autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New car, needs love, what would you do?

My wife and I just bought a 2014 explorer sport in tuxedo black metallic. We couldn't pass it up, low miles, and with baby number 2 due in January we needed something that fits two car seats that are rear facing (big sister is only going to be about 20 months older). Mechanically, it was very well maintained. It looks like it was run through the car wash brushes weekly, swirled pretty bad.

It's going to get cold here in St. Louis in the next week, and I won't be able to do anything to it until after Thanksgiving. I have some McKees 360 but I'm thinking it will need a little more correction than that gives. So, do you:

A) Do it right the first time, and use a compound, polish and LSP or

B) Use the AIO to see how it does, and know that I have a good layer of protection on it for the winter, then do it right when the weather gets more pleasant and I have more free time

I have a PC, and will use CCS orange pads for the correction. I have 6 so I can swap out and clean them as needed.

I'm leaning towards option B because of the holidays and whatnot, and also because 360 gave pretty good results on my blue jean metallic F-150 (2 dark vehicles, I'm a glutton for punishment). They don't have to be perfect but I want them to look good and have something protecting the paint. They're both daily drivers but the explorer will fit in the garage. I can be swayed, however.

What say you, Autogeekers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New car, needs love, what would you do?

Hey congrats on the having another baby.

In your scenario I would go with the AIO option to get it cleaned up with the short amount of time you have on your hands. This way you can get the get the car detailed in time for the upcoming season. Later on next year when you have more time and the weather gets nicer you can focus your efforts on multi stepping the vehicle.

In the time being you can add more tools, products, etc to your arsenal as well as research a bit more on exactly what you want to do with it in terms of coating it or not and will be better prepared in that point in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    My wife and I just bought a 2014 explorer sport in tuxedo black metallic. We couldn't pass it up, low miles, and with baby number 2 due in January we needed something that fits two car seats that are rear facing (big sister is only going to be about 20 months older). Mechanically, it was very well maintained. It looks like it was run through the car wash brushes weekly, swirled pretty bad.

It's going to get cold here in St. Louis in the next week, and I won't be able to do anything to it until after Thanksgiving. I have some McKees 360 but I'm thinking it will need a little more correction than that gives. So, do you:

A) Do it right the first time, and use a compound, polish and LSP or

B) Use the AIO to see how it does, and know that I have a good layer of protection on it for the winter, then do it right when the weather gets more pleasant and I have more free time

I have a PC, and will use CCS orange pads for the correction. I have 6 so I can swap out and clean them as needed.

I'm leaning towards option B because of the holidays and whatnot, and also because 360 gave pretty good results on my blue jean metallic F-150 (2 dark vehicles, I'm a glutton for punishment). They don't have to be perfect but I want them to look good and have something protecting the paint. They're both daily drivers but the explorer will fit in the garage. I can be swayed, however.

What say you, Autogeekers?
    sonax cut and finish in one then Collinite.cant get any easier than that.you may need more pads though,the thin pro pads are great keeps the da spinning all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

With the sonax no need for multi step that's what makes sonax great.Its a one punch knock out product lsp ready.I personally don't care for aio unless it's a big project.Hd speed deos do a amazing job though.

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with Option B... and in the Spring Invest in a bottle of compound, finishing polish, and a lsp..

Post Thanks / Like

My vote is B. Get it clean and protected. Spend any extra time cleaning and protecting the interior. Do the exterior in the spring. Winter will trash the exterior anyway and you will just redo most of it again.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the same area, and the upcoming forcast does shows that fall is catching up to us finally.

I would go with a third option: Apply a long lasting, durable LSP to the vehicle and call it done until Spring when the weather is in your favor. Also, any correction you do now will most likely be undone somewhat over the Winter due to snow removal, ice, road salt, etc. I'm not familiar with 360's durability, but the AOI's I've used in the past can't touch a dedicated sealant. There area host of sealants or even Collinite products like 845 which will hold you over until you can do the job right.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Comgratulations on the new arrival coming. I wish health and happiness to you all. I would personally go with option B as well. I'd get some protection on it for the winter season and then tackle the bigger job for when things might settle down and you get a break from the harsh weather. Best of luck with everything.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Sr! Option B. I used Menzerna 3in1 and the same pad setup as you mentioned. Pic is a Ford Edge.
    New car, needs love, what would you do?-blk_menz3n1before-jpgNew car, needs love, what would you do?-blk_menz3n1after-jpg

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ive gotten great results with using an AIO on pretty nasty Tuxedo Black paint. As long as you can take your time, you can actually work an AIO and get some decent correction. So my recommendation would be....

Do a test spot or 2 and see if its something that you can live with. If not, wash, clay, and seal for winter until you have the time.

Note.......when the baby comes, you may not have the time for a full proper correction, so choose wisely.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast