autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: datailing around clear plastic protectant film

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    Mike,

Any reason for the preference over Blue Vinyl Tape over Green Automotive? I didn't see much written about it but how does it differ from 3M's regular blue painter's tape?

Thanks.
    It's smoother, has little to no adhesive pull, very good at bending/stretching around corners and complex shapes, and it can be bought in narrower sizes, though 1/4" seems to be the best all around size IMO...it is pricey though.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm thanks I'll have to pick some up next time I'm out.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    Mike,

Any reason for the preference over Blue Vinyl Tape over Green Automotive? I didn't see much written about it but how does it differ from 3M's regular blue painter's tape?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

It's smoother, has little to no adhesive pull, very good at bending/stretching around corners and complex shapes, and it can be bought in narrower sizes, though 1/4" seems to be the best all around size IMO...it is pricey though.

Exactly what I would have typed.

I'd also add that it hold up better than the normal paper type painter's tapes when you accidentally run a buffing pad over it.

It's really very good tape and if you look at any of the pictures from our Detailing Boot Camp Classes, our Thursday Night Extreme Makeovers and Show Car Makeovers you'll see we use it quite extensively for the reasons Chad listed.

It's one of my favorite tools.

Mike Phillips

Great example of how handy this thin, flexible tape is Chad....

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post

Here's another example from the 1969 AMX we wetsanded, cut and buffed...

Time Lapse Picture Capture of the 1969 AMX Nebraska Project

More pictures of the tape in action in the link above.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to pick up some of this tape on my next order.

Different, but related question: do you guys hand polish body lines before or after taping? Or asked another way before or after machine polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask here.

On my 96' GMC pickup the clear plastic protector at the lower part of my fenders has turned brittle and I want to remove it.
    I don't think I could heat it up and get it off in one piece.
    What would be the best way to remove it?, I'm sure there will be glue to deal with but I can remove it, just not sure how to get the plastic off.

Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastTbird View Post

Different, but related question: do you guys hand polish body lines before or after taping?

Or asked another way before or after machine polishing?

After as then you can remove any tape-line residue.

I call this, Perfectionist Detailing, that is rubbing out the thin space of paint that runs along trim that was covered by tape. I actually discuss this in in this article I wrote after first coming to Autogeek back in 2009. All the information in this article is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it and it's a re-write of an even older article on the topic.

Step-by-Step How-To use the Porter Cable 7424XP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Here we've taped-off the rubber gasket between the glass and the window frame and I'm pointing to show that there's about an 1/8th of an inch of paint that's not going to get buffed with either of the two polishing steps.

After the correction steps we'll remove the tape and carefully wax these areas for a uniform look that will match the polished areas next to the tape line.

While not perfectionist detailing in some eyes, remember this is a daily driver, not a show car.

You can invest more time and just run the tape down the rubber and get it close to the edge of the panel if you want or just overhang a little like I did here. It's your choice based upon what you're trying to accomplish and how much time you want to invest.

The thing about Perfectionist Detailing is that it is very time intensive. Here's the deal...

If it's your own car go for it as it's your time.

If you're detailing for money and you can get your customer's to understand the time involved to do this kind of detailing and to pay you by the hour for it... then again, go for it as it's a good gig if you can get it.

My experience is most won't want to pay for it for a daily driver and only a few will pay for it for SIV's and you still have to educate them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12