autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door Jambs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Door Jambs

For the rinse I turn the water flow down low or skip it all together. After the wash, I usually use the same mitt that has been soaking in bucket of fresh clean water to give the jambs a quick wipe while rinsing the rest of the car.... works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Door Jambs

I just use leftover Rinseless solution and a cheap towel then use the same for wheels then throw it away.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a few different methods for the jambs, if they are super dirty I do open the door and hit the jambs, bottom of the doors and side of doors while washing. Then I use the "rain" setting on my nozzle. If they are not that dirty, I hit it with rinseless and long shag towel, or after a wash just a quick wipe with a long shag while still wet. I use my crappier towels for that step as well. I am not burning 800GSM or edgeless towels on jambs.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cabrio View Post
    omg - lmao!
    See... I'm good for SOMETHING around hear!

Shhhhhh... Me keeps at LEAST 2~3 bundles of ol' use um' and toss um' Kirklands handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Am I the only one that opens the door while washing and runs my Micro-fiber wash mitt around the edges? I mean if you want it clean, clean it...

To me the paint in the door jams is no different than the paint on the hood. Clean it protect it.
    Nosirreeee you're not!

I'll even take my lil' electric pressure washer and hit the jambs.

Always hit them with a Wheel Woolie too! (On the tight spots, greasy spots and bottom.)

Then the sill areas and striker plate area it's a wash mitt and/or a soft brush.

And if that's not OCD enough...
    I keep botttles of WG and BF WOWA Sealant handy JUST FOR JAMBS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    I have a few different methods for the jambs, if they are super dirty I do open the door and hit the jambs, bottom of the doors and side of doors while washing. Then I use the "rain" setting on my nozzle. If they are not that dirty, I hit it with rinseless and long shag towel, or after a wash just a quick wipe with a long shag while still wet. I use my crappier towels for that step as well. I am not burning 800GSM or edgeless towels on jambs.
    Perfect!

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You don't rotate your microfiber towels? I usually buy the more expensive ones that I use for paint correction and wax/sealant, and the Costco type which I use as all purpose towels; drying, windshields, and if they're soft enough, for polish removal. When I launder the Costco towels, I start "rotating" them out, meaning when the dirt starts becoming too difficult to get them clean enough, I'll use them on the engine bay, door jambs, and wheel wells. The next step is the trash can. (although I hate throwing anything away) I notice that the door jambs are a place where rust can get a foothold, particularly the back doors.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post
    You don't rotate your microfiber towels? I usually buy the more expensive ones that I use for paint correction and wax/sealant, and the Costco type which I use as all purpose towels; drying, windshields, and if they're soft enough, for polish removal. When I launder the Costco towels, I start "rotating" them out, meaning when the dirt starts becoming too difficult to get them clean enough, I'll use them on the engine bay, door jambs, and wheel wells. The next step is the trash can. (although I hate throwing anything away) I notice that the door jambs are a place where rust can get a foothold, particularly the back doors.
    Was that meant for me?

If so.... well YES, I inspect AND categorize my towels after each use, wash, and dry.

The Costco's though are so cheap that even if you only use them once, you can toss them. What... at something like 42˘ each?

FWIW.... I'll inspect them, then mark them in the corner with a magic marker. Basically, 1 mark denotes one step down from new condition, 2 marks denotes wheels, inside of the fender lips, underneath bumpers, exhaust tips, front of jambs and door striker areas (grease possible) etc. Anything more than that and they are pure 'grease' towels for oil changes and brake jobs.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good system. Thanks for sharing it. If you don't mind, I'll start using your method.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    FWIW.... I'll inspect them, then mark them in the corner with a magic marker. Basically, 1 mark denotes one step down from new condition, 2 marks denotes wheels, inside of the fender lips, underneath bumpers, exhaust tips, front of jambs and door striker areas (grease possible) etc. Anything more than that and they are pure 'grease' towels for oil changes and brake jobs.

That's a really good system. I need to do that.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSMet View Post
    That's a good system. Thanks for sharing it. If you don't mind, I'll start using your method.
    Certainly guys!

I started doing that way back when, because I would find myself sometimes thinking a towel was in better condition weeks later than I did ***that moment*** I pulled it out of the dryer.

So with the mark, I can always take a quick look 'in the heat of the moment' and know EXACTLY what condition it's in. (When I was in a serious grading mode.)

Truth be told.... the marker never really washes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalNoodle View Post
    That's a really good system. I need to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast