autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Ceri-glass risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post

Oh yes, really good question. The PC was slow in removing defects or barely making a dent.

Gotcha...

Just to note, when I wrote my article showing how to do it with a PC it was because I know a LOT of people don't own a rotary buffer but since the late 1980s millions of Porter Cables have been sold plus all the copies of the PC.

So while I normally use a rotary buffer because it's a lot more powerful and this shows up as "speed" to you and I, I purposefully tested using a Porter Cable to see

If it could be done

And "yes" it can be done. This opens the door to millions of people being able to polish out scratches from glass using the tool already in their garage.

Then in my how-to article here,

Glass polishing - How to remove scratches in glass

I included this comment....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

My comment....
    You can remove scratches out of glass using either a rotary buffer or a dual action polisher like the Porter Cable type. With the dual action polisher it will take a little longer but in my opinion the glass polishing process is easier on you when using a dual action polisher versus using a rotary buffer.

I agree any free spinning orbital will be slower than a rotary buffer but lots of people don't own a rotary buffer but they do own a,

PC
    Meguiar's G100
    Meguiar's G110
    Griot's 6" DA
    DAS 6
    HF

Etc. etc. etc.

So if they don't mind taking more time they too can polish glass - but "yes" it will be slower.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice, guys. The System Approach it is. I've got the ceriglass and the carpro pads. I'll be diving in with a GG6. Being my first time, Deep Cleaning is my goal, rather than correction. I'll get a technique dialed in and maybe "dig deeper" next time. We'll see how it goes! Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. The System Approach it is. I've got the ceriglass and the carpro pads. I'll be diving in with a GG6. Being my first time, Deep Cleaning is my goal, rather than correction. I'll get a technique dialed in and maybe "dig deeper" next time. We'll see how it goes! Thanks again.
    If your not removing defects (real messy) and just want to deep clean, try Duragloss Nu Glass.

4. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used it on a 50k truck of mine brand new with the wrong pad. It left weird marring in the windshield.

I admit I wasnt educated enough and just dove in feet first...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
    I used it on a 50k truck of mine brand new with the wrong pad. It left weird marring in the windshield.

I admit I wasnt educated enough and just dove in feet first...
    Get the right pad (Car Pro) and re-do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harpolith View Post
    If you're just going to use Ceriglass to clean, use a stiff-arse yellow or gray pad. THat's my combo for extremely etched in water spots. I also used them to fix the marring I caused. Got it about 80% corrected, then hit it with the CarPro ones to fix it the rest of the way.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

8. Likes fightnews, AZpolisher15 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought both the CarPro Rayon and LC glass cutting pad, should I not use the LC one? Thanks.
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tran View Post
    Please use the CARPRO ones.
    Any specific reasons why?
    ·Ï¢årµ§·

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZpolisher15 View Post
    I've had the ceriglass and carpro rayon pads for about a year now... I've since read horror stories about making glass worse with these products. Is there inherent risk if I'm not doing correction work but just want to give my windshield a "deep clean"?
    I used it 1X recently but I never read any of that stuff? I used it very heavy (had to) to make it work. I used the 6" griots glass pads. I used the flex 3401 on speeds 1-3 i think. Treated it like a polish except that I did 1/2 the windshield as 1 section.

It came out good I don't notice a huge difference but it definitely got it clean. I would do it again.

13. Likes AZpolisher15 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast