autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ipa

Post Thanks / Like

Ipa

Sorry if this has been covered already. (I'm sure it was but I couldn't find it). 90% alcohol is hard to find. 70% is sold everywhere. Is using 70% mixed with 25% water or straight OK? How about denatured alcohol. Also is spraying and wiping the mixture supposed to remove wax and sealers. I tried it with the 70% and water still beaded on the hood. Is it bad to use Megs 105 without removing the wax first?

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ipa

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Sorry if this has been covered already. (I'm sure it was but I couldn't find it). 90% alcohol is hard to find. 70% is sold everywhere. Is using 70% mixed with 25% water or straight OK? How about denatured alcohol. Also is spraying and wiping the mixture supposed to remove wax and sealers. I tried it with the 70% and water still beaded on the hood. Is it bad to use Megs 105 without removing the wax first?

Mark

Wax should be removed in the claybarring stage of prep work.

I use straight 70%. My next bottle of it I will be buying the 91% and running it full strength though.

Water can still bead somtimes after a wipe down. Do two or so. You will see the true finish soon enough. Also, after you make a couple swipes with the same MF towel it'll be clogged up with the old IPA and will be easier to get the fillers out. It will probably streak at this point though.

Technically IPA is a form denatured alcohol so it won't hurt anything. All alcohol that is not meant for consumption is denatured so that it will make you sick if you try to drink it.

You can wash a car with Dawn to removed previous waxes and such before a detail.

Mike Phillips

Sorry if this has been covered already. (I'm sure it was but I couldn't find it). 90% alcohol is hard to find.
    I think I found 90% IPA at Target, I'll check next time I'm over there. If you don't mind spending $7.00 to $8.00 go to any Lowe's, True Value or Home Depot and get a quart of Mineral Spirits, it will remove just about anything off the surface and wipes down more clear. IPA tends to wipe-off and leave the paint looking all streaky and hazy causing you to wipe more to get a clear view of the paint.

70% is sold everywhere. Is using 70% mixed with 25% water or straight OK? How about denatured alcohol. Also is spraying and wiping the mixture supposed to remove wax and sealers. I tried it with the 70% and water still beaded on the hood. Is it bad to use Megs 105 without removing the wax first?

Mark

Like zinc02gt posted, some paints will bead water without any wax, water beading is just a sign of surface tension and it doesn't take much to create surface tension on a smooth surface.

Meguiar's M105 or ANY abrasive compound or polish is going to obliterate any layer of wax or paint sealant off the paint after the first pad or two with any machine and any pad.

Just wipe the surface clean and then clean your pad and you'll be buffing clean and unhindered.

What are you working on?
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried both & I prefer the Mineral Spirits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I think I found 90% IPA at Target, I'll check next time I'm over there. If you don't mind spending $7.00 to $8.00 go to any Lowe's, True Value or Home Depot and get a quart of Mineral Spirits, it will remove just about anything off the surface and wipes down more clear. IPA tends to wipe-off and leave the paint looking all streaky and hazy causing you to wipe more to get a clear view of the paint.
    I bought 91% at Walmart, less than $3.

Thanks for the tip about the mineral spirits Mike, I will have to try this!

Post Thanks / Like

Do you use straight Mineral Spirits or is it diluted?

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mineral Spirits and/or 91% IPA straight.

Some paints tend to wipe off better with one or the other, so I have both on hand.

You should be able to get the 91% IPA at Walgreens, CVS, etc.

DLB

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, just to note, not all polishes will remove a sealant right off the bat. I have run into a few cars were I had to actually take solvent to the car several times to remove the sealant. The wool pad/105 combo was just gumming up badly. As a rule I would agree most sealant/waxes would be removed with a polish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    Mike, just to note, not all polishes will remove a sealant right off the bat. I have run into a few cars were I had to actually take solvent to the car several times to remove the sealant. The wool pad/105 combo was just gumming up badly. As a rule I would agree most sealant/waxes would be removed with a polish.
    That's where an experience detailer like yourself can stop, evaluate what's taking place and adjust their process accordingly.

One thing for sure, paint sealant technology is come a lot further in performance than it was just a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone asked a few posts ago, but no one answered. Probably missed it, but do you dilute the mineral spirits or use it full-strength?

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.