autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loss of clarity with coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The plastic trim along the rocker panel looks slightly darker on the right vs. left side... Again due to lighting conditions not being exactly the same or IMO ideal.

It's as close as it's going to get its not a controlled experiment it's outside in diffrebmnt months. Every other person that's seen the pics can see it but you. It looks like there is a film on the car. Like I said I have 100 other pics I tried to match it up the best I could for the forum but I noticed it the day after it was coated as soon as I saw it outside. It's my car I look at it every day. You've seen 1 picture but I'm the one trying to convince myself? Ok kid thanks for the imput

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Yeah ok bro, to bad i noticed it without the pics hence why I made the thread. Its obvious you must be blind if you cant see it. Youre just trying to argue for arguement sake, i didnt need the pics to be able to see it i only posted them for the forum.

Of course it's not an exact match the pics are months apart.
    I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, please don't compare me to someone else... I do however sense a bit of, [what's the word I'm looking for] Sort of like when a old dog refuses to learn new tricks, for lack of a better word...

You're looking for any reason to come back to what you love. Sometimes we tend to refuse change in the beginning, it happens.

I just sense a bit of rushing to judgment. And a rush to use more products too? It's your car though, do what makes you happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm having trouble figuring out the issue from your photos, and I agree that the lighting and white balance are different, as is the angle. Digital cameras do not replicate this well enough unless the lighting conditions are well-controlled and in a black room.

Either way, I have used PBL coating, and with proper prep, it looks glossy and is slick to the feel. Never hazy in my opinion. (I didn't like the longevity, but I had no issues with the look or feel.)

If you exclude the possibility of having a bad bottle or batch (low possibility), the rest of the issues with coatings usually boil down to prep and/or application. Prep: inadequate polishing/micromarring or incomplete removal of oils and surfactants. Application: too much product, high spots, layering too soon.

Again, hard to say from your photos, but nothing beats the eye when viewed in person. Consider all the possible weak links in the chain of events that lead up to the final assessment. Lastly, I agree with others about premature washing and overuse of topping products. I'm basically down to coating and application of a simple SiO2 wipe and boosting every 6-8 weeks. Neutral soaps like Reset, Mystic Bubble or plain RW like N914...sometimes SiO2 RW (ECH2O). No waxes. No sealants. No polymers.

BTW, Eldo2k is a straight shooter.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

4. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Likes Bruno Soares liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The plastic trim along the rocker panel looks slightly darker on the right vs. left side... Again due to lighting conditions not being exactly the same or IMO ideal.

Actually its due to the fact that The trim is not dressed in the coating
    picture but whatever. You think the paint has the same clarity that's your opinion. I wouldn't want you detailing my car if you think the paint looks the same in both pics

6. Dislikes The Guz disliked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Theres a definate loss in clarity no doubt about that. Just polish it off and use something that doesn’t offend your eyes, thats what I would do.

Post Thanks / Like

IIRC you said something about not coating the trunk? If that's the case, IPA the trunk and lay some tape down, and provide us a legit 50/50 so we can actually see exactly what you're talking about... Because so far all we've got is that lousy pic from the absolute worst distance and angle to go on.

And don't go getting your feelings hurt because it truly is a lousy photo.

9. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do I understand your first post right that it's only the drivers side doors that has that look you don't like? And the trunk that was uncoated looked that way too?
    Sometimes the time window of when you level the highspots out you can be wiping down the clarity of it. And the type of nap on the mf can be one part and the quality also.
    If it is that different that the pictures shows irl also. Then something went wrong along the way or the coating is just a bad product. Or it's not your type of look that this coating gave. But all coatings are'nt the same in how they look. It's just harder to take off than a traditional wax and apply a different.

Post Thanks / Like

How about that can you see the difference here???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Do I understand your first post right that it's only the drivers side doors that has that look you don't like? And the trunk that was uncoated looked that way too?
    Sometimes the time window of when you level the highspots out you can be wiping down the clarity of it. And the type of nap on the mf can be one part and the quality also.
    If it is that different that the pictures shows irl also. Then something went wrong along the way or the coating is just a bad product. Or it's not your type of look that this coating gave. But all coatings are'nt the same in how they look. It's just harder to take off than a traditional wax and apply a different.
    I thought the trunk looked similar but I was only looking at it reflection wise. It's hard to tell on the trunk because it's contoured and it has the plate

It's on all the panels I coated that rubbery looking film. I took tomorrow off I'm going to get it back to normal then go back to the hybrid wax topped with regular wax. I really don't need the coating I wash it 1x a week faithfully and I like using spray wax toppers . I was just experimenting with the coating to see if it added to the look. I used brand new suede towels to buff the coating and I had those new no lint towels from carpro

13. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    Theres a definate loss in clarity no doubt about that. Just polish it off and use something that doesn’t offend your eyes, thats what I would do.
    Thank you thats what im going to do starting tonight

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast