autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wet-sanded through OEM clearcoat

Ok, so the vehicle is back from the airport and had a chance to snap some pictures. I've identified something I noticed using black tick marks. The change in shade during the sanding process was the first clue I went to far. Now I'm waiting for my bottle/brush and aeresol-type clear coat. I think the base coat looks good from the pic I took in the sun. Should I let the body shop take over at this point or move forward with the clear???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wet-sanded through OEM clearcoat-sanded-jpg   Wet-sanded through OEM clearcoat-polished-jpg   Wet-sanded through OEM clearcoat-sun-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Would the body shop charge you more if you tried it yourself and the results weren't very good? I can't imagine why they would as their job would be the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang81 View Post
    Would the body shop charge you more if you tried it yourself and the results weren't very good? I can't imagine why they would as their job would be the same.
    They shouldn't. They're gonna have to sand and clear either way. Really, he's got nothing to lose.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    New on AG. Don't want to bust your bubble, but from what I can see on the first pic, is the clear is way to gone. It's true , to do it right the whole panel should be cleared. If attempting to blend, try rolling back your tape edges and only blowing a little clear into the rolled edge. Also,on a blend of clear, you can wipe down the area beyond what you are blending to help soften the clear a little, to make it less noticeable. Go 2-3 inches pass, using base and clear reducer. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    try rolling back your tape edges and only blowing a little clear into the rolled edge.
    Can you explain further? I'm not getting what you mean....

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    you can wipe down the area beyond what you are blending to help soften the clear a little, to make it less noticeable.

I'm a newb at this - not getting what you mean....can you explain?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rolling tape or back taping means, having the tape already on your paper - I have a paper machine that puts the tape right on the paper- or put tape on edge of newspaper, you won't be laying that much clear to worry about having auto body-paper, put the tape edge where you want to end your seam and fold the paper back. You will then have a 180 degree rounded curve in your tape , as you spray the clear lightly up to your taped edge it will blow back an lighten the edge so you won't have a tape line. Hope this makes sense. With reference to wetting the edge, take reducer, base coat and clear coat reducer is the same, if you wipe your edge with it , it will help soften the clear just enough to also make the blend less noticeable. This is safe on cured clear. Hope I explained this a little better. As I said before , it's not the way to do a proper repair, but it should make it a lot less noticeable. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123