autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR 12E Duetto or LHR 15ES for Weekend Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

Oh the slant-nose!! Next on my reading list..

Do some reading in the Rupes forum in the buffer section. Lots of good info in that section. From what I understand with Rupes machines is you let the product/pad/buffer do most of the work for you rather than a PC style DA that you put some pressure behind. FWIW

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by John_k View Post

From what I understand with Rupes machines is you let the product/pad/buffer do most of the work for you rather than a PC style DA that you put some pressure behind. FWIW

That would be correct.

The technique for using Rupes polishers is polar opposite for using all other orbital polishers that I can think of. It's the long orbit stoke length plus the backing plates, pads and products all engineered and designed to be used with the long orbit stroke length that make this approach to correcting and polishing paint work.

If you're background and experience is always with pressing down firmly against the head of all the other orbital polishers to get cutting action then you need to re-train yourself in order to use the Rupes polishers. There is one exception to this rule and I show both in my detailing boot camp classes.

Here's a link to the most recent Rupes class...

How to use the Rupes Bigfoot Polisher - Detailing Class

And here's Meghan showing all the guys how to do it...

3. Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would pick up duetto between two since they have almost same ability but duetto is more user-friendly and shaper on the corner.

if having another one ,it must be 21 with no doubt. The best combo is 21 and duetto or 75e( if you already have pc or GG6, I will skip 75e to save money)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chriswrx85 View Post
    I am in the market for a new polisher and I am having a hard time deciding between the Duetto and the LHR 15ES. I am a weekend warrior and will mainly use it for my own car and some friends and family that ask for a detail. Because of this I am thinking that the LHR 15ES might be to much machine and the extra cost might not be worth it.

So I'm looking for some advice from some people who have used one or both polishers. Thanks in advance
    You've already got a ton of replies many of which are contradictory. FWIW, I was in the same situation as you. I owned a PC and wanted a Rupes. I finally decided on the 15 because of the longer stroke primarily. I'm very happy that I did. As Mike points out, it takes a different technique (though it is an easier one so that is no problem). It is also trickier to keep rotating on interior curves. It isn't hard, it just requires quite a bit of concentration to keep the pad properly adjusted to the surface. (Exterior curves aren't so bad.)

I kept my PC and still use it quite a bit. It lives with 3" pads on it, but I put a bunch of other heads on it for special purpose work (such as carpets and windshields).

I hope this helps you in your decision!

<TED>

Post Thanks / Like

If your going Rupes, I would get the 15. The stroke seems pretty perfect to take advantage of a "large stroke machine" for me. However, you will still need a PC or a Mini for smaller pads.

I'm not sure why some are saying the Duetto is easier to use. I really can't thing of anything easier to use than my 15, and the long body extends the reach of the machine.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you have someone local on here that has either the duetto and/or 15es and would let you play with them then that would be a safe bet so you know what you're getting and if you really want it as well (for many the stalling is a big issue). maybe someone on here will chime in and help you out. good luck...
    I'd say the Duetto. First, it's a bit smaller, and very comfortable to deal with. Second, because it doesn't have as much throw (12mm vs. 15mm) it doesn't stall out near as badly when doing complex curves. It WILL still stall, but not as bad, not as easy, and not as often.

I *was* going to say Mike Phillips actually liked the Duetto over the others. (Note that isn't saying he "recommended it". Being as in a thread back in November 2013 he said that he'd stayed away from recommending one over the other (21 vs. 15 and the then new 12/Duetto). Saying basically he didn't "jump on the hype train"... but after working with the Duetto he would (not only get on the train) "volunteerr to be the Conductor of this train".

>>>So what I wrote before was I was never on the Hype Train for the Rupes 15 and 21 polishers. I like them and I like how they work, in fact I'm amazed at how well they work considering the technique is 100% exactly opposite of everything we have all practiced all of our lives with all the other tools. <<<

>>>You guys are going to love these two new tools. I never jumped on the hype train for the 15 and 21 after they reached the tipping point and their names and popularity went cyber-mainstream, but I'm impressed with these two new tools so much that I'll volunteer to be the Conductor of this train.<<<

In fact; THAT is the reason I bought the Duetto. Which at the time you couldn't buy by itself, instead you had to purchase the entire "kit" at $500.

Don't get me wrong, I do not regret buying the kit at all. I actually think it's a great way to go. It included the Duetto, 2 blue pads with blue coarse gel (compound), 2 yellow pads with yellow fine gel (polish), the foam interface pad along with 2000 & 3000 grit sanding discs, the Rupes apron (which is a nice soft apron, and doesn't scratch your paint), 4 of the really thin edgeless microfiber towels (not a big fan, but they are soft for a really thin, really lightweight towel) AND the Rupes bag. That bag is VERY well constructed! I think it's a better bag than the $59.99 Flex Deluxe bag (which I also have).

The GG6 will still spin better on all surfaces than the Duetto however. Doesn't matter if it's ultra light pressure (which the Rupes machines demand) or you're bearing down and hammering through a job.

The Duetto is smoother (vibration wise) but it's honestly louder (with that high pitched Rupes whine). Nothing else sounds like a Rupes.

Took me another year to buy the Flex however and honestly..... even though it's heavier, it does a better job with all surfaces, with all different size pads, and with less user input, whether that's one-handed, or club-fisted.

Which is why Mikes post in this thread is a bit of a surprise.

It's still a good idea to read up on how to best use the Rupes, no make that REQUIRED reading.

Mike's "hype train" statement is post 16 of this thread.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tion-sema.html

This one is also good reading.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...r75e-mini.html

Post Thanks / Like

If I was making a suggestion to a hobbyist on which one Rupes machine to buy it would be the Duetto. (Although I would strongly suggest both the Duetto and the Mini in one purchase)

I own the 15, Duetto and the Mini. And I believe the Duetto is the more versatile of the the 3 for completing an entire car with just one machine. It rotates better, is more effective on concave panels and is easier to use on thin panels and edges. All of this is because of the smaller 12mm stroke. I can complete probably 95 percent of the vehicle with the Duetto alone. I can do something similar with the 15 but hard to reach areas become more difficult with the 15 because of the large chassis of the machine. Same with lower panels, maneuvering the larger machine comfortably is more difficult IME. I'm also not as confident sticking the polisher in areas up against an edge that I cant see with it (like underneath the mirror area). You have to be careful of the backing plate making contact with anything. That goes for any machine but with the Rupes 15 the effect is a bit more dramatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    Don't bother with the Duetto.
    why not ? I wish you would add a bit more context to this statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes 15 and MT300

Post Thanks / Like

I was in the market for my first DA, and torn between the 15/21 chassis vs. the at-the-time new Duetto. Todd Helme swayed me to towards the Duetto after I watched his seminar on YouTube at last year's Detail Fest. I think it was the right choice for me as a hobbyist. It is easy to use (I use the Rupes pads and polishes), it is lightweight, and it is smooth. If there is one negative about the machine it is that does stop spinning on concave curves rather easily; maybe I could use some help with technique on that front.

12. Likes Texchappy liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast