autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting big mistake...

Yes, good points, Don, and not the least of which is to say it certainly wasn't intentional and we all make mistakes. I have made more than my share over the years and some costlier than others. But they are all learning experiences. You'll get beyond this one John Jethro and i appreciate you sharing it with us...helps remind us all to not be too comfortable with what we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZL1 Mark View Post
    If you're using a rotary and wool pad, you should understand its capability in ALL situations. Bumper paint has a flexing agent in it that does not do well with heat. The paint will "shrink" or burn through very easily, especially on an edge like that. I'd advise you put down that rotary buffer until you have a better understanding of it. Not trying to be rude.

Yeah..I really still need a lot of learning..ever since this incident, now I'm afraid of using wool pad..I must learn to tame this beast then I'll be comfortable with it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Yes, good points, Don, and not the least of which is to say it certainly wasn't intentional and we all make mistakes. I have made more than my share over the years and some costlier than others. But they are all learning experiences. You'll get beyond this one John Jethro and i appreciate you sharing it with us...helps remind us all to not be too comfortable with what we do.

Yeah I agree, Don have a great point. Sometimes I get too comfortable and mistakes happen. But it's a learning process to be better. Thanks a bunch guys for telling me what to do. Conclusion: I admit it was my fault I worsen the paint, and by some chance they already planned to send it for a respray so they are said it's ok I don't have to pay for the respray. And at the end I didn't charge them for the exterior detailing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John_Jethro View Post
    Guys I really need all of the pros help...I'm facing a hard time after a client asked for her "scratch" which was obviously a paint transfer on her plastic bumper. At that time I left my rubbing compound by coincidence. So I decided to take my cutting wool pad on my Dewalt 849X rotary polisher with Meg UC, run through the paint transfer with some pressure but to no avail, it did not remove so I decided to put even more pressure then...paint came off.Attachment 33921 Attachment 33922
    The bumper will most likely be plastic, which will heat up quicker and possibly melt. Looks like that's what happened. Picking up the buffer would've been the last resort. Paint transfer usually wipes of with adhesive remover, clay bar or even a Mr. Clean eraser. Always use the least aggressive method first and bump it up as you go.
    Ultimate Custom Detailing LLC
    770-771-9837
    www.ultimatecustomdetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I will use that method from now on, from least abrasive to higher.

Post Thanks / Like

That's some serious punch...wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    In the past I have found that the best thing to do is:
    A) Stand up and admit your mistake, take ownership of it with no excuses *Except for ones that place the blame back on yourself*

B) Apologize for your mistake.

C) Clearly show that it is your intent to correct the mistake to the customer's satisfaction

D) LEARN from your mistake.

It wasn't intentional, it was a mistake, don't beat yourself up AND don't let anyone else beat you up for it. Things happen that we have no control over, accept it, live with it and move on.

EDIT: If you ever find yourself pressed for time again, take things off the "To Do" list and only finish what you can finish with quality, ask for another day in the near future, and explain that in order to do things PROPERLY, you need an extra day. Most will understand.
    this is a great post.

re: the part about taking ownership of it and learning, you'd be surprised at what occurs with things like this, even with pros. despite what someone's online reputation might be, they can be absolute snakes.

OP, for the future, one thing i've found that can work on stuff like this, at least as a second course of action if topical stuff (solvent wipe, etc.) doesn't work..is a magic eraser by hand. whatever light damage what can occur from the abrasion of the magic eraser material can be easily polished out.

also, there are people out there who do bumper repairs on a mobile basis. not all of them are good, that's for sure, but sometimes there are some REAL artists out there who can make stuff like that almost disappear, esp. to the general public's eye (vs., say, one of us).
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy hell....

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah..I really still need a lot of learning..ever since this incident, now I'm afraid of using wool pad..I must learn to tame this beast then I'll be comfortable with it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscarora dave View Post

I guess the moral of the story is, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

And at the end I didn't charge them for the exterior detailing.
    Good damage control tactic!! Chances are, you'll hear from them again someday for car care services. Good ending with lots of lessons learned as a result of sharing your mistake here on the forum. Shine on!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast