autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rookie mistake, need help

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    The same hand he's giving thumbs up with, yes.����
    Looks like he survived.��
    Read up on Hydrofluric acid, it's nasty stuff. It might not kill you right away but it attacks the heart and other organs, he might develop serious conditions later on in life he is exposed to it often.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is what Wikipedia has on it regarding health:

Health and safety[edit]

A hydrofluoric acid burn of the hand

left and right hands, two views, burned index fingers

HF burns, not evident until a day after
    In addition to being a highly corrosive liquid, hydrofluoric acid is also a contact poison. It should therefore be handled with extreme care, using protective equipment and safety precautions beyond those used with other mineral acids. Owing to its low acid dissociation constant, HF as a neutral lipid-soluble molecule penetrates tissue more rapidly than typical mineral acids. Because of the ability of hydrofluoric acid to penetrate tissue, poisoning can occur readily through exposure of skin or eyes, or when inhaled or swallowed. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident, and this can provide false reassurance to victims, causing them to delay medical treatment.[9] Despite having an irritating odor, HF may reach dangerous levels without an obvious smell.[5] HF interferes with nerve function, meaning that burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.[9] Symptoms of HF exposure include irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, and throat, eye and skin burns, rhinitis, bronchitis, pulmonary edema (fluid buildup in the lungs), and bone damage.[10]

Once absorbed into blood through the skin, it reacts with blood calcium and may cause cardiac arrest. Burns with areas larger than 160 cm2 (25 square inches) have the potential to cause serious systemic toxicity from interference with blood and tissue calcium levels.[11] In the body, hydrofluoric acid reacts with the ubiquitous biologically important ions Ca2+ and Mg2+. Formation of insoluble calcium fluoride is proposed as the etiology for both precipitous fall in serum calcium and the severe pain associated with tissue toxicity.[12] In some cases, exposures can lead to hypocalcemia. Thus, hydrofluoric acid exposure is often treated with calcium gluconate, a source of Ca2+ that sequesters the fluoride ions. HF chemical burns can be treated with a water wash and 2.5% calcium gluconate gel[13][14][15] or special rinsing solutions.[16][17] However, because it is absorbed, medical treatment is necessary;[11] rinsing off is not enough. Intra-arterial infusions of calcium chloride have also shown great effectiveness in treating burns.[18]

Hydrogen fluoride is generated upon combustion of many fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) parts.[19] Hydrofluorocarbons in automatic fire suppression systems can release hydrogen fluoride at high temperatures, and this has led to deaths from acute respiratory failure in military personnel when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the fire suppression system in their vehicle.[20] Hydrofluoric acid can be released from volcanoes, sea salt aerosol, and from welding or manufacturing processes.[5]

Hydrofluoric acid is also a highly reactive compound and must be stored carefully to prevent dangerous reactions, though it is not flammable. It reacts with bases, acids, and oxidants and attacks glass, ceramics, concrete, some forms of plastic, rubber, and coatings. When combined with methanesulfonic acid or polymerizing cyanogens, it produces explosive gases.[5]

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Magic Eracers work really well on things like paint transfer. You just have to be very careful using them. I use them as I would sand paper. As for using them on tree sap, that's not something effective. Alcohol is the best tree sap remover. And regarding going through clear, are you sure? Magic Eracer mare (sp?) the paint, so you have to compound and polish afterward. It might just have been a dull spot caused by the marring (same as when you wetsand).
    Well , look at the dark, almost black spots in the photo.Rookie mistake, need help-4runner3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Ya that made me cringe when he did that. I think he simply doesn't know how dangerous Hydrofluoric acid really is.
    At the recommended 4:1 dilution ratio, how much straight hydrofluoric acid is in a 32oz. dispensor bottle?

Reason I ask is because you could probably find some pretty spooky facts about fluoride. As a matter of fact, it clearly states on every single tube of toothpaste if you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing you better contact poison control right away... But I don't see anyone not brushing their teeth with it every single day.

Post Thanks / Like

Rookie mistake, need help

Magic Eracers work really well on things like paint transfer. You just have to be very careful using them. I use them as I would sand paper. As for using them on tree sap, that's not something effective. Alcohol is the best tree sap remover. And regarding going through clear, are you sure? Magic Eracer mare (sp?) the paint, so you have to compound and polish afterward. It might just have been a dull spot caused by the marring (same as when you wetsand).
    Alcohol did absolutely nothing to help remove this tree sap. I tried D120 @10:1 and @1:1, then I tried 2 different forms of hand sanitizer, let them dwell on the tree sap for a while and they did nothing. Next was straight 70% isopropyl alcohol, absolutely nothing to remove the tree sap. Magic Eraser struck through the clearcoat.. Finally I had to bear through it with aggressive clay and it took a good long while.This truck had been sitting under a tree for basically years..

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465964508-732691-jpg

It was a PITA to restore the shine to this truck.

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465964645-940506-jpg

But I got it dun. With my HF DA.

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465964679-927200-jpg

50/50 shot.

Rookie mistake, need help-imageuploadedbyagonline1465964729-864491-jpg

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does HF stand for Harbor Freight? I hate abbreviations... If so which one do you have and do you recommend it?

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent^

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    At the recommended 4:1 dilution ratio, how much straight hydrofluoric acid is in a 32oz. dispensor bottle?

Reason I ask is because you could probably find some pretty spooky facts about fluoride. As a matter of fact, it clearly states on every single tube of toothpaste if you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing you better contact poison control right away... But I don't see anyone not brushing their teeth with it every single day.
    C'mon man, toothpaste may have sodium fluoride in it, but that's not hydrofluoric acid. Did you know that water has two hydrogen atoms in each molecule? Do you know how flammable hydrogen is?? They used if for the fuel in the main engines of the space shuttle! So let this be a lesson to you--keep flame away from water because it's highly flammable because it's 2/3 hydrogen!

If only chemistry was a simple as you make it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rookie mistake, need help

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What if we told you that you might not feel an HF burn on your hand until the next day, and that even if you did, that running water over it for 15 minutes would do nothing to neutralize it?
    You made this comment the other day when we were having a similar discussion about Wheel Brightener.^

With all due respect, you could say anything you want about how it will supposedly burn my hand and even if you were to run water over it for 15 minutes it would do nothing to neutralize it... But that's just talk.

Darren proved your claim to be completely wrong. He actually speaks from experience [unless you actually believe he was suffering uncontrollable burns the following day] I'm sorry but I don't think he'd be stupid enough to do that to himself.

Who's word is credible in this situation? Darren who speaks from actual experience? Or someone who simply read an MSDS sheet?

...Sprays his hand soaking wet and continues filming his vid, describing how his arm isn't going to burn up or fall off due to "acid"

Or someone who "says" my hand would suffer severe burns if Wheel Brightener makes contact with skin...

I'll go with the actual proof and experience, thank you.
    And as far as running down the street or gutters where the kids ride their bikes.. Have you ever heard of a situation where any harm has actually occurred due to this? No, you haven't. Because the truth is that if even someones pet dog would turn up severely ill due to any product from any detailing manufacturer, that company would be in hot water. But you don't hear about things like that happening, because in the real world your far fetched stories don't actually happen.

How did we even get on this subject again? Why do you always hate on Darren? I mentioned him to OP because of Magic Erasers, not to get in this debate about acid based wheel cleaners. Lol.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'm gonna purchase a DA, (I was going to anyways) and hit it with some polish and a proper polishing pad and see what happens. If no results, I guess I'll try getting paint from dealer? Or should I look into Dr. Colorchip kit?? I heard people talk about Blender as well and saw a video where they are mixing clear with the base coat. Should I consider those ideas or just touch up, put down a spray clear, and then polish? Thanks

Also, is blender something you get from dealer? Is it one type for all colors? Lol, I'm totally clueless.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast