autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pad size ????

Post Thanks / Like

Pad size ????

Hey guys,

I just purchased a GG6 and 5' BP after researching forever and had a pad size question..

I understand why Mike and everyone recommends 5.5 pads, I get that!! But does that logic still apply to the new THIN pads that are available?

I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong now, wouldn't a thin 6.5 pad spin just as efficiently as a thick 5.5 since their about half the thickness.. Half the thickness = half the product as well, no??

So does the 5.5 pad logic still hold weight now, or fall by the waist side? From my understanding that IS the issue right, spinning? I know 5.5 pads being smaller will always have their place on the team.

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here but my Sequioa is just soooooooo big I know I can get away with a 6.5 finishing pad. But at the end of the day, I just want it don't right, the EASIEST way possible

I'm just trying to buy the right tools ONCE.
    So far I have a GG6, 105/205/21/26, Meg MF cut and finishing pads.

I'm looking at Megs THIN and LC Hydros THIN.

My name is LRC3, I'm a rookie and AG addic..
    Thank you!!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad size ????

Interesting question and i understand your motives for asking. I'm no physics or engineering major but i thought it comes down to the mass of what's spinning along with it's relation to the "throw". If i understand your point, i guess you're saying the mass of a normal 5.5" pad may be close to the new thin 6.5". If so, covering the area of your Sequoia would be faster. I'd be interested to hear what the true experts say.

Post Thanks / Like

If your talking about using a 6.5 inch pad on a 5" backing plate I would be more concerned about not having equal pressure on the face of the pad. I may be wrong...just my .02

Post Thanks / Like

The 6" backplate that comes stock on the GG6 will work with 6.5 pads. The GG6 has no problem spinning 6.5 pads. Thin pads should make the process more user friendly under the logic of reduced mass I imagine.

If you really want to go with 6.5 pads for the flatter panels, you certainly can with the setup you have. For correcting and polishing, you may find that you prefer the 5.5 setup over the 6.5.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    If your talking about using a 6.5 inch pad on a 5" backing plate I would be more concerned about not having equal pressure on the face of the pad. I may be wrong...just my .02
    No sir. I'm referring to 5bp w/5.5 pad and 6bp w/6.5 pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    The 6" backplate that comes stock on the GG6 will work with 6.5 pads. The GG6 has no problem spinning 6.5 pads. Thin pads should make the process more user friendly under the logic of reduced mass I imagine.

If you really want to go with 6.5 pads for the flatter panels, you certainly can with the setup you have. For correcting and polishing, you may find that you prefer the 5.5 setup over the 6.5.
    That's where I was going to be honest 5.5 compound/polish, 6.5 wax.

Thanks guys, hope I wasn't overthinking, just throwing out a thought. These thin pads do add a different variable to old thinking.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcate
    Black isn't a color, it's a part time job.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience it is more about the increased surface area of a 6 1/2" pad that increases the amount of total friction and therefore, increases the amount of torque required to spin the pad

Going from a 5 1/2" to 6 1/2" pad increases surface area by 40%

Theoretically, this would cut you polishing time by 40%

The decreased thickness of the pad does reduce the amount of energy lost between the BP and the paint. This also helps with rotation and cutting power.

I mainly use 5 1/2" pads on my FLEX, but the next set of pads I buy will be 6"

I believe you should use the largest pad that your machine can rotate and you can efficiently work into the curves. You wouldn't polish an entire car with 4" pads, so why would you use 5 1/2" when you can use 6 1/2"?

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've heard the GG machine has quite a bit of power. I don't think you would have any issues using the larger plate.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly..... the GG6 doesn't have a problem spinning, compounding, polishing with even the 6˝" CCS pads. Where the smaller pad come into play more is once you start working the curves.

I'd say you could hit your large flat areas on the Sequoia with whatever 6˝" pads you have laying around. I stopped using them on my GG6 but it wasn't because they were not spinning/working. I just liked the feel of the smaller pad better.

FWIW I like the CCS pads (in either size) because they have flat edges. Much easier to get up to an edge with them than a curved edge pad.

Next week though I'll be getting my new Flex 3401 from Nick (er: Santa) and it'll be time to break out the 4~5 dozen 6˝" pads again.

I can tell ya' one thing, the Rupes Duetto WILL NOT work with the larger pads! That puppy really likes the Rupes pads, plus those pads have a nice defined edge (with their reverse taper) that makes them get up to an edge as good as (if not better) than the CCS pads. Although, the Duetto works great with any 5˝" pad.

One thing it does do (well all the Rupes machines actually) is HOLD ON TO THE PADS like they've been WELDED onto the backing plate. Getting the foam pads off the backing plate you need to be careful. But OMG.... if you are working with one of the Rupes microfiber pads... you need to first let it cool for a while, then second, be very very VERY careful, working around the edge, perhaps even taking the back of a small brush handle, or a plastic scraper/credit card and stuffing it between the pad and backing plate while you work your way around it. The microfiber pads have a foam back, (sort of feels like heavy latex foam) that heats up a bit, but more importantly will COMPLETELY rip apart when you are trying to remove the pad from the backing plate.

Nobody will EVER say that Rupes doesn't use the toughest Velcro on the planet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    In my experience it is more about the increased surface area of a 6 1/2" pad that increases the amount of total friction and therefore, increases the amount of torque required to spin the pad

Going from a 5 1/2" to 6 1/2" pad increases surface area by 40%

Theoretically, this would cut you polishing time by 40%

The decreased thickness of the pad does reduce the amount of energy lost between the BP and the paint. This also helps with rotation and cutting power.

I mainly use 5 1/2" pads on my FLEX, but the next set of pads I buy will be 6"

I believe you should use the largest pad that your machine can rotate and you can efficiently work into the curves. You wouldn't polish an entire car with 4" pads, so why would you use 5 1/2" when you can use 6 1/2"?
    Agreed, especially regarding surface area.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    Honestly..... the GG6 doesn't have a problem spinning, compounding, polishing with even the 6˝" CCS pads. Where the smaller pad come into play more is once you start working the curves.

I'd say you could hit your large flat areas on the Sequoia with whatever 6˝" pads you have laying around. I stopped using them on my GG6 but it wasn't because they were not spinning/working. I just liked the feel of the smaller pad better.

FWIW I like the CCS pads (in either size) because they have flat edges. Much easier to get up to an edge with them than a curved edge pad.

Next week though I'll be getting my new Flex 3401 from Nick (er: Santa) and it'll be time to break out the 4~5 dozen 6˝" pads again.

I can tell ya' one thing, the Rupes Duetto WILL NOT work with the larger pads! That puppy really likes the Rupes pads, plus those pads have a nice defined edge (with their reverse taper) that makes them get up to an edge as good as (if not better) than the CCS pads. Although, the Duetto works great with any 5˝" pad.

One thing it does do (well all the Rupes machines actually) is HOLD ON TO THE PADS like they've been WELDED onto the backing plate. Getting the foam pads off the backing plate you need to be careful. But OMG.... if you are working with one of the Rupes microfiber pads... you need to first let it cool for a while, then second, be very very VERY careful, working around the edge, perhaps even taking the back of a small brush handle, or a plastic scraper/credit card and stuffing it between the pad and backing plate while you work your way around it. The microfiber pads have a foam back, (sort of feels like heavy latex foam) that heats up a bit, but more importantly will COMPLETELY rip apart when you are trying to remove the pad from the backing plate.

Nobody will EVER say that Rupes doesn't use the toughest Velcro on the planet!
    That's great insight into the Duetto!

I haven't had their microfiber pads get warm on me yet, but I'm running them on a pc. Even on my dynabrade plates, I still remove them carefully. Once I get an edge up, I run my fingers along the plate to separate them.

You're getting your Flex next week, and I should be ordering my Duetto next week! My 3401 is hanging with me and the pc as I type!

I really want to try the 7" Rupes microfiber discs on the 3401.... I can't find them anywhere though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast