autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

An alternative way to prime (add product to) a pad: The "pasta roller" method.

Hello guys and girls, I would like to share with you this method that I use to prime my pads before DA polishing or compounding. I've never seen anyone else doing this before, so I named it "The Pasta Roller Method"

It's very simple. All you will gonna need is a plastic bag, a tube and a flat surface. Here I'm using a trash bag and cardboard tube.

First, open the plastic bag over your table, workbench, etc.

Then, add some product in the center of the bag. You don't need very much to prime the pad this way, you can use less than in the traditional circle or X pattern priming methods.

Just put a stripe, the length should be close to the pad diameter (in this case, 6").

Now, fold the bag close to the stripe.

And it's time to roll out the pasta!

You don't need to spread the product all over the bag, just try to cover an area similar to the pad area.

Now, unfold the bag. And this is what you get.

Push the pad against the plastic bag several times, "cleaning" the plastic bag with the pad.

And here it is: the pad is primed, and the product is homogeneously distributed over the working surface of the pad.

Notice that the product is concentrated where it should be, in the surface. In the other priming methods (circle or X pattern), when you spread the product with your finger or pressing the pad against the paint, you push the product deep inside the pad, saturating it in a region that is not going to contribute efficiently to you work and will make the cleaning of the pad more difficult.

I not only prime my pads this way, but I also add product during the buffing process with the same technique.

In my experience, this technique reduces the dust of the compounding step, prevent splitting and makes the pad easier to clean on the fly. But is also easier to dry buff if you do no pay attention. If you are going to try it, please let me know and leave your feedback.

PS.: Sorry for any typo, grammar error, etc...

Best regards,
    Rafael Sola

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An alternative way to prime (add product to) a pad: The "pasta roller" method.

Cool technique! Looks like you get some nice even pad coverage. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: An alternative way to prime (add product to) a pad: The "pasta roller" method.

Very cool!

I've been spreading it in my gloved hand, like lotion, then wiping it on the pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Very clever idea

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. Thanks for sharing!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like

im going to try this out on my next correction and let you know how it works. great idea and thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! Question...you ever worry about contaminates transferring from the plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    I've been spreading it in my gloved hand, like lotion, then wiping it on the pad.
    This is a great idea! Also remembers me to wear gloves more often when I handle those chemicals. I've been negligent, I confess.

Quote Originally Posted by 04Golf View Post
    im going to try this out on my next correction and let you know how it works. great idea and thanks for sharing!
    Great, let me know if this worked for you. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    Great idea! Question...you ever worry about contaminates transferring from the plastic?
    This is a good question. I don't think you have to worry, at least using the common compounds and polishes. The plastic bag I use is made of polyethylene, a chemical resistant plastic. I never noticed paint transfer from the bag to the pad. Also, the plastic remains visually intact after the whole buffing cycles (but I never reuse it).
    But this is important: if you will add product to the pad during the buffing, keep the plastic bag always folded, to avoid debris!
    Rafael Sola