autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sealants???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Sealants???

hey guys so i got another question. Whats the deal with sealants? I have never used them but recently got a set of all the hexlogic buff pads and the softer ones says it can be used for sealants. So since i have never used them i asked one of my friends and he told me that they are used over the top of wax. In other words what i have already done is meguiar's cutting compound, the meguiar's ultimate compound ( had to get alot of scratches out), then meguiar's ultimate polish, then finally i put gold class paste wax. Now my friend said to now apply a sealant. I assuming then the sealant would keep it glossy for longer and basically protect the paint and the wax making it a lil more durable and maybe last longer so you don't have to do this process so often. Is this right? i ask because i went into local store and told the guy i want a sealant that i can apply with a DA buffer/polisher and hex logic pads. he gave me "Griot's one step sealant". I did a lil research before using and everything i came up with seems like you would use this in the place of the wax. And not use the wax at all in that case it wouldn't be put on top of wax to "seal" everything in and make it a lil more durable. I am so confused can any one help with either info about this one step sealant from griots. Or even other products that would be used on top of wax to "seal" everything in. i would really appreciate it thanks to everyone that answers ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sealants???

Sealants are typically applied after polishing, and before, or instead of wax.

The griots product mentioned is basically a synthetic cleaner wax (sealant/wax).

Post Thanks / Like

You got it backwards. Synthetic sealant before wax. Sealants are generally more durable and should be applied BEFORE a finishing wax. Of course the definitions are a bit muddled this day and age. I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, the Gold Class wax you used probably wont last very long anyway.

Look up the wonderful articles written on this forum by the one and only Mike Phillips. He explains the definitions clearly.

edit: Come to think of it, the Meguiar's wax you used is probably a sealant as well, despite what the bottle says.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbreeze225 View Post
    one of my friends and he told me that they are used over the top of wax.
    No, don't do that. Your friend is wrong.

I did a lil research before using and everything i came up with seems like you would use this in the place of the wax
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Sealants are typically applied after polishing, and before, or instead of wax.

The griots product mentioned is basically a synthetic cleaner wax (sealant/wax).
    so this " cleaner wax or sealant wax" can go under the wax or should i use a different product for this.

also does any one make a product that goes over the top of wax giving it a "seal"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbreeze225 View Post
    also does any one make a product that goes over the top of wax giving it a "seal"
    Then wouldn't you want something to "seal" this product
    that "seals" the Wax...ad infinitum...?

Note:
    Both Waxes and Sealants are paint-sealers/sacrificial-barriers.

Anyway...back to your question:
    Try using Meguiars M305 (contains Wax) as a "Wax-sealer".

I say:
    If you can Wax over M305...you can M305 over Wax!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

You have compounded and polished and waxed, yes? If you want to apply the Griot's sealant, you would need to remove the wax. If you desire, you can put the wax on top of the sealant. Some people do that; I do not.

Post Thanks / Like

M305 huh? Wow....been out of the loop longer than I thought.
    Bill