autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What should I do? ( PIC )

sand it out first! Get a brand new pencil, a hole puncher and some good but hefty sand paper (#800 i would suggest for blending purposes) hole punch out a piece and glue it to the eraser. stick the glued sand paper pencil right on there and spin the pencil so you are sanding the area out then apply your touch up paint!
    Genuine Finish Auto Detail & Vehicle Care
    Phoenix, AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Sand, rust reformer and some touch up paint. Won't be 100 percent perfect but close enough

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genuine Finish View Post
    sand it out first! Get a brand new pencil, a hole puncher and some good but hefty sand paper (#800 i would suggest for blending purposes) hole punch out a piece and glue it to the eraser. stick the glued sand paper pencil right on there and spin the pencil so you are sanding the area out then apply your touch up paint!
    Another vote for this process. Take your time doing this. Read more on this forum about using touch up paint. Don't get your expectations too high regarding the end result.

I am concerned about you mentioning using cutting compound. That sounds rather aggressive and goes counter to consistent advice on this forum to start with least aggressive on a test area, inspect work and move up a step is deemed necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsgntulok View Post
    Another vote for this process. Take your time doing this. Read more on this forum about using touch up paint. Don't get your expectations too high regarding the end result.

I am concerned about you mentioning using cutting compound. That sounds rather aggressive and goes counter to consistent advice on this forum to start with least aggressive on a test area, inspect work and move up a step is deemed necessary.
    Kinda to late, this afternoon I was very frustrated with family matters and i left the house without reading anyone's post. I began picking the rust out with a metal tool. Then I used some 1000 grit wet sand paper without water to try and sand the rust away. I got 85% of it out. Without thinking I began to put electric blue touch up paint on the area. Not only does it not match my dark midnight blue car, I'm afraid the rust will come back. Any suggestions for a novice? I have to stop working on my cars when I'm mad...

Post Thanks / Like
    Try rubbing alcohol undiluted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just work careful and gentle. Don't go slathering it on. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

1) Use a fiberglass rust pen, shape the tip, and scrape/sand as much of the rust as you can from the chip

2) Use a rust convertor for what ever is left behind
    3) Clean as best you can with paint prep
    4) Dr. Colorchip (as previously recommended)

You don't need 100% perfect substrate to use the product. You can expose to the "elements" the same day. Wait at least 14 days to put a high speed buffer on it (as recommended by the company).

Personally I would not use IronX on exposed metal because it will react (being that it is exposed metal).

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

It's to late for that!!
    I said above that I already applied paint. I sanded it down and cleaned it and applied paint. Around the chip their are deep 1000 grit sanding marks becuase I didn't use the pencil trick. Hopefully I can get those out next week when my supplies come. Does leaving 1000grit sand marks exposed that long do anything? I'm going to put a piece of painters tape on it... Ugghhhhh

All day I was thinking about picking at it. But I'm afraid I will pick up surrounding paint becuase I balanced it really good its flush with the normal paint.

The touch up paint I used doesn't have a clear coat I think, I wondering how it will act with compound. Maybe I can somehow blend it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyfella View Post
    It's to late for that!!
    I said above that I already applied paint. I sanded it down and cleaned it and applied paint. Around the chip their are deep 1000 grit sanding marks becuase I didn't use the pencil trick. Hopefully I can get those out next week when my supplies come. Does leaving 1000grit sand marks exposed that long do anything? I'm going to put a piece of painters tape on it... Ugghhhhh

All day I was thinking about picking at it. But I'm afraid I will pick up surrounding paint becuase I balanced it really good its flush with the normal paint.

The touch up paint I used doesn't have a clear coat I think, I wondering how it will act with compound. Maybe I can somehow blend it.
    first off, why would you use touch up paint of a different color? Second off, read above. You can remove the touch up paint with any number of things. Try undiluted alcohol first, otherwise any body shop prep solvent will work.

Third, why did you pick 1000 grit? I would have started with something a bit finer, like 2000 which will buff out easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post
    first off, why would you use touch up paint of a different color? Second off, read above. You can remove the touch up paint with any number of things. Try undiluted alcohol first, otherwise any body shop prep solvent will work.

Third, why did you pick 1000 grit? I would have started with something a bit finer, like 2000 which will buff out easily.
    I was mad, I was not thinking. I said I had family matters above. Also I read the alcohol post, but I didn't know that removes paint. I'm more afraid of removing paint around the touch up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.