autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need advice with polishing black car

I need some professional advice, Not sure if this is the right place for this question but here it goes.
    I'm gonna be working on a 2012 black Honda accord. I ran a test spot using M205 on a orange pad with a PC. cleaned up nice and removed all swirls and scratches. when I hit it with the brinkmann light, Deep in the paint I can see what resembles fish scales but very small. hundreds of them and some look like very small half circles. So I switched up pads and used a white pad with the M205. same problem. Also tried V36 by CG white and orange pad and same problem. What am i doing wrong? Also posted some pictures of what I have and would appreciate which products to use and what follow up steps.
    Car was clay'd using CG light clay, pads are from CG. i also have a makita rotary if needed. Thanks In advance
    here is what I have. White pad is not pictured

This pic shows the swirls and scratches.
    Picture below shows and after pic after 2 passes with M205. Fish scales are not visible

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need advice with polishing black car

Not seeing the fish scales you are referring to? From your pic, the paint looks pretty good. Have you tried polishing with a white pad? Maybe what you see are just some micro scratches from the compound that a polish would remove?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    Not seeing the fish scales you are referring to? From your pic, the paint looks pretty good. Have you tried polishing with a white pad? Maybe what you see are just some micro scratches from the compound that a polish would remove?
    This was the result of a second pass with a white pad. fish scales are too small for the camera to capture. you can only see them with the brinkmann light. very small half circles and circles

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using a porter cable or a rotary? It sounds like you have extremely soft paint And you're using too aggressive and not working 205 long enough. Also could be that you have a super finicky paint for paints like that but I've encountered a use menzerna Super intensive polish on a white or orange because it has a super long working time allows you to break down the polish fine enough, Then I would use 3m ultrafine or menzerna super finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Also what speed are you using on your machine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to help another fellow member: I not sure of the fish scales your talking about.

Need advice with polishing black car-imageuploadedbyagonline1375944864-472908-jpg

Need advice with polishing black car-imageuploadedbyagonline1375944887-969673-jpg

^ I tried zooming it in, but I still am still note sure what your specifically talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I know what your talking about. Today my cousin dropped off he's old Chevy SS black truck hood. It was beat so went straight to m101 with optimum MF pads and the result was almost flawless and to some it could be LSP ready, actually first time using M101 but the results were incredible.

Now I did however have very slight haze that my eyes could catch, I just ran out of 205..so I had to use Megs 82 which is a DAT polish. I started with a tangerine pad and soon realized I was working backwards because the polishing was leaving more tiny scratches and slight haze. I have a black finishing pad that switched to and that left almost a flawless finish, but after further inspection, I noticed what looked like haze but like you described they looked like tiny scales, to my eyes they look deep deep in the paint.

I tried taking a pic but it's to dark now, I will take some in the morning outside to see if we have the same problem. Mine however are not random or scattered, but instead they make 2 rows of what I speak of that run parallel to each other 1' apart off each other.....Could be a flaw that is now present from polishing? pics will follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    Just trying to help another fellow member: I not sure of the fish scales your talking about.

Need advice with polishing black car-imageuploadedbyagonline1375944864-472908-jpg

Need advice with polishing black car-imageuploadedbyagonline1375944887-969673-jpg

^ I tried zooming it in, but I still am still note sure what your specifically talking about.
    It's hard for the camera to capture them. I'm sure there is another term for this issue, I'm calling it fish-scales because they resemble them. I'm guessing they're swirls. here's 2 better pictures. the lens captured some of them in color but there are allot more that the lens didn't capture.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally captured some of the swirls with my Iphone. My camera wasn't auto focusing.
    Again this is just portions of the damage caused by the pad. Its evenly damaged. In person they look like very small half circles or fish scales.
    This was done with an Orange pad using m205, 6 speed on a porter DA. I saw the damage and switched to a white pad using M205 and eventually tried V36 and these are the results

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaTech View Post
    I believe I know what your talking about. Today my cousin dropped off he's old Chevy SS black truck hood. It was beat so went straight to m101 with optimum MF pads and the result was almost flawless and to some it could be LSP ready, actually first time using M101 but the results were incredible.

Now I did however have very slight haze that my eyes could catch, I just ran out of 205..so I had to use Megs 82 which is a DAT polish. I started with a tangerine pad and soon realized I was working backwards because the polishing was leaving more tiny scratches and slight haze. I have a black finishing pad that switched to and that left almost a flawless finish, but after further inspection, I noticed what looked like haze but like you described they looked like tiny scales, to my eyes they look deep deep in the paint.

I tried taking a pic but it's to dark now, I will take some in the morning outside to see if we have the same problem. Mine however are not random or scattered, but instead they make 2 rows of what I speak of that run parallel to each other 1' apart off each other.....Could be a flaw that is now present from polishing? pics will follow.
    Bingo! You have to look deep to see them. With the naked eye it looks flawless as you can see by the first picture, but looking deep into it you can see the tiny scales.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast