autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WolfGang Uber Cermamic Coating Review + Update

Does it pass a baggie test at this point?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Does it pass a baggie test at this point?
    I'm also interested to know.

Gav'sPurpleZ, how does the surface feel after all this time?

Post Thanks / Like

I will check with a sandwich bag after the next wash.... I can say that the horizontal surfaces ( hood and roof ) feel smooth with the mitt and the drying towel.
    normally, you can feel some sort of "grit" when a vehicle is not 100% smooth.

I will report back !!
    Gav Details on YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/c/GavDetails

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    There are a couple products that work hand-in-hand with coded vehicles that you can try instead of stripping and reapplying. Drop me a PM if you'd like a couple suggestions.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    great ! will do !

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Right before I removed the WG Uber Ceramic from the WRX in May of 2017 (applied April/May of 2016) I decon'd with Sonax fallout cleaner, did not bring it back to life on vertical panels. Then I clayed with Naonoskin Fine clay mitt, did not bring it back. This was a car that drove about 70 miles a day throughout the 2016-2017 NE Ohio winter, got maybe a touchless wash 4 or 5 times in that winter period. The Uber was still looking relatively good on hood, roof, trunk but the vertical side panels from about midway down were toast.

The WG Uber was a nice product, first coating I used; for my environment and maint. habits it just didn't have the legs necessary to make it a good choice for me, which doesn't make it a bad product whatsoever. Just didn't fit into my world...
    I understand your concerns. My truck is my DD, 60 miles round trip for work. This past winter was not bad, compared to what it could have been. it was washed 3 times with WG Uber rinseless wash and the temps allowed for 2 or 3 2 bucket method washes with the hose.
    Gav Details on YouTube:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gav'sPurpleZ View Post
    I can say that the horizontal surfaces ( hood and roof ) feel smooth with the mitt and the drying towel.
    normally, you can feel some sort of "grit" when a vehicle is not 100% smooth.
    IME I find the opposite to be true most of the time... Just this past weekend I hooked my brother up with a quik detail, I gave myself every excuse to avoid claying...

1st. excuse was that whatever car wash he's been taking it to sure had the paint beading. I was sort of impressed considering you don't typically see that.

2nd. excuse was I at least did an iron decon on his paint... 1st I rinsed the car, then gave it a quik blow dry so it wasn't soaking wet then sprayed it with the green stuff.

Small/fair amount of imbedded iron turned purple.

Bucket wash went smooth... Drying was super slick, especially with WG Uber as a drying aid.

I thought all signs pointed towards the coast being clear... And it really was going to be a win win situation all around... But as soon as I tried the 1st wipe across the trunklid with a fresh towel sprayed with Meguiars Ultimate Fast Finish... Screech, halt, Rough! Doh! WolfGang Uber Cermamic Coating Review + Update

Everything seemed so smooth until that point. That's when I felt the paint and didn't even need a baggie to feel how rough it actually was... Oh well, he got hooked up for peanuts. At least his car is clean. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sad to report that the truck did NOT pass the bag test.
    What can or should be done ? Decon ? just a clay ( I would opt for the mitt ) Will I need to reapply ? or maybe just hit it with a Reload type product ?

the truck does look damn good though:

Gav Details on YouTube:

Post Thanks / Like

What can or should be done ? Decon ? just a clay ( I would opt for the mitt ) Will I need to reapply ? or maybe just hit it with a Reload type product ?

I would not worry too much about it not passing the baggie test. The important thing is that the coating is doing it's job in protecting the paint.

I would recommend a decon wash with an iron remover and a strong wash with CarPro Reset. This will not remove all of the contaminants but it will help.

Many don't recommend claying a coating. The reason for that is the possibility of inducing marring from the claying process especially with a clay mitt. Which takes you down the rabbit hole of possibly polishing and re-coating. If you have the time then go ahead and proceed. If not then give it a good decon wash and enjoy the coating until you decide to polish again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like

You stated you have been a long time user of WG DGPS. That is what I used last fall on my garaged black MDX. I'm about ready to start my annual detail on my car and my wife's white MDX. I keep wondering is this the year I should switch to a coating or continue with the WG sealant? I'm not looking for a product that will last more than a year because I will redo the cars annually regardless. I'm in PA, so I occasionally have to deal with snow, but never use a car wash. I just wait till I can bucket was kin the driveway or WG rinseless in my garage.

So, with that long winded background, do you have any comments on WG sealant vs coating? Shine? Water-spotting? Anti-static! Self-cleaning properties?

I'm sorry I did not start my post by complimenting you on a superb review covering quite a long period of time. In fact, your review is what raised my interest in coatings again.

10. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    You stated you have been a long time user of WG DGPS. That is what I used last fall on my garaged black MDX. I'm about ready to start my annual detail on my car and my wife's white MDX. I keep wondering is this the year I should switch to a coating or continue with the WG sealant? I'm not looking for a product that will last more than a year because I will redo the cars annually regardless. I'm in PA, so I occasionally have to deal with snow, but never use a car wash. I just wait till I can bucket was kin the driveway or WG rinseless in my garage.

So, with that long winded background, do you have any comments on WG sealant vs coating? Shine? Water-spotting? Anti-static! Self-cleaning properties?

I'm sorry I did not start my post by complimenting you on a superb review covering quite a long period of time. In fact, your review is what raised my interest in coatings again.
    Thank you for the kind words. I applied the WG DGPS to my neighbor's G35 2 years ago. The car still looks great... He washes it regularly and it is garage kept. When I made a video on how to apply the McKee's glass coating, I was waiting for him to dry the car. I never experienced water sheeting with the hose ( via a nozzle ) with the DGPS but it always beaded well. Seeing his car 2 years later, I would say another application is needed.

I only used the DGPS on my Camaro for the most part ( would use other waxes for my parents vehicles... "customer" cars are a thing of the past for me ). The Camaro is garage kept and wasn't fully detailed for about 3 years.
    It only sees nice weather and has only been caught in the rain a couple times in that period. The water would still bead nicely. The anti static properties are good. I noticed on my truck, the Griot's Garage speed shine seemed to attract and "hold" more dust / pollen etc.

I would say the "shine" or gloss is about even. The DGPS always looks great on dark colored vehicles... but i can't complain with the Uber Ceramic reflections either.
    the DGPS leaves the surface super slick whereas the coating left the paint smooth but lacked a bit of slickness.

If you plan to reapply a last step product each year, then a coating may not be cost efficient. As stated, my truck sees snow, salt and is parked outside, so I went with the coating to help combat some of the garbage it sees.
    Gav Details on YouTube:

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast