autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I clean my 'wax' pad with Menzerna Power Lock?

If it is anything like WG DGPS 3.0, I use a dawn/era combo directly on the pad. I palm it across the pad, then splash it with hot water.
    I try to kneed it a little then squeeze it in one hand and wipe the sealant that oozes out between my fingers with the other and a paper towel.
    Rinse, repeat, more soap, squeeze...and rinse. Maybe ten repetitions and there might be a clean pad in sight.

Soaking doesn't work and rubbing it on a grit guard makes a mess of the grit guard

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Toxix View Post
    I've been using MPL (Menzerna PowerLock) for quite some time now.
    The MPL applicator pads go right into the wash combined with my drying towels, wash pads, etc.

I tend to lose track with all my applicator pads and haven't bothered to setup a dedicated applicator pad for MPL. No issues yet!

The other thing you can do if you want to really play it safe is use some All Purpose Cleaner to strip it off the pad. Let it soak in it overnight, take it out rinse thoroughly and let it dry.
    How does it turn out after going into the wash?

I did that in the past, and the pad came out a bit fresher, but still with residue inside of it. Is my expecations wrong? Should I not be expecting the pad to be like my 'polish' pads that are almost brand new when I clean them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes, you can get mineral spirits at any hardware store. You can reuse it if you allow particulates to settle at the bottom and drain off the clear liquid - to dispose of it you want to put it in another container and label it properly depending on if your waste collection services takes that kind of stuff or not.

It's kind of a pain to use, but the only thing I've ever found that removes Powerlock. Some strong APC/degreaser like LA Totally Awesome might work, but I've never tried it.
    Yea--I tried soaking it in the CG's citrus car wash and hot water over night in my sink. STILL did nothing.

Given that it's a pain, I may hold off...for now on the mineral spirits.
    Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    When I get a pad like that I soak it in a citrus based cleaner it breaks down the oils.Then I pressure wash all the residual stuff till it's clean.wring out pad let dry good to go.on pads with heavy oxidation residue I throw the pad on a rotary and set speed at 2000 rpm then razor blade the top off of pad,but I don't recommend that for people to try.
    I did that with CG car wash. I do not have a rotary.

Quote Originally Posted by 808_detail_nut View Post
    I fill a clean bucket of APC and water. As I switch I toss the pad in and soak it for a little bit. Then use a couple drops of dawn and warm water totry to get as much out with my fingers letting the soap clean out as much as possible. Then rinse and into the washer it goes. That usually does the trick for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I let it soak in Palmolive Oxiclean detergent and hot water, CG Citrus car wash..and nothing. I have Simple green I may just pour in my sink mixed with hot water as my last resort...

Quote Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
    If it is anything like WG DGPS 3.0, I use a dawn/era combo directly on the pad. I palm it across the pad, then splash it with hot water.
    I try to kneed it a little then squeeze it in one hand and wipe the sealant that oozes out between my fingers with the other and a paper towel.
    Rinse, repeat, more soap, squeeze...and rinse. Maybe ten repetitions and there might be a clean pad in sight.

Soaking doesn't work and rubbing it on a grit guard makes a mess of the grit guard
    Hmm... interesting.

I may have to try this. I wonder if I just spray full strength Simple Green into it? I may try this with the Palmolive Oxiclean stuff. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I also might have brought some Zep industrial purple into the process to help cut it. More than likely I did.
    Either way, my black hybrid and my red CCS are clean when I am done.
    I like the thought pads are difficult to get clean because it means the car has a kick booty sealant on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Search for various pad cleaners nd use one. They work great. Just soak your pads for a few minor uses in a bucket with the cleaning solution mixed as directed and then either use a toothbrush or just your fingers. They clean up pretty easily.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda like the fact that it's a devil to get outta pads. In my brain that tells me it'll last a long time on your car!
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

It really does! It's insane. I must have put a layer on my beater in April maybe? The car still beads up. This was like a week ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Being both a hobbiest baker and auto detailer, my tools often serve both hobbies. I've often used a rolling pin to "wring" water/product out of my pads. Rinse/repeat, rinse/repeat, as necessary. If you're worried about cross contamination, put a piece of plastic wrap or a plastic Baggie on top of the pad. Or just pick up a dedicated "sealant applicator" rolling pin at a second hand shop.

Post Thanks / Like

So that means you use FG400 for cupcake icing?
    Mike Honcho

Post Thanks / Like

I've had success using Meguiar's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner. Got the surface wet with product, and (gloved hands) worked the wheel cleaner into the foam. Rinse thoroughly, mash the excess water out, and let dry. Sometimes I'll spin them on the PC to get the excess out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip! I think the pad is toast though. You can see the foam degrading. I think I put it through too much hell trying to get it clean. The pad doesn't really have much residue left in it though, which is good. I think this is going in the trash though.

Going forward I should wash the pad after every wax application right? And how should I wash the pad specifically? I should expect the pad to not be 100% completely rid of the wax after cleaning right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast