I need.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    These are the only detail brushes I need.
    I agree on the use of the brushes you list, but...

I would skip the second small straight detail brush. The big one and the one in the forefront are enough for me.

Have you ever tried the foam tipped oversize Q-tips. I wouldn't be without a couple of these with different shaped tips.

I also use a stiff small brush with a silicone tip on the other end along with a microfiber. The two ends allow cleaning in crevices and deep small areas (like cupholders). Otherwise, it's using my fingernails and typically ripping even nitrile gloves.

A carpet brush. I wouldn't use that nice horsehair on a floor.

And like some others, I use a makeup brush. It plus compressed air is the best way I know to dust delicate surfaces prior to introducing liquid chems.

I know too many tools can slow a person down. But, I think these are worth working into my system.

12. Likes Eldorado2k liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    I agree on the use of the brushes you list, but...

I would skip the second small straight detail brush. The big one and the one in the forefront are enough for me.

Have you ever tried the foam tipped oversize Q-tips. I wouldn't be without a couple of these with different shaped tips.

I also use a stiff small brush with a silicone tip on the other end along with a microfiber. The two ends allow cleaning in crevices and deep small areas (like cupholders). Otherwise, it's using my fingernails and typically ripping even nitrile gloves.

A carpet brush. I wouldn't use that nice horsehair on a floor.

And like some others, I use a makeup brush. It plus compressed air is the best way I know to dust delicate surfaces prior to introducing liquid chems.

I know too many tools can slow a person down. But, I think these are worth working into my system.
    Is this the brush you're saying you'd skip?

I like that brush. It's a cut down version of it's twin in the front, but the shorter bristles allow for firmer brushing when needed.

That brush on the right that's standing up is the least valuable and I rarely use it. It's part of a 5pk. I bought from China but instead of "boarshair" it feels more like a poor chihuahua got a haircut to supply me that 5pk. Lol.

I've never tried those foam sticks, but sounds like they're worth adding to the cart next time, thx.

I do carry these Detail Stix in my back pocket during interior detail and they come in handy for those spots when only they will do.

That silicone tip brush you mention, is it the 1 that sort of looks like 2 black prongs on the tip? If so I know which 1 but I've never used that brush. Sounds useful.

That horsehair brush is strictly used on leather and sometimes vinyl. I forgot to include carpet brushes, these 2 are my current favs. [the blue 1 I also use for upholstery sometimes]

And of course vacuum brushes... But that's another story.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast