autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever Do This To Your Pad?

I was using a PC buffer on speed 6 and Meguiars 82 polish. I burned up two of these on one car.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...1&d=1405690207
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ever Do This To Your Pad?-pad-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ever Do This To Your Pad?

What backing plate are you using? #82, I don't think they even make that anymore...I haven't used that in forever. If you have that old red and white Meguiar's backing plate...that doesn't like speed 6.

Post Thanks / Like
    The pads is melted. It's from heat and using the buffer at too high a speed, with too much downward pressure, with too much polish - or any combo of.

Instead of using the orange pad so aggressively, switch to a more aggressive polish/pad combo and use the buffer at speed 5 with less pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a 6.5" pad also? Try the thinner 5.5" pads.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    The pads is melted. It's from heat and using the buffer at too high a speed, with too much downward pressure, with too much polish - or any combo of.

Instead of using the orange pad so aggressively, switch to a more aggressive polish/pad combo and use the buffer at speed 5 with less pressure.
    Thanks for actually helping the OP, which I didn't. Just to elaborate, "too much polish", ie, a saturated pad, improves heat transfer through the foam which can overheat the Velcro. It can also come from the other direction from backing plate-induced heating from speed/pressure.

One way to combat this is to change pads to let things cool off. As Swanic noted, #82 is an old-school polish that doesn't have much cut; you'd be better served by one of the newer Meg's polishes like 105/205 or if you want to buy locally Ultimate Compound/Ultimate Polish. That will allow you to get better results with less speed/pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the tips. This is a LC 5.5" low profile pad. The heat was coming from the BP side. The BP is an AG 5.5". Meguiars 82 should be similar in cut to 205. I think it's a DAT rather than a SMAT, but I'm not certain of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tector View Post
    Meguiars 82 should be similar in cut to 205. I think it's a DAT rather than a SMAT, but I'm not certain of that.
    Yes, but you're going to have to work a lot harder with 82 to get the same results. Working harder means higher speeds, more pressure, more time...all of which are contributing to overheating the pad/backing plate interface.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 205, and next time I will try that instead. This was on a new car that needed very little correction, and that's why I was using a really mild polish. It will be awhile before I need to do anything other that wax this vehicle again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tector View Post
    Thank you for the tips. This is a LC 5.5" low profile pad. The heat was coming from the BP side. The BP is an AG 5.5". Meguiars 82 should be similar in cut to 205. I think it's a DAT rather than a SMAT, but I'm not certain of that.
    Not knowing what 'buffer' you are using, but is the compression washer installed? If the BP is hitting the housing, even a little bit, the friction can heat up the BP.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your help. After doing a bit my research, I think the biggest cause for the heat was the compound. Meguiars 82 is NOT recommended for DA polishers. I normally use it as a final polish on a new paint job using a rotary buffer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.