autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Which LC pads to get for AIO detail jobs

Hi,

There are so many types of LC pads and don't think all are necessary. Any suggestions as to which I should carry for jobs using AIOs?

These sort of jobs are for the majority of people who just want their car to sparkle and shine (production detail).

As a side note: I'm not interested in promising swirl mark or water spot removal, but if they ask/I suggest it, they can pay extra for my time and effort. So if they do want this service, what pads would you go for? I use megs ult compound and ult polish as well as menz pg1000, pf2500 and uf5000 for swirl/water mark removal.

Also how many pads would you carry for a job on a sedan such as a holden commodore?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which LC pads to get for AIO detail jobs

well first i want to say im not a pro here. I dont think some of the products you mentioned are AIOs. they are more like polishes they dont protect.
    I just did someones car that was in pretty bad shape and used xmt 360 with a lake country white hybid pad. the car came out nice. with the products you mentioned you will have to apply a wax which would be more work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post
    Hi,

There are so many types of LC pads and don't think all are necessary. Any suggestions as to which I should carry for jobs using AIOs?

These sort of jobs are for the majority of people who just want their car to sparkle and shine (production detail).

As a side note: I'm not interested in promising swirl mark or water spot removal, but if they ask/I suggest it, they can pay extra for my time and effort. So if they do want this service, what pads would you go for? I use megs ult compound and ult polish as well as menz pg1000, pf2500 and uf5000 for swirl/water mark removal.

Also how many pads would you carry for a job on a sedan such as a holden commodore?

Thanks!
    First, as the other poster mentioned, the products you mentioned aren't AIO's in my experience.

Second, AIOs come in (at least) two broad classes: 1) no abrasive AIOs such as Klasse, Zaino or Werkstat Prime; 2) Abrasive AIOs such as Optimum Poli-Seal or Duragloss 501.

Using a Porter Cable, on Abrasive AIOs, I use the white CCS pads. On non-abasive AIO's I use the light green CCS pads. There isn't a lot of difference between those pads, however. As always, YMMV - especially if you use some other polisher.

Regards,
    <TED>

Post Thanks / Like

A true AIO is what the others has mentioned, It will to, certain degree, correct your paint and protect it at the same time. With your inquiry, it seems that your refering to a 1 step polish, am i understanding it right?
    For pads, i use lake country white ccs pad or tangerine hydrotech pads, white flat pads will do also, i also have a yellow rupes pad for a 1 step polish application. Usually you will be using 2-3 pads per car.
    Ej

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitoy22 View Post
    A true AIO is what the others has mentioned, It will to, certain degree, correct your paint and protect it at the same time. With your inquiry, it seems that your refering to a 1 step polish, am i understanding it right?
    For pads, i use lake country white ccs pad or tangerine hydrotech pads, white flat pads will do also, i also have a yellow rupes pad for a 1 step polish application. Usually you will be using 2-3 pads per car.
    Yes, you are right. I'm looking for a one step clean/polish/protect system instead if using my menz stuff. I want to reserve my menz gear for corrections and charge more fo the service.

I'll up sell then customer for a finishing sealant after the one step process.

So basically 2-3 white pads per car? Any advantage in a higher cutting pad just in case the paint is quite oxidized and/or swirled? Or should I be forgetting about promising swirl removal and leave that for a multistage process?

I've had a few suggestions on AIOs. They are xmt 360, colorx and HD Speed. As I've not had any experience with the any AIO I can't afford to experiment with each one to determine which is best to cover a good spectrum of paint conditions. Mainly working on 75% DDs and 25% garage queens.

Any other suggestions on AIOs?

Post Thanks / Like

I like 5.5" Lake Country Flat pads, I have two of the orange,white and black finishing pads.
    Great for All in One, well they work for any type of polishing.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzz123 View Post

As a side note: I'm not interested in promising swirl mark or water spot removal, but if they ask/I suggest it, they can pay extra for my time and effort.
    IMO you should be using an orange pad for what you are doing. It's going to give you more cut to get the car "sparkly" faster, and for the market you are describing the finish will be fine. I like the Hydro-Tech tangerine pads, but someone mentioned the LC Hybrid pads, in that case the blue or perhaps white would be more equivalent.

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars D151 is another good AIO. I also use White or Green on the majority of my AIO applications but occasionally have had to use an Orange.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Meguiars D151 is another good AIO. I also use White or Green on the majority of my AIO applications but occasionally have had to use an Orange.
    Unfortunately we can't get D151 in Oz, even the Meguiars online Australian store doesn't have it listed. I'm leaning more to Durogloss 501 as my first venture into AIO.

As a side note, apart from saving time, is there any other benefit in using a black pad for applying waxes/sealants as opposed to applied manually?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tedj101 View Post
    2) Abrasive AIOs such as Optimum Poli-Seal or Duragloss 501.
    <TED>
    Ted--I believe it's been pretty well established that 501 has little to no abrasiveness to it. I think Richy has stated any abrasiveness comes from the pad used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast