autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I clean my 'wax' pad with Menzerna Power Lock?

Sooo....I read on here some tips on how to best take sealant off my 'wax' cause of being the newb that I am, I read some bad advice somewhere adn was told to never wash my 'was' pad for my DA and instead just use it when I am applying wax and when not, keep it in a baggy.

I am pretty sure this led to me unintentionally rubbing a dirty wax pad onto freshly polished exteriors GRRRR and leaving swirls!! GRRRR

Anyway--I tried tackling taking off any Sealant off the pad to bring it back to life. I plugged the drain on my mud room sink and filled it with hot water and mixed it with Palmolive dish soap/oxiclean soap.

I thoguht just letting it soak for 24hrs would take any of that sealant off. I go to check my sink last night and drain it. I am SHOCKED that the pad was still 'sticky' from old residue from teh Menzerna and its almost like it brought it back to life! I ended up gettinfg old residue on my bare hands...and was strange, left my hands 'waxy' despite trying to wash it after.

I then took my Chemical Guys citrus wash and did the asme thing with it, filled up the sink, let the pad sit in it mixed with water. I use this take off old wax with my foam cannon. It HAS to eat up the Power lock, if not....I don't have any idea!!

Any tips from you 'pros' out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I clean my 'wax' pad with Menzerna Power Lock?

Wash it as best you can and then use it as a dedicated pad for Powerlock.

The other option is mineral spirits. I have washed pads using mineral spirits and hot water/dish soap before in order to get all residue out. Think I picked that up from another user around here that has a thing about using pads that are discolored/dirty. I don't normally do that though because it's a lot of work and disposal sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral spirits, huh? Hmmm...where could I get that? At the local hardware stores?

Is that safe to put down the train or should I do this in a bucket? What's the exact process?

It's amazing how the PL has held up. It's as if I didn't have anything at all in my sink! It's almost scary and reminds me of the post I saw of a guy testing water repellent activity after an application of Sealant. The PL he said was almost impossible to take out off the 'mirror', so a saturated pad is probably impossible lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Power Lock is a great all around sealant - price, durability, ease of application.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

^^Agree completely! I love it...but it's scary how strong the stuff is.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using MPL (Menzerna PowerLock) for quite some time now.
    The MPL applicator pads go right into the wash combined with my drying towels, wash pads, etc.

I tend to lose track with all my applicator pads and haven't bothered to setup a dedicated applicator pad for MPL. No issues yet!

The other thing you can do if you want to really play it safe is use some All Purpose Cleaner to strip it off the pad. Let it soak in it overnight, take it out rinse thoroughly and let it dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can get mineral spirits at any hardware store. You can reuse it if you allow particulates to settle at the bottom and drain off the clear liquid - to dispose of it you want to put it in another container and label it properly depending on if your waste collection services takes that kind of stuff or not.

It's kind of a pain to use, but the only thing I've ever found that removes Powerlock. Some strong APC/degreaser like LA Totally Awesome might work, but I've never tried it.

Post Thanks / Like

I too use MPL and even after leaving it in a solution of DP polishing pad rejuvenator with occasional agitation and kneading for over 2 days, only a tiny bit came out and dropped to the bottom of the bucket. The pad still has wax in it and is extremely hydrophobic :/

Another user here suggested a few sprays of APC diluted 1:4 (4:1?) and then agitate before rinsing and then dropping into the DP pad rejuvenator to soak. I plan on trying this next time.

He said, don't soak it in the apc. Just spray it, let it penetrate and then agitate followed by rinse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matador View Post
    Sooo....I read on here some tips on how to best take sealant off my 'wax' cause of being the newb that I am, I read some bad advice somewhere adn was told to never wash my 'was' pad for my DA and instead just use it when I am applying wax and when not, keep it in a baggy.

I am pretty sure this led to me unintentionally rubbing a dirty wax pad onto freshly polished exteriors GRRRR and leaving swirls!! GRRRR

Anyway--I tried tackling taking off any Sealant off the pad to bring it back to life. I plugged the drain on my mud room sink and filled it with hot water and mixed it with Palmolive dish soap/oxiclean soap.

I thoguht just letting it soak for 24hrs would take any of that sealant off. I go to check my sink last night and drain it. I am SHOCKED that the pad was still 'sticky' from old residue from teh Menzerna and its almost like it brought it back to life! I ended up gettinfg old residue on my bare hands...and was strange, left my hands 'waxy' despite trying to wash it after.

I then took my Chemical Guys citrus wash and did the asme thing with it, filled up the sink, let the pad sit in it mixed with water. I use this take off old wax with my foam cannon. It HAS to eat up the Power lock, if not....I don't have any idea!!

Any tips from you 'pros' out there?
    When I get a pad like that I soak it in a citrus based cleaner it breaks down the oils.Then I pressure wash all the residual stuff till it's clean.wring out pad let dry good to go.on pads with heavy oxidation residue I throw the pad on a rotary and set speed at 2000 rpm then razor blade the top off of pad,but I don't recommend that for people to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I fill a clean bucket of APC and water. As I switch I toss the pad in and soak it for a little bit. Then use a couple drops of dawn and warm water totry to get as much out with my fingers letting the soap clean out as much as possible. Then rinse and into the washer it goes. That usually does the trick for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast